Report: Oilers fire stats blogger Tyler Dellow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Pretty obvious they never listened to him anyway. Gotta wonder why they even bothered to hire him in the first place if they weren't going to listen to him at all.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
This has become comical. All you folk who think you've shown me up don't understand what I've said in the slightest. Read carefully, I can help out if need be.

Doctor No said:
Teams are doing proprietary work that's significantly more advanced than anything in the public domain.
supahdupah; said:
Hah, yeah right. They have special magic math no one else does.

This is what I read. Teams hire companies to give advanced stats, many of which would not be found in public domain.

Repeat your position if people are misunderstanding it.

eklunds source

Jul 23, 2008
Ed Snider's basement
Total number of times Dellow or anyone else said that there is no place for visual talent analysis and that stats should be the singular way that hockey teams are built: 0

Seems like most of you forgot that.
The funny thing is that Dellow was really, really into looking for trends in the data, then analyzing video to find out why those trends existed. He was the farthest thing from "stats forever".

I can't link it (because his website went down) but his analysis about Boudreau and the effects on defensive zone faceoffs was great, as was how he analyzed the Maple Leafs' breakout.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Pretty obvious they never listened to him anyway. Gotta wonder why they even bothered to hire him in the first place if they weren't going to listen to him at all.

He was hired because Eakins asked them to hire him. He worked mostly with the coaching staff.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Go ahead and re-state your position, then.

Why would I do that? This isn't my job. If someone wants to ask what I mean when I say specific things, I'd be happy to explain. That's not how the internet works though is it? Someone I don't know would rather tell me they have zero respect for me. Keep on keepin' on...

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
What are you talking about? I do have access to all the data. Its recorded in every game. I never claimed to have knowledge of every technique. Bizarre.

If an organization tracks where every shot on goal is taken from on the ice - do you have access to that data just by the games being public record? Just having access to the games itself does not mean that you automatically have access to the underlying activity that occurred in the game. Unless I'm missing something of course.

Overall, I think it's funny that certain people in the media seemed to be gloating about this. I realize that Dellow rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, but someone making him out to be a reason for the struggles in EDM is hysterical. He was there for something like 6 months in an advisory role. Understanding how analytics plays into scouting, player usage, and the impact on player valuation is a long term project.

IMO - unfortunately for Dellow, he never played for the Oilers and has no rings, so he was kicked to the curb by the Oilers brain trust.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
If an organization tracks where every shot on goal is taken from on the ice - do you have access to that data just by the games being public record? Just having access to the games itself does not mean that you automatically have access to the underlying activity that occurred in the game.

It's funny that certain people in the media seemed to be gloating about this. I realize that Dellow rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, but someone making him out to be a reason for the struggles in EDM is hysterical. He was there for something like 6 months in an advisory role. Understanding how analytics plays into scouting, player usage, and the impact on player valuation is a long term project.

IMO - unfortunately for Dellow, he never played for the Oilers and has no rings, so he was kicked to the curb by the Oilers brain trust.

That's totally wrong though. The data is available to anyone who wants to gather it. 1 guy tracked player zone entries and exits for an entire season because he wanted to. I built a tool that parses every recorded game event with all relevant contextual data associated so i could look at temporal effects of specific events. Just because I was curious. People massively underestimate the curious and inquiring mind.

Bob Cole

Tom ******* Brady
Oct 30, 2009
Oilers fans: did you notice any impact from this guy's hiring? e.g. did good possession players get more ice time.

Guy seemed like a ****** anyway.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I'd assume because you'd like someone - anyone - to take you seriously.

If that's not your goal, then by all means, carry on.

You think I care if someone who couldn't be bothered to actually read what I say doesn't take me seriously? Who does that reflect on?

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
You think I care if someone who couldn't be bothered to actually read what I say doesn't take me seriously? Who does that reflect on?

Well, I *did* read what you said, and I still don't understand you. No one else in the thread appears to, either.

So either you explained it well and none of us can read, or it needs to be explained better.

As for your "it's not my job" defense, I presume that nothing on HFBoards is your job. And yet, you post anyhow. My conclusion is that you must get some enjoyment out of doing so.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Well, I *did* read what you said, and I still don't understand you. No one else in the thread appears to, either.

So either you explained it well and none of us can read, or it needs to be explained better.

As for your "it's not my job" defense, I presume that nothing on HFBoards is your job. And yet, you post anyhow. My conclusion is that you must get some enjoyment out of doing so.

It isn't my job as in I don't feel obligated to make sure everyone can comprehend my post. Why do you assume I don't have a hot clue what I am talking about?

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
It isn't my job as in I don't feel obligated to make sure everyone can comprehend my post. Why do you assume I don't have a hot clue what I am talking about?

Fine, so you don't feel obligated. By the same token, why should I put forth extra effort to find the hidden brilliance behind your posts? It's not my job, either.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
It's pretty surprising how many people get suckered in by Moneyball and stay that way despite being shown otherwise.

The book focuses in on minor additions to a team that had a successful past and ignores the players who were much bigger contributors to the success of the As because they don't fit the advanced stats mould.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Fine, so you don't feel obligated. By the same token, why should I put forth extra effort to find the hidden brilliance behind your posts? It's not my job, either.

Yes, hidden brilliance. Or intelligent discourse. You win, you out insulted me, therefor you are more correct.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
That's totally wrong though. The data is available to anyone who wants to gather it. 1 guy tracked player zone entries and exits for an entire season because he wanted to. I built a tool that parses every recorded game event with all relevant contextual data associated so i could look at temporal effects of specific events. Just because I was curious. People massively underestimate the curious and inquiring mind.

The raw data might be available, but that doesn't mean that you actually have the data. From my perspective, what you are talking about (manually tracking of stats), is subjective and of limited use because of the lack of league wide data.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
Yes, hidden brilliance. Or intelligent discourse. You win, you out insulted me, therefor you are more correct.

It can't be discourse if only one person understands what they're talking about. Discourse implies debate.

And if you're not willing to clarify what you're talking about, then there's no debate. Hence, "hidden brilliance".

If you find that insulting, then so be it. Feel free to reveal yourself, and what you're talking about. Simultaneously demanding to be taken seriously, yet ignoring requests to better understand you by those you are seeking to take you seriously, doesn't seem like a tenable position.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
It can't be discourse if only one person understands what they're talking about. Discourse implies debate.

And if you're not willing to clarify what you're talking about, then there's no debate. Hence, "hidden brilliance".

If you find that insulting, then so be it. Feel free to reveal yourself, and what you're talking about.

You haven't made an effort at all, give me a break.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa

If you find that insulting, then so be it. Feel free to reveal yourself, and what you're talking about. Simultaneously demanding to be taken seriously, yet ignoring requests to better understand you by those you are seeking to take you seriously, doesn't seem like a tenable position.

Now I am demanding to be taken seriously? You are being very dishonet here. I am curious if you seriously believe your insults somehow make you correct.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
Now I am demanding to be taken seriously? You are being very dishonet here. I am curious if you seriously believe your insults somehow make you correct.

Fine, so you don't care if you're taken seriously. Apparently, I understand this much of your point. Maybe I'm learning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->