Report: NHL suspended referee Tim Peel 1 game following Puck Daddy pic/interview

Nynja*

Every former ref ever asked admits that one of their responsibilities is game management, do you think that they all come to this conclusion only after they hang up the skates ?

If you dont like the idea that a call in the first isn't a call in the third, that must really affect your ability to enjoy games.

This isn't tennis where calls can be made by computers, there is a lot of subjectivity in every call and that subjectivity falls on the refs. if the " go by the book" crowd gets their way no more cycles as every single thing in front of the net is illegal ( cross checks slashes interference).

and if you get 5 calls in a row against you, my guess is that the next marginal call on the other team gets called.

A hook should be a hook whether its 2 minutes into the game or 30 seconds to go or overtime. There shouldnt be subjectivity on calls like this, its either a hook, or its not, the time or score shouldnt dictate anything.

Now, the subjectivity of a heavy, but legal, hit in a 4-0 beatdown is open to interpretation. Yes, it might be a legal hit, but it can be argued that theres no reason to lay down the body when the game is out of hand as that will cause tempers to flare, which is what the officials have to manage.

Having said that, the hit in question was perpetrated by Erhoff and Ovie just had none of it, and there was no reason to penalize Ovie for out muscling Erhoff like that.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
I guess all players henceforth can't drink. Ridiculous.

Catch up. This wasn't about him drinking.

A hook should be a hook whether its 2 minutes into the game or 30 seconds to go or overtime.

If you're okay with six million penalties a game because you want every single little tiny hook called, and overtime power play goals as a result of little tiny hooking calls, that's your preference and I'll respect that. But you're in the minority.

It's the exact same thing as cops not pulling over drivers doing 20kph over the limit on a sunny day, but tagging you for doing 10kph over during a snowsquall. The rules change based on the conditions.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
If referees were disciplined the way HFboards wishes they were, there would be no NHL-caliber refs left to officiate. :laugh:

I'm not saying Peel's a good ref, but you can't suspend someone for imperfect job performance. That's not how it works. Further, everyone saying, "The NHL wants to pretend their refs are perfect" is talking out of their ass. I have no doubt these guys get an earful when they make mistakes.

I also find it funny how people moan about how "Game seven of the playoffs should be called like game one of the regular season", but the second their team gets called for a relatively minor infraction in a big moment, suddenly everyone is shouting, "You can't make that call at this time of the game!!!"

You just can't win when everyone expects perfection. The only solution is to stop freaking expecting perfection.

Nynja*

Catch up. This wasn't about him drinking.

If you're okay with six million penalties a game because you want every single little tiny hook called, and overtime power play goals as a result of little tiny hooking calls, that's your preference and I'll respect that. But you're in the minority.

It's the exact same thing as cops not pulling over drivers doing 20kph over the limit on a sunny day, but tagging you for doing 10kph over during a snowsquall. The rules change based on the conditions.

Not sure if you're just talking trash for the sake of it, but lets play along.

If something is called for a hook in the first 2 minutes of the game, that same action should be called with 2 minutes to go in a 2-1 game.

Your driving conditions analogy would be more akin to a ref keeping order in a blowout, where a heavy legal hit gets penalized to maintain order. If you want a driving example about a hooking penalty, it would be more like this:
A cop sets up a speed trap: sees a nice car driving 30 over the limit, but the cop lets it go because "hey, nice wheels". A 15 year old Toyota rolls through 15 over the limit, and the cop turns on the sirens.

DogsFan*

Tim Peel is not suspended. He was never suspended. He referee'd on Saturday and is scheduled to ref tonight. Why is this thread still open?

Random Forest

May 12, 2010

Are you perfect at your job? No? Should you be suspended for not being perfect? Okay, then.

How many jobs are held to that standard? As someone said earlier, maybe surgeons and pilots are expected to be perfect, but the list is short. It's outrageous that anyone would expect a referee to be perfect (or even near it).

We expect players to make mistakes every game, but we don't expect or tolerate the same from refs. I find that to be an odd double standard.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
If something is called for a hook in the first 2 minutes of the game, that same action should be called with 2 minutes to go in a 2-1 game.

The repercussions for a penalty in the first two minutes of a game are greatly different than those of a penalty in overtime. They might both be two minutes, but that's where the similarities end, and that's why the standard is different.

Nobody is advocating that penalties like this* be ignored ever; that's beyond the standard at any point in the game. But anything marginal should be called or not called depending on the context of the game, regardless of whether it was a penalty at the start of the game, because the variables that made it a penalty at the start of the game had changed.

*15 years later, and I'm still pissed that wasn't called :laugh:

Chrisinroch

Jan 5, 2013
The Golden Triangle
Definitely suspended for admitting the NHL fabricates the outcomes of games.

Which undermines the integrity of the game.

If one team is that good and draws 10-11 penalties and scores 4-5PP goals and wins 9-1. So be it.

changing how a game is called because of the score ruins the integrity of the competition.

We demand that refs manage the game and then complain that they do?!? How many times do you hear coaches, commentators and fans complain that a ref "lost control of the game" ?

"Damned if you do...damned if you don't" I guess

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Well at least there's confirmation that ALL the crap we've seen in south Florida was not an accident.

Saul Goodman66*

total b.s, why cant a man have an honest brew after work? Reminds me of an old employer who warned us not to drink publically and that we represent the company blah blah blah

Alcohol is legal and there's nothing wrong with a few drinks. Not everyone abuses alcohol just like not everyone abuses food.

Edit: sorry but im late to this and didnt realize the whole story

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Couldn't have happened to a better guy. Peel is incompetent at best and likely doing the game a favor by missing a night. My favorite Tim Peel blunder of all time. Fast forward to 21 seconds

We threw so much crap on the ice that night.

Nynja*

The repercussions for a penalty in the first two minutes of a game are greatly different than those of a penalty in overtime. They might both be two minutes, but that's where the similarities end, and that's why the standard is different.

Having the rulebook changed for penalties that arent a potential player safety issue (hooking, tripping, etc) due to the time/score is what causes players, and fans, to get frustrated and start taking cheap shots.

If its a hook at the start of the game, it should be a hook at the end of the game. It doesnt matter if its 2 minutes in the first, or 2 minutes into OT. It doesnt matter if its 2-2, or 4-0. The ref should be constant throughout for calls like that.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
NHL suspends ref for bar photo

Due to optics, mainly. Peel met with Puck Daddy/Greg Wyshynsky the day before a game and to avoid the optics of a call that may go the way of "fan" Wysh, he didn't play the game. (No dock of pay)

One would think that officials should be suspended for what they did, not what they might do.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
This is such a stupid non-story. All it's done is illustrate a) that a francophone radio station blew it all out of proportion, b) that Wyshynski doesn't like being called a "fan" instead of a "journalist," and c) that Tim Peel knows he's not the greatest ref in the world but is still a human being.

Give it up to social media for making mountains out of molehills.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Yeah I'm not seeing a big deal of the story either. For public professions that deal with children (i.e. teachers) posting a photo like this is a major no-no.

I don't see any taboo for an official nor it having any potential outcome in a game.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004

If this story is legit, then I am not surprised. This happens in every league, pro amateur, college, etc.

He was not suspended for having a drink. Refs apologizing for blown calls happens all the time. Remember, they do not have luxury of instant replay from 523 different camera angles. They have 1 view in real time. Afterwards, they will look at replays and realize the made the correct or incorrect call.

Anyone recall the ump who cost the pitcher the perfect game and then apologized the next day at pre-game conference?

He was suspended (if he was actually suspended) for giving the interview.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Having the rulebook changed for penalties that arent a potential player safety issue (hooking, tripping, etc) due to the time/score is what causes players, and fans, to get frustrated and start taking cheap shots.

If its a hook at the start of the game, it should be a hook at the end of the game. It doesnt matter if its 2 minutes in the first, or 2 minutes into OT. It doesnt matter if its 2-2, or 4-0. The ref should be constant throughout for calls like that.

Have you ever officiated a game? Part of the reason they will let the borderline hook go in OT is because they do not want a borderline call to decide a game.

Same thing in the blow-out. Both teams know a game is over so it could be the time to do something stupid and not hurt their team. So, first sign you see you squash it before it gets out of control. In a 2-2 game with 3 minutes late, the questionable hit is a lot LESS likely to be a case of a player taking liberties or getting revenge.

I officiate 2 different sports at various levels and I will definitely officiate a blow-out much differently than a close game. And yes, I will tell coaches, captains, even players that something was a situational call. Here's one I remember. Mens baseball, top division. Both teams had players who played college and/or minor league ball. Visiting team was up 17-2 in the top of the 6th. (Mercy rule was 12 runs after 6, 10 after 7). Anyways, pitcher gets first 2 guys out, then 3rd batter hits a double. First pitch, he steals 3rd. As the catcher is throwing to 3rd, the batter says to himself, "What the hell is he doing? If I get hit by a pitch, I am going to smack him." Runner was clearly safe, throw was high and wide. Sure enough, next pitch hits the batter. Not a real beanball, batter didn't get hurt. I ejected the pitcher immediately and as the batter ran to first he looked at his own teammate and told him he was an *******. Pitcher walked off field quietly, game went on. Inning ended, I told the catcher of the team that was hit to tell the pitcher I dont want anything stupid. They went 3 up, 3 down, game over. I told both captains/coaches quietly that I was not going to report the ejection, I just didn't want the game to turn into a **** show. Both coaches understood, both agreed ejecting him immediately was the right thing to do. If it was a 3-2 game and the batter stole 3rd and then the batter got hit with the next pitch, do you think I would have ejected him? Before this it was a nice quiet easy game. The teams were just playing, no trash-talk or problems at all. Just the losing team had a real bad day. No showboating or anything else by the winning team. Just one idiot not understanding baseball etiquette. BTW, my partner did say if the play at 3rd was anywhere close, he would have called him out. Throw was high and wide third basemen had to leap to prevent ball from going to outfield.

Last edited:

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I hate Wyshinksji. He's not funny, he's not informative, he's not interesting, but he is an idiot. Posting that photo is just evidence of that. It is amazing how big an ego he has for someone who can't get work with a real hockey media outlet.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
We demand that refs manage the game and then complain that they do?!? How many times do you hear coaches, commentators and fans complain that a ref "lost control of the game" ?

"Damned if you do...damned if you don't" I guess
Exactly. It is either he lost control or he took control, but then the complaint is "he didn't let them play.."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->