Report: Kolnik would break ranks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
forbesy said:
No one's mentioned it yet, but the TSN article is now titled "Kolnik backs off statements" and it includes this tidbit

less then 7 hours, the NHLPA party whip is getting better with practice

WTF? Who are they trying to kid?

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
forbesy said:
No one's mentioned it yet, but the TSN article is now titled "Kolnik backs off statements" and it includes this tidbit

WHAT????

I thought only the NHL had a gag order? :D

Shadow Journal

Non, je ne regrette rien
Jun 20, 2003
this makes the NHLPA look worse in my oppinion, although its probably not the popular opinion.

Edit: Not that he said it in the first place, the fact that he was obviously told to change his statements.

Although its pretty obvious that the NHLPA doesn't care about the fans opinions.

edit2: spelling

Last edited:

Shadow Journal

Non, je ne regrette rien
Jun 20, 2003
mr gib said:
who cares?

stupid.jpg

Peter

Mar 1, 2002
Alberta
Visit site
forbesy said:

Rocky Thompson was also interviewed and he definetly said he would go play as a replacement player and wouldn't feel bad about it either: because NHL players are right now taking jobs away from Europeans. Stephan Weiss did a beautiful tap dance around the same question: didn't say yes but didn't say no.

Bob McKenzie is saying that the list of these type players willing to play right now is bigger than we think but not to get too excited by it: it is the star players who are calling the shots.

x-bob

Jul 9, 2004
Montreal
I have so much respect for this kid after I read this article. Maybe with these simple words, he can start up some of the negotiations.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Peter said:
it is the star players who are calling the shots.

And why shouldn't it be? It is the stars and the veteran players who provide continuity to the organization year after year. Why should they hand the reigns over to bubble players? That makes no sense.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Juri who? Why would San Antonio players be getting updates from the NHLPA. Dont they have their own PA?

OF course a lot of players that otherwise might not make the NHL will consider crossing. Or some vets with one last shot. But any player who thinks he will eventually make it the NHL on his own, will at first think seriously about crossing, but I suspect the majority of those like Weiss will stick together in the end.

I dont see what the big surprise is that some players are thinking of crossing a picket line. Especially ones that otherwise may not have shot. Why would the PA worry if they do. If fans want to watch AHL hockey, its already available cheaper.

HughJass*

Bicycle Repairman said:
And why shouldn't it be? It is the stars and the veteran players who provide continuity to the organization year after year. Why should they hand the reigns over to bubble players? That makes no sense.

One thing I have never been able to get used to is this silly thinking that stars rule all.

The NHLPA is very shaky. Playing hockey in Europe and the AHL...comments made weekly from a player....union heads getting hammered in debates...yeah, the player's union looks mighty strong to me.

Just come back to the bargaining table with a better luxury tax offer, demand revenue sharing, and ask for lower free agency restrictions and let's get this over with. Damn it, I'm tired of missing HNIC already.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
WHurricane16 said:
One thing I have never been able to get used to is this silly thinking that stars rule all.

The NHLPA is very shaky. Playing hockey in Europe and the AHL...comments made weekly from a player....union heads getting hammered in debates...yeah, the player's union looks mighty strong to me.

Just come back to the bargaining table with a better luxury tax offer, demand revenue sharing, and ask for lower free agency restrictions and let's get this over with. Damn it, I'm tired of missing HNIC already.

The NHLPA is stronger and more united than it has ever been before, thanks largely to the courageous leadership of Bob Goodenow, Ted Saskins and others. That the locked out players are tasking their skills to different corners of the globe does not weaken their resolve.

HughJass*

Bicycle Repairman said:
The NHLPA is stronger and more united than it has ever been before, thanks largely to the courageous leadership of Bob Goodenow, Ted Saskins and others. That the locked out players are tasking their skills to different corners of the globe does not weaken their resolve.

Wow, do you work for the Union? Because that's the most ass-snifing comments I've ever read on these boards.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Bicycle Repairman said:

That was funny. You should write campaign speaches.

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
Beukeboom Fan said:
Yeah, those veterans (using Brendan Morrison as my example) are much better off toeing the NHLPA hard line and playing in Europe for $120,000. Anyone else find it ironic that Morrison is willing to risk an injury for approximately 4% of what he's scheduled to make in the NHL?

Let's be serious. Once you cut through all of the rhetoric, the players are going to HAVE to take a pay-cut. They can either do it now, and minimize their losses by not losing an entire year of pay, or wait for a year for the owners to declare an impasse. Look at it another way - what does a 30 YO vet have to earn to make up for losing a year in the prime of his career?

If you look at the TSN proposal, with a $6M player cap, you would still have plenty of Vet's making $3M. They might be making $4M under their current contacts, but if the average salary is $1.4M'ish the players won't be in that bad of shape.

Hey, I don't disagree with you. I'm not heading up the witch hunt for PA members, but I'm also not finding myself on the same lines of thinking as they are. I just intended to point out that there are a whole lot of people getting awful self-righteous over this whole situation. I don't agree with the Union leadership's stance on the issue (I don't agree with the league's either) but I certainly wouldn't say that Modano's got his head up his rear or any other player for that matter, simply for not breaking ranks. I simply don't think that many of us would behave much differently than the players are if we were in their shoes, but then again, I never bought the "pro athletes are rich, selfish brats" line to begin with.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Bicycle Repairman said:
Can you argue that Bob Goodenow hasn't done a superlative job on behalf of his clients?
No, he's done a beautiful job of sculpting the nose to spite the face.
He's done a great job of ruining the NHL. Arguable a better job than Bettman.

Bicycle Repairman said:
You should be so lucky but to have such a champion in your corner.
I dont need a union flunky looking out for me thanks. I was just making fun of your "courageous leadership" flag waving. Alan Eagleson would be proud.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Cawz said:
No, he's done a beautiful job of sculpting the nose to spite the face.
He's done a great job of ruining the NHL. Arguable a better job than Bettman.

Gary Bettman has done everything he's been asked of by his employers and then some. To the extent that the NHL Board of Governors amply rewarded him with a seven year contract extention and virtually unmatched executive power. He is also beyond reproach.

If you ask me, the blame lies squarely on the shoulders of the fans themselves. Yes, you read correct. They demanded a Star System, Stars who are judged by the size of their contracts as reported in the media.

There's little wrong with the NHL today beyond a minor labour squabble.

Funny you should bring up Alan Eagleson though. Or are you harbouring a secret hankering for a return to hockey's corrupt past?

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
Bicycle Repairman said:

-Raises WTF?! Flag and tearfully salutes*

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Bicycle Repairman said:
Can you argue that Bob Goodenow hasn't done a superlative job on behalf of his clients?

No, we can't. But we can state for a fact that any hockey fan who would use the expression "courageous leadership" to describe the job this shameless bloodsucker has done to ruin the league is a complete tool.

Or is just posturing again to draw attention. Something you've excelled at in the past.

There's nothing courageous about it and you know it. So stop pretending.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
They are putting their livliehoods on the line for what they believe is right and fair. Thats courageous. The spinless wimps would all just cave in to management when the times got tough. Would concede less than they are worth as evidenced by what people are willing to pay

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Bicycle Repairman said:
Funny you should bring up Alan Eagleson though. Or are you harbouring a secret hankering for a return to hockey's corrupt past?
No, just "courageous leadership" is a more apt term for someone fighting against corruption. Not helping millionaires fight against making millions so they can make more millions.

Ha, I like the reply 2 above mine. (Edit - damn, now its on the previous page, by Vlad). Nice!

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Bicycle Repairman said:
If you ask me, the blame lies squarely on the shoulders of the fans themselves. Yes, you read correct.

:troll:

I'm now wondering why I second guessed for a while my initial impressions of you, that you were a pure troll. I should have trusted my instincts.

Hopeless.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
thinkwild said:
They are putting their livliehoods on the line for what they believe is right and fair. Thats courageous. The spinless wimps would all just cave in to management when the times got tough. Would concede less than they are worth as evidenced by what people are willing to pay

your not exactly putting you job on the line when you go to another league and just play there.

and livliehoods? when I see an Ex-NHLer on the street reaching a cup out to me begigng for change I'll let you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad