Report: Kolnik would break ranks

Status
Not open for further replies.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
Atta Boy, Juraj!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=102062&hubName=nhl

My favourite part of the article is the last paragraph:

When asked about a suggested $6 million cap on individual salaries, Kolnik was unperturbed. "That's a lot of money," he said. "You're talking about $300,000 paychecks every two weeks. Excuse me, but you could buy a house every other day."

What's the over/under on how quickly Kolnik is reprimanded and the union says his comments were taken "out of context"? My guess is 36 hours.

Peter

Mar 1, 2002
Alberta
Visit site
sveiglar said:

My favourite part of the article is the last paragraph:

What's the over/under on how quickly Kolnik is reprimanded and the union says his comments were taken "out of context"? My guess is 36 hours.

"I am sorry. It appears those capitalistic pigs we call reporters are just twisting my words. What I really said was I would support my union even if the owners declared an impasse. What I really said was a 6 million dollar per player cap is totally unreasonable. And what I really said was that I hear daily from my union rep. I can't believe you reporters would take so much out of context."

*to appear in a newspaper close to you soon*

Habs4Life

Aug 29, 2003
Saint John, NB
TSN.ca Staff

10/18/2004

Another crack appeared in union solidarity on the weekend when Florida forward Juraj Kolnik told a local newspaper that he would report to the Panthers if an impasse was declared in NHL labour negotiations and teams opted to open training camps.

The kid has many valid points... Why should young player's suffer trying to make it to the NHL, while player's making $10 million a year want more?

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Habs4Life said:
TSN.ca Staff

10/18/2004

Another crack appeared in union solidarity on the weekend when Florida forward Juraj Kolnik told a local newspaper that he would report to the Panthers if an impasse was declared in NHL labour negotiations and teams opted to open training camps.

The kid has many valid points... Why should young player's suffer trying to make it to the NHL, while player's making $10 million a year want more?
who cares?

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
"This is really hard for the young guys," Kolnik said. "They don't care how much they're going to make. They just want to play. The guys making $10 million want to make even more. That's a little crazy. Why do the young players have to (suffer) for that?"

When asked about a suggested $6 million cap on individual salaries, Kolnik was unperturbed. "That's a lot of money," he said. "You're talking about $300,000 paychecks every two weeks. Excuse me, but you could buy a house every other day."

Amen, Juraj.

Amen.

silver_made*

mr gib said:
who cares?

how many quarters in a dollar? cheese.

that makes as much sense as your reply to that post.

'who cares?' wtf? biggest damned news in hockey right now. why the hell else are you at the boards?

Taranis_24

Jan 6, 2004
Visit site
mr gib said:
who cares?

And, if it was someone on the NHL side breaking you would be all over it! This is news. Kolnik young and impulsive maybe but someone needed to be first and you just don't know what kind of reaction other players may have now. To me the big thing is that other players on the Rampage feel out of tune with the executive committee and the NHLPA. Those players name were not released probably because of fear of retribution something that Kolnik appears not to care about. He deserves props no matter what side of the fence you are on because this young man will have to play against players now that may not be to happy with him. I hope he's up to the challenge and that he will not be the victim of a cheap shot.

silver_made*

Taranis_24 said:
And, if it was someone on the NHL side breaking you would be all over it! This is news. Kolnik young and impulsive maybe but someone needed to be first and you just don't know what kind of reaction other players may have now. To me the big thing is that other players on the Rampage feel out of tune with the executive committee and the NHLPA. Those players name were not released probably because of fear of retribution something that Kolnik appears not to care about. He deserves props no matter what side of the fence you are on because this young man will have to play against players now that may not be to happy with him. I hope he's up to the challenge and that he will not be the victim of a cheap shot.

juraj is no coward, on and off the ice, and a highly talented one on top of that.

littleHossa

Apr 7, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
It's good to hear something like that, his words couldn't of been more sincere and honest either. The young players aren't benefiting from this lockout as much as the older ones with the power. In the 1994 strike, the union conceded on one point with the NHL, they put a rookie cap in place, I'm sure most of the players in the union in that time had no trouble swallowing that.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
mr gib said:
who cares?
Pretty much sums up the NHLPA's feelings about the sport and the fans, doesn't it?

It's certainly starting, though. Guys like Kolnik and Rheaume are beginning to show what's really important to them. Meanwhile, Modano tells us the money the average person makes isn't enough to feed his dog. You can really tell who has their heads on straight.

deathbear

Jul 8, 2003
Manitoba
Visit site
silver_made said:
how many quarters in a dollar? cheese.

that makes as much sense as your reply to that post.

'who cares?' wtf? biggest damned news in hockey right now. why the hell else are you at the boards?

haha, way to tell him! :handclap:

ti-vite

Jul 27, 2004
hehe

Should be some interesting bus rides from now on for Mr Kolnik I imagine...

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
He isn't alone. There are so many players in this league that would break the ranks, I wish all of them would start saying it.

Juraj has the right idea, if he can see that the players are compensated more than their fair share, and over 70% of all hockey related revenue, then I'm sure other players can see it.

ak47

May 21, 2004
One snowy Saturday night without Hockey Night in Canada is enough for me. The sooner players - any players - get back on the ice, the better. Let's be honest; besides maybe 2 to 3 players on each roster, the rest of them are pretty much replacement players anyway. I'll bite the bullet until the next generation of NHL stars is drafted and developed.....

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
ak47 said:
One snowy Saturday night without Hockey Night in Canada is enough for me. The sooner players - any players - get back on the ice, the better. Let's be honest; besides maybe 2 to 3 players on each roster, the rest of them are pretty much replacement players anyway. I'll bite the bullet until the next generation of NHL stars is drafted and developed.....

Amen.

I don't know how many HNIC's I can live without. You can only go out and get wasted with your friends at some bar you can't remember so often.

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
Seachd said:
Pretty much sums up the NHLPA's feelings about the sport and the fans, doesn't it?

It's certainly starting, though. Guys like Kolnik and Rheaume are beginning to show what's really important to them. Meanwhile, Modano tells us the money the average person makes isn't enough to feed his dog. You can really tell who has their heads on straight.

It has very little to do with "having their head on straight", and has everything to do with what the individual has to stand to lose in this impasse. Disagree with them if you like, but I highly doubt you'd be breaking rank if you were a vet who's made $3 mil a year. Or is it just a coincidence that all the players who seem to "have their head on straight" are younger, fringe players? I'm not saying its right or wrong of them, I just highly doubt that we'd do any differently if we were in the players' shoes.

copperandblue

Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
kenabnrmal said:
It has very little to do with "having their head on straight", and has everything to do with what the individual has to stand to lose in this impasse. Disagree with them if you like, but I highly doubt you'd be breaking rank if you were a vet who's made $3 mil a year. Or is it just a coincidence that all the players who seem to "have their head on straight" are younger, fringe players? I'm not saying its right or wrong of them, I just highly doubt that we'd do any differently if we were in the players' shoes.

It suggests to me that not only are the higher paid players out of touch with the fans but they are also out of touch with their own career beginnings. I would guess that what ever solution is ultimately decided on, it will primarily effect the top 200 players in the league moreso than the bottom 500 (assuming teams aren't lost in the process).

The difference being that the bottom 500 are much more dependent on their paychecks and getting the most longevity out of their career as possible where as even if the top 200 end up losing the most money, they will still make more than they will ever need and as highest paid group they will enjoy a career that will keep them in the NHL much longer than anyone else (health permitting of course).

For me, the thing that sticks out from that story the most is the part where the players are less than enamoured with the information they are getting and contact they are recieving form the PA. Kinda suggests that the PA braintrust, with the cooperation of very few of the rank and file NHLers have basically imposed their PA position on the remainder of the Association (this doesn'tnecessarily mean that most don't agree with the position, just that this single voice they speak with may not be quite as united as they like to project). If this is accurate, I will not be shocked to start hearing more and more from the younger or lower paid players in the coming months that may echo what Kolnik has just said.

Whakahere

Jan 27, 2004
Germany
I think most young players would want to play in the NHL were they would make more money. I think they only players who would really hold out are those that know they should be in the NHL.

I think fans would be in for a huge shock if replacement players are used as I don't think that many players would come over. Peer pressure would be huge. The PA would bully many young players.

I find it sad because the real loses in this (apart from the games of hockey) are the younger players. when the NHL starts again the big money guys will still get big money but the lower end will get even less. Who knows the amount of players that earn over the average salary?? I read some where is it only like 25% of all players or less. I think the lowest NHL salary should go up but the top salary should go way down. Bring on $500 min for the lowest salary and 5 million for the top. Doing this and you will get all the young guys coming over and keep the top guys because there is nowhere else you can make this kind of money. (of course you will lose 3-4 stars who go home to Europe because they want to raise their family .. good luck to them)

If the NHL does declear a impass then I hope they think about it. They must continue to make the NHL the best playing league in the world or it will never work.

I VOTE FOR HIGHER STARTER SALARY in the NHL

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
kenabnrmal said:

Yeah, those veterans (using Brendan Morrison as my example) are much better off toeing the NHLPA hard line and playing in Europe for $120,000. Anyone else find it ironic that Morrison is willing to risk an injury for approximately 4% of what he's scheduled to make in the NHL?

Let's be serious. Once you cut through all of the rhetoric, the players are going to HAVE to take a pay-cut. They can either do it now, and minimize their losses by not losing an entire year of pay, or wait for a year for the owners to declare an impasse. Look at it another way - what does a 30 YO vet have to earn to make up for losing a year in the prime of his career?

If you look at the TSN proposal, with a $6M player cap, you would still have plenty of Vet's making $3M. They might be making $4M under their current contacts, but if the average salary is $1.4M'ish the players won't be in that bad of shape.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Taranis_24 said:
well that makes him and lonny - 698 to go -

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
No one's mentioned it yet, but the TSN article is now titled "Kolnik backs off statements" and it includes this tidbit

On Monday, Kolnik spoke to the media in Edmonton where he backed off his published statements.
"Whatever was said, I'm pretty sure half of it was not true", Kolnik said.

less then 7 hours, the NHLPA party whip is getting better with practice

garry1221

Mar 13, 2003
Walled Lake, Mi
Visit site
forbesy said:
No one's mentioned it yet, but the TSN article is now titled "Kolnik backs off statements" and it includes this tidbit

less then 7 hours, the NHLPA party whip is getting better with practice

it's getting ridiculous.. we've seen older vets like thomas and madden, now finally a younger guy in kolnik, these two groups would be the first to toe and cross the line IMO, they've got the most to lose, it's too bad the PA has them grabbed so tightly they can't even move without hurting, IMO it's only a matter of time before these two groups find the weak spot in the line and break across

littleHossa

Apr 7, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
I always wondered how the stars/players make these "statements" Who do they go to? They just call McKenzie and give him a written message, that's playing favourites so it can't be it. Also, the agent usually does it, but not in this case obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad