REPORT: Gretzky OUT for 2010, Lowe IN; Quinn OUT, D.Sutter IN; BERT CRIED

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentNaslund*

Darryl Sutter's style of hockey will only work with a bunch of nothing to lose no skill type of players. A team with a bunch of Allstars will not except his defensive style of hockey. It works in Calgary cause the players there are not skilled enough, thats why they follow the Suter style to produce results. I wouldnt mind keeping the same coaching staff. We only lost because of the team that was put together this year. Patt Quinn, and Hitchcock are one best coaches the leauge have to offer. The team that was put together was too slow, and in the end, was built, for best of 7 series. Not single game elimations. Nash, Thorton, Bertuzzi, Heatly, all failed to produce anything. They were too slow.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
AgentNaslund said:
Darryl Sutter's style of hockey will only work with a bunch of nothing to lose no skill type of players. A team with a bunch of Allstars will not except his defensive style of hockey. It works in Calgary cause the players there are not skilled enough, thats why they follow the Suter style to produce results. I wouldnt mind keeping the same coaching staff. We only lost because of the team that was put together this year. Patt Quinn, and Hitchcock are one best coaches the leauge have to offer. The team that was put together was too slow, and in the end, was built, for best of 7 series. Not single game elimations. Nash, Thorton, Bertuzzi, Heatly, all failed to produce anything. They were too slow.

We had the right team, it just didn't come together, its time to split up the coaching group that lost, not that I think its their fault, but they have gone 3 times, I don't think its unfair to try something new.

Another thing, 3 of the 4 guys you named are tried, tested and true on the international rink, its just that this team didn't come together. We had fast, skilled, smart players, they were just never a team.

KrisKing*

therealdeal said:
We had the right team, it just didn't come together, its time to split up the coaching group that lost, not that I think its their fault, but they have gone 3 times, I don't think its unfair to try something new.

Another thing, 3 of the 4 guys you named are tried, tested and true on the international rink, its just that this team didn't come together. We had fast, skilled, smart players, they were just never a team.

That man just made so much sense my head hurts now. Why are there only a few people on here with common sense?

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I like this quote from the main article: "Iginla sat stunned in full gear for more than 20 minutes before undressing."

This pretty much sums up Iginla's tournament, doesn't it? IMO, Iginla sat stunned for more than 7 games before going home.

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
Rick Middleton said:
Iginla, Gagne and Nash didn't contribute offensively, but they didn't take away from the team as much as Bertuzzi did by his stupid penalties. That put him in the minus column whereas they, along with Draper, were merely zeroes.

Bertuzzi only took three penalties during the whole tournament. McCabe took nine, Pronger and Lecavalier took eight, Nash took five.

Yeah, Bert was terrible, but c'mon. There were eight players that took just as many or more penalties than him.

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
Phanuthier said:
Maybe it'll wake these guys up. Iginla and Bertuzzi have slept walked through the year thus far.

Exactly, which boggles my mind as to why they were on the team in the first place. Gretzky maintained for months that he would pick the best players at the time when it came to select the team. And guys having terrible years like Bertuzzi, Iginla, and Doan (among others) are named to the team? Gretzky had his team picked in August. And if you ask me, that's the single biggest reason we lost.

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Shane said:
Bertuzzi only took three penalties during the whole tournament. McCabe took nine, Pronger and Lecavalier took eight, Nash took five.

Yeah, Bert was terrible, but c'mon. There were eight players that took just as many or more penalties than him.

McCabe took four penalties. Lecavlier took six. They both had 10 minute misconduct's, so their PIM totals look inflated.

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Shane said:
Exactly, which boggles my mind as to why they were on the team in the first place. Gretzky maintained for months that he would pick the best players at the time when it came to select the team. And guys having terrible years like Bertuzzi, Iginla, and Doan (among others) are named to the team? Gretzky had his team picked in August. And if you ask me, that's the single biggest reason we lost.

I don't buy that argument for the simple reason that players that were having fantastic seasons didn't exactly light it up for Team Canada either.

Hello Joe Thorton ? Dany Heatley ? Simon Gagne ? Wade Redden ?

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Rick Middleton said:
Iginla, Gagne and Nash didn't contribute offensively, but they didn't take away from the team as much as Bertuzzi did by his stupid penalties. That put him in the minus column whereas they, along with Draper, were merely zeroes.

Heatley played well enough. Not great. Not good. Well enough. Hardly a ringing endorsement, but not a condemnation either.

Thornton is Thornton. He floats. He drifts. He takes entire periods off. He rates barely above Bertuzzi simply because he didn't take boneheaded penalties. That would involve effort on his part, which is lacking at most times. And before you rip into me, I like Thornton. I just know what he brings to the table. Which is mediocre effort given his talent.

You, among many people on these boards, are very ignorant.

You are one of many who rag on Bertuzzi, and continue to dwell on something that should be long forgotten by now (the Moore hit of course). Bertzzui got a grand total of I believe 6 penalty minutes in thos 5 games. Only one of those was a boneheaded penalty. And how you can say Nash didn't take as many stupid penalties as Bertuzzi blows my mind. Isn't that the reason why he was benched for two or three third periods in a row? So how about next time before you blame the tournament on somebody, you wake up and look around. Noone can be singly pointed out for Canada's loss. Some people consistantly seem to forget that hockey is a team sport. Last time I checked, there is no I in team.

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
AgentNaslund said:
Darryl Sutter's style of hockey will only work with a bunch of nothing to lose no skill type of players. A team with a bunch of Allstars will not except his defensive style of hockey. It works in Calgary cause the players there are not skilled enough, thats why they follow the Suter style to produce results.

If scoring goals is more important to these players than wins, we don't them anyway. Team Finland showed that a defensive style game suits the international level perfectly. I couldn't care less about how many goals they score as long as they win.

Sutter Hockey = Wins

If Hockey Canada cares about anything else, shame on them.

stockwizard*

clay said:
You, among many people on these boards, are very ignorant.

You are one of many who rag on Bertuzzi, and continue to dwell on something that should be long forgotten by now (the Moore hit of course). Bertzzui got a grand total of I believe 6 penalty minutes in thos 5 games. Only one of those was a boneheaded penalty. And how you can say Nash didn't take as many stupid penalties as Bertuzzi blows my mind. Isn't that the reason why he was benched for two or three third periods in a row? So how about next time before you blame the tournament on somebody, you wake up and look around. Noone can be singly pointed out for Canada's loss. Some people consistantly seem to forget that hockey is a team sport. Last time I checked, there is no I in team.
What???????????
Bertuzzi has the mind of an ape.
When my pal catered the Canucks Christmas party, at Jovo's house he was telling anyone that would listen that he was going to hump his wife in the toilet.
Who would want that hulking, sulking, useless wimp on any team?

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Shane said:
Whoops, you're right. My mistake.

Still, four and six are more than three.

I know. I've already pointed this out to RM in my prior posts in this thread. ;)

Edit: Looks like I can't count, and you have too much faith in my counting skills.
Lecavalier only took three penalties for a total of 6 minutes. The rest of the
numbers are right, I swear.

lennie

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
wealthmanager said:
What???????????
Bertuzzi has the mind of an ape.
When my pal catered the Canucks Christmas party, at Jovo's house he was telling anyone that would listen that he was going to hump his wife in the toilet.
Who would want that hulking, sulking, useless wimp on any team?

Nice. A ridiculous unsubstantiated rumor. :madfire:

Your not good at the internet :shakehead

AgentNaslund*

Garfield said:
If scoring goals is more important to these players than wins, we don't them anyway. Team Finland showed that a defensive style game suits the international level perfectly. I couldn't care less about how many goals they score as long as they win.

Sutter Hockey = Wins

If Hockey Canada cares about anything else, shame on them.

sure why not, just remember, its harder to forecheck and make hits in the big surface. Suters style is very successful in the NHL size, but if your thinking its gonna be as easy as it is, to go in, and forecheck like make your gonnna be surprised. Suter plays a defensive style, but on top of that, alot of forechecking is invovled, as you can see, the teams Russians and Swedes have incredible tactical breakouts that can kill Suters style of hockey so yea.

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
BlueAndWhite said:
I know. I've already pointed this out to RM in my prior posts in this thread. ;)

Edit: Looks like I can't count, and you have too much faith in my counting skills.
Lecavalier only took three penalties for a total of 6 minutes. The rest of the
numbers are right, I swear.

Thanks for making me look like an idiot. ;)

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
I assume GM Place will be using Olympic sized ice in 2010, before you highlight the obvious, I'm curious whether anybody knows if the IIHF and IOC will go the WJC route and use North American ice for the tourney?

lennie

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Roughneck said:
I assume GM Place will be using Olympic sized ice in 2010, before you highlight the obvious, I'm curious whether anybody knows if the IIHF and IOC will go the WJC route and use North American ice for the tourney?

FYI

http://www.vancouver2010.com/en/WinterGames/2010GamesVenues/Competition/GMP

"Construction Update
A structural engineering report of General Motors Place has been completed to address the issue of enlargement of the ice sheet to international-size ice. Additional engineering studies will determine building modifications that will be necessary to meet Olympic Games requirements. The construction process is scheduled to begin April 2007, with completion by August 2008. Construction activities at General Motors Place will be timed to minimize any disruption to regular activities in the building"

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
John Flyers Fan said:

Of course. You want a guy who has shown he can build a team for a Cup run....oh wait, what's that...he hasn't. Maybe we can have the return of Eric Brewer in 2010 then at least. :shakehead

The team relied too much on NA star power and got away from what you need to win these tournaments...overall skill. That's why they lost.

They left scorers with speed at home for PF in a game where the PF game is pretty much negated because you can't be as physical, and even when you can impose physicality, it's harder to catch guys on the bigger surface. Too many teams skated around them on 5 on 5 play and they misused their PP weapons.

The PK was about the only thing that didn't perform that badly during the tournament. That being because they had a few guys good at positional defense.

I think you could find a much better replacement than Kevin Lowe and I think we need to stop playing suck up to a guy who hasn't proven anything at the NHL level in terms of building a championship.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The differece between Pronger and McCabe. Pronger was good at the beginning at the tournament and got worse and worse as it went along to the point where he was a giant liability in the end. The tougher it got the more out of place he looked. McCabe was terrible at the start but got better every game, by the time Russia rolled around he had the second best game of all the Canadian defenders. Atleast McCabe steps up when it counts he doesnt fold like a cheap 6'6 tent.

I really think the prolblem with this team was the defensive zone system they played. They played a collapsing box! On the big international ice. The same system the leafs play. This is an effective technique on the smaller North American ice when hey dont call any penalties ala two years ago in the nhl (which they do this year thats why the leafs are having so much trouble). You have to pressure the puck on the big ice in the defensive zone. Just watch how the Finns played it. The reason you have to pressure the puck is you have to have a strong transition game when you play international hockey. No puck pressure = no transition game. Then again whenever Foote or Pronger had an outlet pass to make they just fired it at the player, flipped it, or went off the glass.

I also noticed this trend in Bertuzzi. Where he makes a bonehead play then apoligizes afterward. Yet the same mistakes are made in the near future. But really is it his fault? We all know how he plays Todd didnt pick the team. Gretzky and his brass did.

My question is where is Alex Tanguay? He is second in western conference scoring, he plays on Joe Sakics line he is very fast, very skilled, experiencedd and he is clutch. This was the most surprising ommision for me. If you noticed the only consistent line was the line that had recent chemistry. Smyth Lecavalier St Louis. Smyth and Lecavalier played together in the world cup and Lecavalier and St Louis play together in Tampa Bay.

That is my little rant, as good a coach as Darryl Sutter is I dont think he is the right coach for team Canada in an international copetition. He coachs an nhl style game not an international one.

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
bert said:
The differece between Pronger and McCabe. Pronger was good at the beginning at the tournament and got worse and worse as it went along to the point where he was a giant liability in the end. The tougher it got the more out of place he looked. McCabe was terrible at the start but got better every game, by the time Russia rolled around he had the second best game of all the Canadian defenders. Atleast McCabe steps up when it counts he doesnt fold like a cheap 6'6 tent.

1.) I wouldn't say McCabe necessarily got better every game, but he did have a solid game in the quarterfinals.
2.) Pronger was injured, I think most people realize that Chris Pronger is simply not THAT bad when healthy.

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
rohan said:
The Olympic disaster wasn't Gretzky's fault, it wasn't Quinn's fault, it was the players fault. This, unfortunately, is the typical sports drama: the team loses, coach/GM gets canned/resigns, even though the players are 98% at fault for it. Wayne Gretzky put an all-star team together, it had all the talent, all Pat Quinn needed to do was formulate lines and do a little coaching. He did that, the team didn't come together.

Gretzky could have made better decisions regarding personnel (Staal, Crosby, Marleau), but he still put together a team capable of winning Gold easily.

The team was MORE than capable of winning the gold and just did not come together and get it done. Gretz being the classy guy he is took a lot of the blame which he did not need to in my opinion since it was the guys on the ice ultimate responsibility to get the job done. I really hope Gretz stays on with TC- he has meant too much to Canadian not to mention hockey in general to just leave it altogether. I personally wish he would be the coach but time will tell with that- just get recharged and help TC out someway anyway you can and want to Gretz- you are needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->