REPORT: Gretzky OUT for 2010, Lowe IN; Quinn OUT, D.Sutter IN; BERT CRIED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rakiet*

according to Eric Francis from today's calgary sports column
Insiders indicate Wayne Gretzky will wash his hands of the Canadian Olympic team for 2010, opening the door for Kevin Lowe to take over.

And...
Word out of the Canadian hockey team's dressing room is Jarome Iginla and Todd Bertuzzi were two of the hardest hit by the loss to Russia. Iginla sat stunned in full gear for more than 20 minutes before undressing. With tears in his eyes, Bertuzzi apparently apologized to all his teammates for his interference penalty that led to the game-winner

http://calsun.canoe.ca/Sports/2006Games/2006/02/27/1464467-sun.html

Vic Rattlehead*

I didn't mean to be cruel. I just thought that the original poster put it in to make fun of Bertuzzi.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Rakiet said:
according to Eric Francis from today's calgary sports column
Nothing there but speculation. IF Gretzky steps down THEN MAYBE Lowe will be the guy AND MAYBE he'll pick a Sutter to coach. That about sums it up. :dunno:

The more columns I read by that guy, the more unprofessional he seems. Nice jab he gets in there at the end about the Swedish team, and I guess we all needed to hear which women Olympians he thought were "hotties".

Roger's Pancreas*

I'm glad that Sutter is in. It's my honest opinion that him and Hitchcock will compliment each other really well, their style of coaching is nearly identical.

SChan*

It wasn't bert's fault anyway. Whole Canada was flat in that game.

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Sotnos said:
The more columns I read by that guy, the more unprofessional he seems. Nice jab he gets in there at the end about the Swedish team, and I guess we all needed to hear which women Olympians he thought were "hotties".

It's a SUN paper. The "paper" that needs to have a "Sunshine Girl" featured prominently on the second page of their daily "paper".

Rick Middleton

May 14, 2002
Ottawa, ON
19bruins19 said:
Who cares if Bert cried.
I agree with you on this one.

Bertuzzi clobbers Moore, and feels bad afterwards.
Bertuzzi takes a meatheaded penalty, and feels bad afterwards.

What do they have in common? That he's a complete moron on the ice. I don't care about his character after the game, I care about how he conducts himself on the ice. And as we have seen, his IQ drops a good 30 points as soon as his skates hit the ice. And this has cost his team, be it the Canucks or Team Canada.

Quite frankly, Bertuzzi is too slow and too large a liability to bring back to Team Canada for 2010. Is he a talent in the NHL? No doubt. But he's not the kind of player that I'd want to dress to win games internationally.

mooseOAK*

Who knows if Darryl Sutter will even still be coaching by then.

veronesepk

Feb 11, 2005
Bert does seem like a more emotional guy than we give him credit for. I remember him sounding as if he was about to start crying/beginning to break up during a post game interview in Nashville in 02-03. He was talking about always getting picked on for certain penalties after he took a late penalty that let Nashville win the game.

Rick Middleton

May 14, 2002
Ottawa, ON
BlueAndWhite said:
I fail to see how Bertuzzi cost Team Canada anymore than any other single player.
In my mind, Bertuzzi contributed the least out of all of the forwards, and that's saying a lot given the performances of Draper and Smyth. Of the games that I watched, it seemed that every time he hit the ice he either

(a) messed up a good chance
(b) was completely invisible (I noticed him when they changed lines and that's it); or
(c) took a needless penalty

Let's face it, his game is not suited for international play. And his unstable mindset on the ice is a detriment to the team. You simply cannot afford stupid penalties. I don't care how bad you feel after the game, you have to perform on the ice. And he didn't.

Did he feel bad about it? Yup.

Does that matter in the greater scheme of things? Nope.

Schenn02

Dec 7, 2003
abroad
Visit site
Rick Middleton said:
I agree with you on this one.

Bertuzzi clobbers Moore, and feels bad afterwards.
Bertuzzi takes a meatheaded penalty, and feels bad afterwards.

What do they have in common? That he's a complete moron on the ice. I don't care about his character after the game, I care about how he conducts himself on the ice. And as we have seen, his IQ drops a good 30 points as soon as his skates hit the ice. And this has cost his team, be it the Canucks or Team Canada.

Quite frankly, Bertuzzi is too slow and too large a liability to bring back to Team Canada for 2010. Is he a talent in the NHL? No doubt. But he's not the kind of player that I'd want to dress to win games internationally.

ITA!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Rick Middleton said:
In my mind, Bertuzzi contributed the least out of all of the forwards, and that's saying a lot given the performances of Draper and Smyth. Of the games that I watched, it seemed that every time he hit the ice he either

(a) messed up a good chance
(b) was completely invisible (I noticed him when they changed lines and that's it); or
(c) took a needless penalty

Let's face it, his game is not suited for international play. And his unstable mindset on the ice is a detriment to the team. You simply cannot afford stupid penalties. I don't care how bad you feel after the game, you have to perform on the ice. And he didn't.

Did he feel bad about it? Yup.

Does that matter in the greater scheme of things? Nope.

I'm not going to debate the whole "he felt bad" issue because that wasn't my point of contention.

I guess we watched very different tournaments because I couldn't disagree more.

If Bertuzzi contibuted the least (and you seem to think that definitively) - then I wonder what you thought of Jarome Iginla, Simon Gagne, Rick Nash, Dany Heatley and Joe Thornton? I won't delve into the defenseman (of which IMO, there were players that were "worse" than Bertuzzi)

Statistically speaking, they all performed rather equally or dismally I should say. In fact, I wonder why Rick Nash was spared from the dubious distinction of being the worst player ?

If Bertuzzi took a needless penalty almost everytime he was on the ice, then Rick Nash must have been taking penalties when he was on the bench as well.

Rick Middleton

May 14, 2002
Ottawa, ON
BlueAndWhite said:
I'm not going to debate the whole "he felt bad" issue because that wasn't my point of contention.

I guess we watched very different tournaments because I couldn't disagree more.

If Bertuzzi contibuted the least (and you seem to think that definitively) - then I wonder what you thought of Jarome Iginla, Simon Gagne, Rick Nash, Dany Heatley and Joe Thornton? I won't delve into the defenseman (of which IMO, there were players that were "worse" than Bertuzzi)

Statistically speaking, they all performed rather equally or dismally I should say. In fact, I wonder why Rick Nash was spared from the dubious distinction of being the worst player ?

If Bertuzzi took a needless penalty almost everytime he was on the ice, then Rick Nash must have been taking penalties when he was on the bench as well.
Iginla, Gagne and Nash didn't contribute offensively, but they didn't take away from the team as much as Bertuzzi did by his stupid penalties. That put him in the minus column whereas they, along with Draper, were merely zeroes.

Heatley played well enough. Not great. Not good. Well enough. Hardly a ringing endorsement, but not a condemnation either.

Thornton is Thornton. He floats. He drifts. He takes entire periods off. He rates barely above Bertuzzi simply because he didn't take boneheaded penalties. That would involve effort on his part, which is lacking at most times. And before you rip into me, I like Thornton. I just know what he brings to the table. Which is mediocre effort given his talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad