Confirmed Signing with Link: [ANA] Jakob Silfverberg extends with the Ducks (5 years, $5.25M AAV)

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Neutral fan but you and I both know that in a few years the Sharks are going to be in the sewer standings wise with not much to look forward too.

I've been hearing that literally every year since 2010. It's never going to happen.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Don't like the deal for Anaheim on the basis we should be trading players like Silf as we're not going to be contenders for the next 2-3 years (especially with an ageing center core) and I'd rather get younger and accumulate some draft picks to help move up in the draft this year.

The only reason this is a bad contract is because of the position Anaheim is in both from a competitive standpoint as well as our cap situation - the cap was already tight for us and now it's even tighter.

If a contender signed Silf to such a deal, it would be a good contract for that team given what Silf brings.

You feeling okay? That's literally Zucker/ OEL money
Zuck and Silf have near identical NHL production (0.52 PPG v 0.50 PPG) in their careers to date and OEL signed his contract nearly 6 years ago, in a much different financial era of the NHL - it's rather dumb to be comparing the two at all. Not to mention on OEL's equivalent of this Silf contract he got 8.25m that kicks in from next season.

Last edited:

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I mean the contract ittself is not bad but i don't quite get it for Anaheim in their current position.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I mean the contract ittself is not bad but i don't quite get it for Anaheim in their current position.
Our GM has been behind the bench now, assessing how much damage his drinking buddy Carlyle did, Perry & Kesler suddenly regrew their balls the past two games so quickly after Carlyle is gone. Perry actually looks like the Perry of yesterday these past 2 games, Kesler suddenly has life in his legs again. Fowler & Lindholm suddenly playing much better lately too.

Then there is the kind of player Silf is, he's the kind of guy we need mentoring our young wingers in how to play defensively as a winger. During a retool i'd like a guy like that around.
For cap reasons I suspect Henrique or Fowler are gonna be traded, probably shore too.

Reactions: Not So Mighty

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
... I'd rather get younger and accumulate some draft picks to help move up in the draft this year.

Just throwing some names in there

Gibson 25
Boyle 26

Fowler 27
Lindholm 25
Manson 27
Montour 25
Larsson 21
Welinski 25
Mahura 20

None of any D on the Ducks is over 30.

Henrique 29
Silfverberg 28
Kase 23
Ritchie 23
Rakell 25
Shore 24
Terry 21
Jones 21
Comtois 20
Spron 21
Steel 21
Sherwood 23

Getzlaf is 33, Kesler is 34 and Perry is 33

I have no clue how young you want to get but imho this roster is quite young overall.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
and another team should have. I would have no issue with this deal if we were looking like team capable of 2 or 3 more serious cup runs. but we'll be lucky to get one more in next season before Getz really starts to fall off. And I don't see any of our prospects making a large enough impact to replace Getzlaf. Not to mention the ridiculous log jam at wing we have now and will in the future. This is just another example of Murray being to cautious to actually change this core since he thinks it can still win, but it just can't.

And if he can't, then he moves Silfverberg for assets and moves on - not the end of the world.

I'd also point out that not being cautious enough is how you end up taking what is a decent/good roster that was hit with injuries only to find yourselves floundering for several years and doing little in the process. Being aggressive and taking risks is just asking for the GM to f*** up a trade (Hall/Larsson, etc) because he wasn't willing to wait things out. Doesn't always happen, but if you're placing odds, odds are it will happen more often to aggressive GMs vs the cautious ones.

Last edited:

mightyquack

Apr 28, 2010

Gibson 25
Boyle 26

Fowler 27
Lindholm 25
Manson 27
Montour 25
Larsson 21
Welinski 25
Mahura 20

Henrique 29
Silfverberg 28
Kase 23
Ritchie 23
Rakell 25
Shore 24
Terry 21
Jones 21
Comtois 20
Spron 21
Steel 21
Sherwood 23

I have no clue how young you want to get but imho this roster is quite young overall.
Again, as I said - we're likely not going to be competitive for the next 2-3 years at a minimum (unless you honestly think an aging center core of Getzlaf/Henrique/Kesler/Rowney is actually going to be competitive) so his current age isn't the only thing in play. And yes parts of the roster are young, but one of the most important parts (the center group is among the oldest in the league) which is a massive issue, and is why I don't think signing guy's in their late 20's to long term contracts into their mid 30's right now is the best course of action as we're just not going to be competitive enough to justify it.

EDIT: As I said above in my full quote (not conveniently cut down) this is a good contract for a team that is looking to be a contender. But Anaheim isn't that sort of team and is likely not going to be for a number of years as it stands, I'd much rather have moved on and got some assets back and continue to blood some of the younger players along with several of the established wingers Anaheim already opposed to making another long term commitment.

Last edited:

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017

Gibson 25
Boyle 26

Fowler 27
Lindholm 25
Manson 27
Montour 25
Larsson 21
Welinski 25
Mahura 20

Henrique 29
Silfverberg 28
Kase 23
Ritchie 23
Rakell 25
Shore 24
Terry 21
Jones 21
Comtois 20
Spron 21
Steel 21
Sherwood 23

The roster will be even younger next season. Miller won't be back imo, 2mil too much money when they need the cap space & Murray may have pressure to follow a internal budget.
If Fowler is moved the D gets younger by either Larsson or Mahura. If Shore or Henrique is moved then they get younger at forward as well since it opens up spots for the young guys.

From a moneypuck perspective i wouldn't count on a 39 yearold Miller next season, i'd guess its the season where he will fall off like Luongo. I'd rather they bring in someone cheaper/younger as insurance incase Boyle craps the bed as the backup next season.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Again, as I said - we're likely not going to be competitive for the next 2-3 years at a minimum (unless you honestly think an aging center core of Getzlaf/Henrique/Kesler/Rowney is actually going to be competitive) so his current age isn't the only thing in play.

What is competitive in your definition? My personal perspective is aim to go into the playoffs every year. That is the only way to win a cup. Sometimes it sounds like the team has to be on the cup favs lists of everyone and only then they are "competitive". If you have this understanding, well then tanking is the only way. But down the road, if we are not competitive the next 2-3 years what else should we do? Trade Montour, Manson, Kase, Lindholm, Rakell, Ritchie as well? All their contracts are up then and they will ask for contracts putting them in their mid 30s. Especially Lindholm, Manson and Rakell. Should we trade them now that all the players they fetch are ready then?

mightyquack

Apr 28, 2010
What is competitive in your definition? My personal perspective is aim to go into the playoffs every year. That is the only way to win a cup. Sometimes it sounds like the team has to be on the cup favs lists of everyone and only then they are "competitive". If you have this understanding, well then tanking is the only way. But down the road, if we are not competitive the next 2-3 years what else should we do? Trade Montour, Manson, Kase, Lindholm, Rakell, Ritchie as well? All their contracts are up then and they will ask for contracts putting them in their mid 30s. Especially Lindholm, Manson and Rakell. Should we trade them now that all the players they fetch are ready then?
That center group is arguably not even good enough to be competitive to make the playoffs (and certainly wouldn't be if the West wasn't complete ass this year), and certainly nowhere close to be a cup contender. The time Montour/Manson/Kase/Lindholm/Rakell/Ritchie contracts are up - Anaheim are perhaps more likely to be a competitive team (more of a decent playoff team then a contender) hence re-signing them actually would make sense (along with the fact Manson/Kase/Lindholm/Rakell are flat out better players too) if they actually are competitive. If we're not competitive like they are now? Then anything is possible - I'd certainly explore trade options, maybe re-sign a couple of the key players and get assets for the rest of them, if you're not a playoff team by that point there is zero point in retaining the vast majority of a core that can't get the job done.

And that isn't even mentioning there is every chance Henrique isn't even a Duck by the time next season rolls round as Anaheim need to find a way to lose salary and Fowler is unlikely to be traded. Then you're looking at Getzlaf/Kesler/Rowney/? as a center group..........and that's horrid and certainly not a center group of a competitive team. If Henrique is traded, it makes a Silf extension even more of a headscratcher then it already is.

Last edited:

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Only time will tell if this team will be more competitive in 2 or three years. I don't see this as a guarantee. We all don't know how Steel will do over summer, whom the Ducks land, how Shore will look like in fall. With trading Henrique or Silfverberg you hope to get a player of that caliber. Without trading them you have this kind of player already.

mightyquack

Apr 28, 2010
Only time will tell if this team will be more competitive in 2 or three years. I don't see this as a guarantee. We all don't know how Steel will do over summer, whom the Ducks land, how Shore will look like in fall. With trading Henrique or Silfverberg you hope to get a player of that caliber. Without trading them you have this kind of player already.
Thing is, before the Silf extension it was possible Anaheim already had to trade someone for financial reasons in the off-season - now with the extension it's effectively guaranteed they will have to trade someone to make the cap work, and that's not even considering that the owners are supposedly unhappy with the amount of money Anaheim are currently spending which would make a trade even more likely perhaps even more than one trade to get rid of more salary.

This isn't a case of 'oh they may trade someone' it's a case of they now NEED to trade at least one player to make it work financially for next season, hence you might as well have moved Silf now on the basis the team isn't competitive and at least you can recoup a good asset for a guy who while a good hockey player - Anaheim aren't exactly hurting for wingers for next season opposed to non-existent depth at the center position. Of course I'm not saying you trade Silf because we'll draft someone better - that's always a risk and it might not pan out, but that's the risk you take if you trade away an established player. It's not a case of just having a hard on for a draft pick.

Anaheim are effectively in a cap squeeze despite being a middling team at this point, that's a bad position to be in.

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
This is atrocious. It’s as bad as Bieksa. Murray should have thrown a NMC while he’s at it.

Hyperbole much? You've been known to have some pretty wild opinions but this takes the cake. Come back down to Earth. Silf is a good player. This is a mild overpayment and you're calling for the head of the guy who has given us Rakell for under 4M and Lindholm for just barely over 5M. Sorry you haven't learned to appreciate the 200 foot game.

Reactions: Deuce22

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8

Gibson 25
Boyle 26

Fowler 27
Lindholm 25
Manson 27
Montour 25
Larsson 21
Welinski 25
Mahura 20

Henrique 29
Silfverberg 28
Kase 23
Ritchie 23
Rakell 25
Shore 24
Terry 21
Jones 21
Comtois 20
Spron 21
Steel 21
Sherwood 23

Apparently many in here only want Anaheim to sign players who age in reverse. Too bad Benjamin Button didn't go pro.

Reactions: 405Exit and Masch78

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

Gibson 25
Boyle 26

Fowler 27
Lindholm 25
Manson 27
Montour 25
Larsson 21
Welinski 25
Mahura 20

Henrique 29
Silfverberg 28
Kase 23
Ritchie 23
Rakell 25
Shore 24
Terry 21
Jones 21
Comtois 20
Spron 21
Steel 21
Sherwood 23

This is a really good post. There's a consistent belief on here that the Ducks have an older roster. We don't. Unfortunately our best player is 33 though. The Kesler and Perry contracts blow, especially Kesler's, but other than Getzlaf, the nucleus of the team is pretty young.

As for the signing: Contract wise, I like it. It's a solid deal. A bit high (was hoping for 4.75ish), but 500k more for a FA isn't that big of a deal. The reason I personally don't care for the signing is because of those two bad contracts we have (Kesler and Perry), I think we couldn't afford to keep one of Fowler/Henrique/Silfverberg. IMO, Silfverberg was the most expendable, so we should have traded him. Plus, I think he would have gathered the best return.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Fowler is gone in the off-season guys , allows Larsson and Mahura time for ahl cup run, And also allows
Fowler to
End year looking like his old self again, which will drive his price back where it should be. Gibbons will be gone, and perhaps Boyle steps in as backup full time and all of a sudden that’s a good chunk of $$$ off the books

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
More term, takes him to age 35 and sure, Bailey did take a hometown discount. The discussion was what players would get in the open market and Bailey definitely is an outlier. And even then, Bailey's contract will only be better if he doesn't slow down with age. Silfverberg's age/term, on the other hand, has almost no risk involved.

He'll still be 33 when the contract ends.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Money is market price, but not a fan of giving term longer than 3 years to middle six players.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad