Player Discussion Replacing Jacob Markstrom

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Depending on our playoff hopes at the deadline, I would predict Markstrom is either dealt then or at the draft. Would be surprised if we get more than a mid second for him.

Wish him well, but can’t see us paying him the money he’s entitled to.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Depending on our playoff hopes at the deadline, I would predict Markstrom is either dealt then or at the draft. Would be surprised if we get more than a mid second for him.

Wish him well, but can’t see us paying him the money he’s entitled to.

That's funny because I can't see Jim Benning trading Markstrom regardless of what our playoff hopes look like.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
We aren’t getting both him and Demko past Seattle so we should do something to extract value from one of them. I’m not sold that Markstrom is the one we want to trade though. He’s in his prime and this team needs to start winning now. We traded our first and will likely not finish bottom-5 this year. I don’t trust management to make the right call but this team needs to pick a lane and go hard at it. No more straddling competing and rebuilding while doing neither.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
The is technically true but misleading. By the time the trade actually happened Huet had a 2-4 record and a 4.31 GAA in the previous 6 games and the players were splitting starts. Also Bob Gainey specifically said he made the trade in order to give the starting job to Price and said nothing about recouping assets --

"... there’s only one net and only so much time to play. We made the same decision last season when we put Price in the net in Hamilton."

"... It was a clear decision to make our goal available to two premier, young goalies."

Huet returned nearly nothing -- 2nd rounder two years out -- and trade was obviously made because Price was taking his job. The same day Gainey made an enormous offer for Marian Hossa. Did you not see all this when you were researching the trades?

I'm a bit at a loss for what you're looking for in terms of examples then, and I think you're ignoring where things are at with this team and what people are assuming it's going to be looking like toward the trade deadline. Demko is already starting more than people expected and putting up better numbers than Markstrom with a pretty similar overall performance. He hasn't overtaken Markstrom as being clearly better, but neither had Price, and 6 poor games from Huet, who had put up some of the best numbers in the league since the lockout. They started to believe that Price was going to be better from that point, but it was still a leap of faith in the young tender. It would be no different with Demko if he continues to play like he has. He doesn't have to outplay and fully steal the job for that to happen. And just because Gainey doesn't mention recouping assets doesn't mean it wasn't a big aspect of it. Huet was about to get a big payday that Montreal wouldn't match and a 2nd rounder is actually a big return for a UFA to be goalie historically.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I seriously doubt that Marky gets much interest from the rest of the league and if we could get a 2nd I myself would jump at the chance to do so. Demko has been as good as him with a vastly inferior schedule and is clearly our goalie of the future.

Reactions: travis scott

hcg

Oct 12, 2018
I'm a bit at a loss for what you're looking for in terms of examples then, and I think you're ignoring where things are at with this team and what people are assuming it's going to be looking like toward the trade deadline. Demko is already starting more than people expected and putting up better numbers than Markstrom with a pretty similar overall performance. He hasn't overtaken Markstrom as being clearly better, but neither had Price, and 6 poor games from Huet, who had put up some of the best numbers in the league since the lockout. They started to believe that Price was going to be better from that point, but it was still a leap of faith in the young tender. It would be no different with Demko if he continues to play like he has. He doesn't have to outplay and fully steal the job for that to happen. And just because Gainey doesn't mention recouping assets doesn't mean it wasn't a big aspect of it. Huet was about to get a big payday that Montreal wouldn't match and a 2nd rounder is actually a big return for a UFA to be goalie historically.
Demko's numbers are worse.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Acquire Desmith, or claim him next pre-season on waivers when pittsburgh needs to waive one of jarry/murray/desmith again.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I think Markstrom replaces Markstrom. They clearly don’t have much interest in seeing what Demko can be.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wouldn't mind posters thoughts on a hypothetical scenario...supposing Freddie Anderson with the Leafs were to go down with an injury? Not wishing him any ill-will, but always the possibility it could happen, leaving a goaltending nightmare for the Buds.

So if the Canucks were to dangle Markstrom, what could they expect to get back from Dubas and the Leafs?

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
What do people think Markstrom is entitled to? Sure he is 29 and will be signing his last big contract, likely, but he hasn't done much so far to merit big money. His highest wins total is 28, has career SV% of .909 and has never done anything in the playoffs. I don't see him getting much more than $4.5 AAV. Something like 22 - 23 million over 5 years is a reasonable contract for him.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
What do people think Markstrom is entitled to? Sure he is 29 and will be signing his last big contract, likely, but he hasn't done much so far to merit big money. His highest wins total is 28, has career SV% of .909 and has never done anything in the playoffs. I don't see him getting much more than $4.5 AAV. Something like 22 - 23 million over 5 years is a reasonable contract for him.
Looking at Varly’s deal with the Isles as a base. Been a while since Varly performed great. Still got over $5 mill per from Lou.
Darling who was just a backup got $4.15 mill per for 4 years.

the market suitors for Markstrom are Columbus, Chicago cause both guys are up, Ottawa, could include Detroit with Howard ufa and one year left for Bernier.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Looking at Varly’s deal with the Isles as a base. Been a while since Varly performed great. Still got over $5 mill per from Lou.

the market suitors for Markstrom are Columbus, Chicago cause both guys are up, Ottawa, could include Detroit with Howard ufa and one year left for Bernier.

Think Varlamov is a fair comp. I would expect something similar.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Assuming Markstrom's SV% gets bumped and he continues his relatively strong play, he's entitled to an AAV of $4.5-5M. I see him as wanting some term and NTC. Longest he can command is 4 years. I see him signing for 3 and getting some 2 year offers.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Assuming Markstrom's SV% gets bumped and he continues his relatively strong play, he's entitled to an AAV of $4.5-5M. I see him as wanting some term and NTC. Longest he can command is 4 years. I see him signing for 3 and getting some 2 year offers.
Personally not too caught up with the cap hit for him. More the term of the deal along with any ED protection.

Holtby will likely leave Washington so he’ll land somewhere that needs a goalie.

what does Markstrom value most? Total money, ED and trade protection, team success? Each of the teams that need a goalie have their pros and cons. What is going to make Markstrom the most happy?

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Personally not too caught up with the cap hit for him. More the term of the deal along with any ED protection.

Holtby will likely leave Washington so he’ll land somewhere that needs a goalie.

what does Markstrom value most? Total money, ED and trade protection, team success? Each of the teams that need a goalie have their pros and cons. What is going to make Markstrom the most happy?

What lol

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I wanted to trade Markstrom before but I don’t think it would be right considering his dad passed away so recently. Moving to a new team would be that much more stressful/difficult.

I think at this point you offer him a 2-3 year contract without an NMC and tell him that they can’t protect him in the expansion draft, and that they might need to trade him when Demko is ready to be the 1G. If he doesn’t like that, we have to let him go to free agency.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
I wanted to trade Markstrom before but I don’t think it would be right considering his dad passed away so recently. Moving to a new team would be that much more stressful/difficult.

I think at this point you offer him a 2-3 year contract without an NMC and tell him that they can’t protect him in the expansion draft, and that they might need to trade him when Demko is ready to be the 1G. If he doesn’t like that, we have to let him go to free agency.
There is an if here too. Way too early to think that Demko can be the 1G. The safe bet is to sign Markstrom for 3-4 years and see what you got in Demko.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Cause I have a range that I think is reasonable and expect him to land in depending on term. Shorter term higher cap hit.
More than Koskinen’s$4.5 mill per for 3.
Bishop at $4.9 for 6 years.
Varly at $5 mill per for 4.
Raanta at $4.25 per for 3.

No playoffs yet for Markstrom. Not one of the younger guys who have done well by mid 20’s like vasilevsky, Gibson, Helly, etc.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Oilers, Calgary and Sharks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->