Replacement players prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
BLONG7 said:
Most surveys done seem to have around 80% of people polled said they would go to replacements...which in turn means that most of the PA members would cross because the bottom line is that the NHL even with a cap, is still the league that pays more $$$ to it's players than any other...

Funny the only reliable polls I have seen say just the opposite.

http://www.compas.ca/data/050203-PublicInterestInHockey-PC.pdf

myrocketsgotcracked

Epsilon said:
There is no way I will watch talentless replacement players play hockey when I can watch the best in the world compete in basketball, football, baseball, soccer, golf, and whatever else is going on. I'll watch the World Series of Poker or the World Poker Tour on reruns 100 times before I even think about watching UHLers pretend to be NHLers.
whl doesnt have the best talent in the world (in terms of hockey skill) but the vancouver giants are more entertaining than many of the nhl games i've seen recently. the ny rangers had some of the most talented players in the world the last few years, how many people watch them?
i dont really buy the "best talent=best entertainment" argument, im not sure i even buy the "best talent=best hockey" argument. all i know is, i'll pay money to watch entertaining hockey, and whether that involves the best players in the world, or junior players, or replacement players, or ahl players, i dont really care. this lockout proves to me that i am willing to pay $25 to watch the whl, and if replacement players provide similar entertainment value, i'll pay the same thing for it.

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
getnziggywidit said:
The poll linked is of people who live in Canada where 1/6th of the teams are located.
Zogby polled Americans and 69% said they had no interest in going to see a game when the lockout ended. Unless replacement players are two-and-one-half times as popular as the regulars, it's not likely 80% would go to see them. Heck, if they were that popular, the league could just make the replacements the regulars.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
SuperKarateMonkey said:
whl doesnt have the best talent in the world (in terms of hockey skill) but the vancouver giants are more entertaining than many of the nhl games i've seen recently. the ny rangers had some of the most talented players in the world the last few years, how many people watch them?
i dont really buy the "best talent=best entertainment" argument, im not sure i even buy the "best talent=best hockey" argument. all i know is, i'll pay money to watch entertaining hockey, and whether that involves the best players in the world, or junior players, or replacement players, or ahl players, i dont really care. this lockout proves to me that i am willing to pay $25 to watch the whl, and if replacement players provide similar entertainment value, i'll pay the same thing for it.
agreed

I've seen many AJHL games that were more fun this year than any NHL hockey game I went to last year
heck, the U of A Championship game was one of the most exciting games I've ever been to.

I just wanna see good hockey

RLC

Aug 7, 2004
Montreal
I WILL WATCH REPLACEMENT PLAYERS.

I have carefully looked at every issue in the lockout. We all want the NHLPA to get back to playing hockey. Over the years we ALL KNOW
that the players were using the "highest bidder tactic" to drive all player contract up and up. It is a FACT the players were advantaged in the bidding wars and no one every asked then to give back some of the money because the league was losing money. When the league begged to have the cba re-opened in order to plug the leeking on the sinking ship, the answer for Goodenow " tough bananas" and at that point the NHLPA was NOT careing If clubs would go bankrupt.

Goodenow and the group thought the Owners would cave, they did not and the NHLPA is still playing chicken. So where are we now ?
The last cards to play in this poker game is the replacement players. I have read posters state that the replacement players are talentless, bush league, goons, old men and construction workers and on one will pay to see them.
Lies, and more lies. If fact it's a continuation of the NHPLA's "we don't believe your numbers, we don't believe you or your Levit report. It's all the owners fault for overpaying us all and it's up to the owners to Fix any problem. But don't touch our bidding war and you cant colude to get the contracts down.

Little wonder that the fans are 80% against the NHLPA on this.
Continuation of this one sided hardheaded stance is hurting the game badly and to continue to hold this tactic after an entire year has been cancelled is just plain stupid.
I believe that the NHPLA has been hijacked by a small group of senior players, that have already made their millions, they know that they are about to retire to thier 3 cars and boats.

The NHL WILL WIN THIS dispute. The people that will pay for all this debacule is the young players, rookies, draft picks.
The NHL will make back all this MONEY, perhaps over the next 5 years and play hard ball again on future CBA's due to the NHLPA current stance.

The NHLPA pushed for bigger and bigger contracts, got them and want to continue to hold on to their bargaining advantage they have had. Which part of "greed" does anyone not understand.
As time goes on, the 24% rollback becomes more and more a non issue. Contracts are expireing and the upcomming HARD CAP will make the rollback void.

So the last chance the NHLPA has is now to continue to gamble and hope the replacement players are booed out of exsistance.

So what happens if the gamble does not pay off?

I would like pro-player posters to explain to me what they think happens if the replacement players ARE accepted and the NHLPA losses this last tactic.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Craven Morehead said:
Well, you know that eventually they will reach a deal. Are you prepared to give up your seats and position for season ticket holders??? I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, I really want to know. Like is there a huge demand for season ticket holders in Philly like in Toronto, because if that's the case, that would be a huge gamble to take (or not, depending on your answer) or is there a huge walk-up crowd??? If you are a Leaf fan and decide to give up your season tickets to say you won't show for replacement players, well, you'll lose all your privileges as there will be others who will take the risk with replacements in order to be there down the line for when the real players come back I would think.
Perhaps some teams will make exceptions for people who have been loyal all the years and allow them to keep their ticket priority???...or not, but it should be interesting.

I'll have to pay for my season seats or I'll lose them. Doubt I'll use them though.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
About the surveys...I see only canadians or americans on these various lists NOT hockey fans. As such most don't have much information to lend to this.

AlexGodynyuk

Feb 3, 2005
The only way ticket prices will be $10-$40 is if there is no chance of players crossing over.
What happens when Detroit sets ticket prices at $10-$40 and everybody buys their season tickets, single game tickets, then all the players cross over? Go back to everybody that bought tickets and say, "sorry, now that the real players are back you have to pay me more money."

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The Messenger said:
If you theory had any merit, then why did Washington continue to fall in the Standings by trading away their top players or why are the Pens not more competitive when Lemieux is out and those 3rd and 4th liners are getting more ice time. Teams that lose their top players to injuries thoughout the year usually fall in the standings as a result ... Seldom if ever are they a better team by the loss ..

Good Luck with you theory ..
Because they are playing vs the top guns, this why Pitts or Washington can't do it...but ifit is just 3-4th line guys it all becomes relative...

Benji Frank

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I watched the Jets play. That was difficult enouph sometimes. :D I've now seen the Moose play. You get what you pay for. The Moose advertises itself as AHL hockey & it does not compare to the old Jets hockey....

Until the NHL re-aligns itself in harmony with the best players on the planet, I see absolutely no reason to go to a lounge or Minnesota or even make time to watch an NHL replacement game at home...... even if they moved some Canucks games to WPG, I don't think I'd watch.....

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
BLONG7 said:
Because they are playing vs the top guns, this why Pitts or Washington can't do it...but ifit is just 3-4th line guys it all becomes relative...
Certainly not relative to Sundin, Sakic and Naslund as you say ..

Your point is if the NHL Ice ECHL players as replacements that would be no better then 4th line NHLers, that some of these players would lead their teams in scoring without all the Super Stars of the league around .. but that theory is also true for Beer leagues .. Someone has to be the leading scorer .. That still does not make them great players, just make them look better compared to their piers ..

I can tell you that your theory does not worry Joe Sakic ..

Last edited:

cbjacketsfan

Sep 25, 2003
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Lil' Jimmy Norton said:
Umberger ?? The slug from Pittsburgh who hasn't played one game in the NHL ??He'll dance across because he stinks and is a SOFT player

Im sorry but you are going to have to explain to me how Umberger sucks. By the way how many games have you driven to philly to see since you are from pittsburgh. (what part of pgh? just curious)

what stats of 18g,39A, 57 pts, +/-17, 173 shots
1.broke the record for most points by a rookie for philly that was set at 50 pts
2.named AHL rookie of the month in dec and toyota player of the month for philly in feb
3.on the first line of the 5th top penalty kill in the league
4.tied for 1st in points for philly, 1st in assists, 4th in goals, 2nd in +/- and 4th in shots
5.4th in points for rookies, 5th in goals, 1st in assists, 2nd in +/- and 6th in shots

he hasnt played an NHL game yet but he has suceeded in every level he has ever played at and will continue to do so. hes plus/minus show he is not the defensive liability that people claimed and he is commonly used in 3 on 5's so stevens has faith in his defensive abilities.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
soon enough

once given a chance, some replacement players would prove they can play.

Then "NHLers" would lose their spots.

Thats why, once play starts the flood gates will open wide.

shadoz19

May 21, 2004
AM said:
once given a chance, some replacement players would prove they can play.

Then "NHLers" would lose their spots.

Thats why, once play starts the flood gates will open wide.

Do you really think your going to get the same level of hockey out of replacements??? None of the minor leagues are the same level. They may be exciting but not the same level. Its one thing to be mad at the players and the NHLPA for this mess and be willing to watch replacement players to spite them, but its ignorance to think the level of hockey will be better or the same.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
PensFan said:
Im sorry but you are going to have to explain to me how Umberger sucks. By the way how many games have you driven to philly to see since you are from pittsburgh. (what part of pgh? just curious)

what stats of 18g,39A, 57 pts, +/-17, 173 shots
1.broke the record for most points by a rookie for philly that was set at 50 pts
2.named AHL rookie of the month in dec and toyota player of the month for philly in feb
3.on the first line of the 5th top penalty kill in the league
4.tied for 1st in points for philly, 1st in assists, 4th in goals, 2nd in +/- and 4th in shots
5.4th in points for rookies, 5th in goals, 1st in assists, 2nd in +/- and 6th in shots

he hasnt played an NHL game yet but he has suceeded in every level he has ever played at and will continue to do so. hes plus/minus show he is not the defensive liability that people claimed and he is commonly used in 3 on 5's so stevens has faith in his defensive abilities.

Hes not a bad player..but hes one damn greedy rookie. Wouldn't sign with the Rangers or Nucks because niether team would give him the rookie max of over a million bucks. He even sat out a whole season as a unsigned prospect because he didnt get his money. Its quite obvious what he cares about more. Luckily he found a team that paid him what he wanted or I dont think he would ever be playing hockey for an NHL team in the future.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Hes not a bad player..but hes one damn greedy rookie. Wouldn't sign with the Rangers or Nucks because niether team would give him the rookie max of over a million bucks. He even sat out a whole season as a unsigned prospect because he didnt get his money. Its quite obvious what he cares about more. Luckily he found a team that paid him what he wanted or I dont think he would ever be playing hockey for an NHL team in the future.
Moral of the Story :

If history has taught us anything ..

As long as a player has the ability to hold out ,sooner of later some Dumb GM and Owner will eventually give him the money he is requesting ..

Not too much different from the NHLPA stance in this dispute when you think about it ..

Owners have never shown Self Control in the past, who is to believe they can do it now.

Sitting out a year worked for Umberger, perhaps it will work again in the CBA negotiations .. at least that is what Goodenow is counting on ..

Even with a hard Cap .. When GM's see all the UFA on the market, you will once again see a whole bunch of Bad contracts given out and the Hard Cap will only limit the teams from giving out so many of them ..

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
The Messenger said:
If you theory had any merit, then why did Washington continue to fall in the Standings by trading away their top players or why are the Pens not more competitive when Lemieux is out and those 3rd and 4th liners are getting more ice time. Teams that lose their top players to injuries thoughout the year usually fall in the standings as a result ... Seldom if ever are they a better team by the loss ..

Good Luck with you theory ..
Pssst - - - The Caps actually came out of last place after the trades . . . . . they were in dead last (or tied for last) before the trade deadline - - that's last with guys like Jagr, Bondra, and Gonchar on the team . . . and while not as talented as the departing stars, the Caps were a better team as the players left actually gave two hoots about the game.. . . . having the most talent does not mean you have the best team. . . . as Herb Brooks said, he doesn't want the best players, he wants the right players.

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
HockeyCritter said:
Pssst - - - The Caps actually came out of last place after the trades . . . . . they were in dead last (or tied for last) before the trade deadline - - that's last with guys like Jagr, Bondra, and Gonchar on the team . . . and while not as talented as the departing stars, the Caps were a better team as the players left actually gave two hoots about the game.. . . . having the most talent does not mean you have the best team. . . . as Herb Brooks said, he doesn't want the best players, he wants the right players.

They won 2 games after the trade deadline last season and those wins came against the Rangers and the Penguins.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
none

shadoz19 said:
Do you really think your going to get the same level of hockey out of replacements??? None of the minor leagues are the same level. They may be exciting but not the same level. Its one thing to be mad at the players and the NHLPA for this mess and be willing to watch replacement players to spite them, but its ignorance to think the level of hockey will be better or the same.

of the minor leaguers are playing in the show.

Once in the show, they will adapt and improve.

Big league coaching and support, constant attention.... yup I definately think there will be a minor blip in performance, but in 6 months, I'd be surprised if 1/2 the nhlers could win a spot.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
The Messenger said:
Moral of the Story :

If history has taught us anything ..

As long as a player has the ability to hold out ,sooner of later some Dumb GM and Owner will eventually give him the money he is requesting ..

Not too much different from the NHLPA stance in this dispute when you think about it ..

Owners have never shown Self Control in the past, who is to believe they can do it now.

Sitting out a year worked for Umberger, perhaps it will work again in the CBA negotiations .. at least that is what Goodenow is counting on ..

Even with a hard Cap .. When GM's see all the UFA on the market, you will once again see a whole bunch of Bad contracts given out and the Hard Cap will only limit the teams from giving out so many of them ..

by golly I think you've finnaly got it!!!

the only way these stupid owners can control themselves is if they HAVE TO by law

how many team you think will be at the cap limit knowing it'll be very low??
I'm guessing alot....

labatt50

Feb 26, 2005
The Messenger said:
I can tell you that your theory does not worry Joe Sakic ..

BLONG7's theory might not worry Sakic, but don't think a player pushing 36 and missing a full season of competitive hockey (and possibly more), does worry Sakic and many other I'm sure. All this talk about "crossing the line", do actually think players are going to form a picket line? The same players that fled to Europe to play? The million dollar men? Hardly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->