Replace the Draft Lottery with an Auction

Selzoons

Mar 3, 2018
The entry draft and lottery are fundamentally broken. The draft rewards poor teams but is broken in that poor team building becomes an optimal strategy to amass talent. The lottery is a band-aid solution to severe hemorrhaging. Basically it adds randomness to discourage tanking but in the end it just adds randomness. Doing poorly is still optimal, just not as reliable. And now teams randomly get franchise and generational talents even if some are more likely to than others.

My idea is a bit radical but basically the draft lottery is scrapped and replaced with an auction.

- Teams use points to bid on players.
- Teams are allocated points based on how they low they finish for parity.
- Instead of trading picks, you can trade points, which allows for more granularity. (The number of points distributed would necessarily need to be large numbers to ensure enough players are bid on each year.)
- Tweak the point distribution to discourage tanking and make it more advantageous to have assets to deal at the trade deadline.
- Points have a lifespan of up to 2 (3?) years to balance out strong and weak years and to ensure players are bid on each year.
- Each team must place bid on a minimum number of players (60?).
- Players are eligible for more bonuses depending on how many points are spent on them.

Benefits:
- Skill not luck based, while still giving some advantages to weaker teams.
- Trade deadline becomes more beneficial to middling teams. They can trade off assets to higher tier teams for points to leverage as funds for obtaining franchise players rather than be stuck in a cycle of mediocrity.
- Balances years with no franchise players and years with multiple franchise players. If you aren't happy with the players available you can save them up for the following year or spend fewer points.
- Rewards asset development. Middling teams that develop good players can still get good value out of them rather than trading them for middling lottery tickets.
- Would be significantly more entertaining to see GMs bid on players.

Issues:
- Bad optics, players are treated as assets (not that they aren't currently through trades but this is a step up by creating a virtual currency)
- Would remove any pretense out of the prestige of being drafted.
- Could potentially create too much player movement. A generational talent is available. Chaos ensues.
- Converting from one system to another. How should picks be converted into points? One is based on the future (picks), while the other is based on the past (points). It seems difficult if not impossible to reconcile the two systems.
- If there are any imbalances in the parameters, the system could quickly become degenerate.
- Could destroy parity if a few teams are significantly better at gaming the system than others.

It's not a realistic solution but I think it addresses most of the issues fans have with the draft lottery. There are clear drawbacks mostly for the players that would ensure that this would never be implemented but I thought it was an interesting thought experiment. And maybe someone has an idea that could be used to mitigate those problems.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Crazy idea, but it will never happen because the league doesn't allow teams that actually make money take advantage of that over teams that don't

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa
Not a terrible idea, but the biggest problem with a system like this is that the top few picks are worth so much more than the rest of the draft picks. If a 7th rounder is worth 1 point, the top pick is worth thousand of points. Teams would go all in for top picks. I know you're trying to deter that with the minimum players bid on but I'm not sure how much that solves it.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
The worst team in the NHL only has an 18% shot at the 1st overall pick. How on earth could you de-incentivize tanking any more?

Generally speaking, bad teams deserve to draft higher to add talent to become competitive.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be salty af if the Devils were jumped over twice. But this system is lightyears better than the old one and I hope the NHL sticks with it.

The draft isn't there to solve all the warts of mismanaged teams like the Oilers.

Mosby

Ready for Yeti
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Crazy idea, but it will never happen because the league doesn't allow teams that actually make money take advantage of that over teams that don't

There is no cap on off-ice. Hire the best management, the best scouts, have the best facilities.

Selzoons

Mar 3, 2018
Not a terrible idea, but the biggest problem with a system like this is that the top few picks are worth so much more than the rest of the draft picks. If a 7th rounder is worth 1 point, the top pick is worth thousand of points. Teams would go all in for top picks. I know you're trying to deter that with the minimum players bid on but I'm not sure how much that solves it.
That's true and I did consider it but I feel it could also allow for some interesting strategies like drafting a number of lower level prospects instead of a fewer higher level ones. Not sure how viable that strategy actually is but it would be an option.

Do you aim for McDavid/Eichel or try to get Marner and Rantanen?

Last edited by a moderator:

mike dad bab clock

May 2, 2016
I like your write up, particularly the fact you listed issues with your proposed method rather than just benefits as most would. But like you said... not realistic. Cheers

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
I don't get the point. What issue with the draft does this attempt to solve? The top talent still automatically goes to the team with the most draft capital (points/highest 1st round pick). There is still a direct incentive for performing poorly in the standings. Players still have little to no control over where they play out the first half of their careers.

This is just complicating the system for no apparent reason.

Reactions: glovesave_35

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
How about a tournament to decide the first 4.

You can tank in the regular season to get into the bottom 4, but then your team has to be good enough to win a best of 3 two-round tournament played in the arena where the draft will be held.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Way too radical and complicated for any casual fan to get onboard with. It’s off-putting. That aside, file it under the smart idea that the NHL would never, ever do because they don’t have the balls to be that bold and marketing reasons. It’ll go right next to the 3-2-1 point system.

I feel like hockey fans complain about the most ridiculous things. The only thing "wrong" with the draft lottery is that there are some incompetent teams who have gotten a ton of high picks.

Eh, me and a lot of people would think it’s ridiculous that a team like Chicago ends up drafting top three and the current system has way too much randomness in the lottery chances. Which is why certain teams keep getting all the luck and teams that barely miss the playoffs end up top three.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
31 gamecocks. Toss them in a pit. Put tiny jerseys on them. Picks are distributed by death order. First dead gets last pick and so on.
You’d have to do it in international waters or Central America.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
So what happens when everyone bids the max for McDavid? He picks the team and then you all bid again?

Way too complicated and makes for trading nightmares and goes against the leagues goals like new "draft solutions" almost always do here on HF.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I don't want to doo doo all over OP's idea, but I think they need to go to a system of lottery where the teams that just miss the playoffs have the highest chance at 1st overall. Reward teams for trying but failing to make the dance. We have seen with Edmonton that 1st overall to the worst team isn't necessarily a way to respectability. Bad teams can still trade away assets for futures to make their team better in the long term. But in a league with such sweeping parity, I think rewarding the teams that try but just barely fail is a better approach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->