Gainesville, Florida
Current guys:

Television play by play: Matt McConnell
Television color commentator: Tyson Nash
Television/radio host: Todd Walsh
Radio play by play: Bob Heethuis
Radio color commentator: Paul Bissonnette
Radio host: Luke Lapinski

Radio crew's fine (but I don't really listen to radio broadcasts so my opinion is to be taken with a grain of salt). Fire all three TV guys. Here are my picks for replacements:

Television play by play: Tom Callahan (currently the Roadrunners radio play by play guy)
Television color commentator: @IPreferPi
Television host: Ilya Bryzgalov

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
My life has demonstrated that there is no way I am lucky enough for the opportunity of replacing all three of Nash, McConnell, and Walsh.

If for some reason this were to actually occur I can only assume there would be some devastating, catastrophic tragedy to even things out.

smoot

Jul 13, 2017
I actually like McConnell and Nash. Walsh is an instant mute though.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Current guys:

Television color commentator: Tyson Nash
Television/radio host: Todd Walsh

Radio crew's fine (but I don't really listen to radio broadcasts so my opinion is to be taken with a grain of salt). Fire all three TV guys. Here are my picks for replacements:

Television play by play: Tom Callahan (currently the Roadrunners radio play by play guy)
Television color commentator: @IPreferPi
Television host: Ilya Bryzgalov

Television color commentator: Kid Caster who gets a free pizza for not talking at all... when a play happens that Nash would have said "Pepperoni pizza" to, just flash to the kid eating pizza and not talking
Television/radio host: Alice Cooper

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I am in the minority of course , but after watching the playoffs , I don't really have an issue with Nash .. There are some real boring folks out there..

My favorite broadcaster for the Yotes was Curt Ceilback , and then Dave Strader ..Curt as he was the Jets broadcaster before so I was used to him.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
All fans hate their broadcasters when their team is lousy. If you’re watching your team get their butt kicked every night and some poor bastard is being paid to stay positive about it the whole time, of course you’re going to hate his ass.

We love Strader and Panger because they called the games when we won most of them.

Reactions: Mosby

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Tyson could improve a lot if every game didn't seem so cookie cutter. We've all seen the Nash bingo cards and drinking games. We don't need to hear the same 20 phrases at the same 20 times every game.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Tyson could improve a lot if every game didn't seem so cookie cutter. We've all seen the Nash bingo cards and drinking games. We don't need to hear the same 20 phrases at the same 20 times every game.
He’d make a better Host or whatever Jodie Jackson does. I’d ditch McConnel, Walsh, Jackson and Lapisnki. Just do Heeter, Biz and Nash as the full crew for both TV and radio. Save some money. Give a 4th liner a raise.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
All fans hate their broadcasters when their team is lousy. If you’re watching your team get their butt kicked every night and some poor bastard is being paid to stay positive about it the whole time, of course you’re going to hate his ass.

I dunno I can think of plenty of broadcasters I liked watching bad teams and a few examples from around town even.

A good team does cover up bad broadcasters, but I don't think it works 100% the other way. Lots of people liked Keilback and the Coyotes sucked plenty through the latter 2/3rds of his time here. Pang was mostly here when they were bad too in the Gretzky years, he was only here for two of the Tippett seasons.

Nash and McConnell were already in the booth by 2012 (Another OMG It has been that f***ing long reminder btw). You might remember a controversy around Nash and defending the Torres hit. The two of them, particularly Nash, hadn't yet developed their full shtickiness yet though.

Reactions: RemoAZ

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
When is Upshall retiring? Wasn't his wife an anchorwoman, and didn't he do guest spots while injured? I am certain he could do a little play-by-play or color commentary

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
When is Upshall retiring? Wasn't his wife an anchorwoman, and didn't he do guest spots while injured? I am certain he could do a little play-by-play or color commentary
No idea, his former girlfriend does sports tv, she now dates James Neal.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Everybody is a step down from Strader and Pang. The radio guys are fine, and McConnell is acceptable. Dump Walsh and Nash for just about anybody.

Curt Keilback had a great voice and very good hockey knowledge, but he was the worst radio announcer of any sport that I've ever heard. Listening to him, I had no idea what was going on in the game, not even which zone the puck was in. Good radio announcers paint a picture of the game that you can visualize. Heeter does that pretty well.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I listen to other announcers on the NHL channel on XM and I have to say that Nash and Boynton, as color analysts are at the bottom of the barrel. Heethuis compares favorably on play by play. McConnell less so, because he makes too many unforced errors.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I like the Islander's broadcast team because they don't broadcast like homers. They root for the team but tell it like it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad