TSN: Reorientation Part 1: The culture of homophobia

Status
Not open for further replies.

2KA

Oct 15, 2013
Saskatchewan
This is a great feature. Part 2 was yesterday and Part 3 goes today on Sportscentre. Aaron Ward does an awesome job with this piece.

Some of the points they raise sure makes a guy think.

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto
Hardaway's comments were beyond ignorant but I'm glad he said them because I think they needed to be heard. He isn't the only one who feels that way. I think homosexual athletes will be accepted in time but there is still a whole lot of work to be done so that the amount of homophobic athletes decreases. Having a gay superstar would do wonders as well. It's unfortunate that this has to be a discussion topic but it's great that it is being talked about.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

It be good if the faces of leagues came out and supported gay rights.

Lebron
Crosby
Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Brees

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus

Lebron
Crosby

Per Patrick Burke, every team in the NHL has had a player or players speak in support of You Can Play. YCP also has an official partnership with the NHL.

Not surprising that the NHL is leading the way on this. That Burke got it rolling obviously helped, but even a few years ago an SI poll found the NHL way ahead of the rest of the major sports in saying they'd welcome a gay teammate.

I've only seen part one of Ward's report so far, but it was great. Looking forward to the rest. The TSN web site also has an extended interview with the football player who came out after he retired - forget his name - and it is fantastic.

BlackNgold 84

Known Kellyist
Nov 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Per Patrick Burke, every team in the NHL has had a player or players speak in support of You Can Play. YCP also has an official partnership with the NHL.

Not surprising that the NHL is leading the way on this. That Burke got it rolling obviously helped, but even a few years ago an SI poll found the NHL way ahead of the rest of the major sports in saying they'd welcome a gay teammate.

I've only seen part one of Ward's report so far, but it was great. Looking forward to the rest. The TSN web site also has an extended interview with the football player who came out after he retired - forget his name - and it is fantastic.

Esera Tuaolo is the player I think you're talking about. You got to feel for the guy, couldn't imagine feeling that alone or thinking about killing myself because you're that distraught. You can tell it still hurts, and will probably never stop hurting him.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Esera Tuaolo is the player I think you're talking about. You got to feel for the guy, couldn't imagine feeling that alone or thinking about killing myself because you're that distraught. You can tell it still hurts, and will probably never stop hurting him.

Yes, thanks. I got tears in my eyes watching that interview.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

No surprise. Canadians are very pleasant, agreeable, kind people.

Well, the ones that don't post on HF.

BOOM!

No, but seriously, hockey players are the ****ing best and I am proud of the league on this front.

BergyDGD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Jun 25, 2007
City of Champions,MA
I think the reason you don't see more athletes speak out on the issue is because they would rather not cause the distraction. Just look at Chris Kluwe the former punter of the Vikings and the flack he took from coaches for speaking out for same-sex marriage. Jason Collins hasn't been able to get a contract since coming out, then again he's not a very good basketball player.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
I think the reason you don't see more athletes speak out on the issue is because they would rather not cause the distraction. Just look at Chris Kluwe the former punter of the Vikings and the flack he took from coaches for speaking out for same-sex marriage.

Or they feel it is just nobody's business but theirs.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
No surprise. Canadians are very pleasant, agreeable, kind people.

Well, the ones that don't post on HF.

BOOM!

No, but seriously, hockey players are the ****ing best and I am proud of the league on this front.

Canadians certainly have played a part, but I think the influx of European players has had an influence as well. Diversity doesn't just mean skin color or gender.

And though I'm not a Bettman fan in the least, I'll give him some credit for the NHL being at the forefront on this.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH

Lebron
Crosby

I disagree.

These individuals should take a stand for what they believe in, one side or the other or no side at all.

They should not feel any pressure to take a certain stance in order to tow the company line IMO.

Nor should their super stardom be a factor in terms of whether they decide to take a public stance at all.

BergyDGD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Jun 25, 2007
City of Champions,MA
Or they feel it is just nobody's business but theirs.

I'm not talking about athletes needing to come out because your right it is their right and private business. I was saying many athletes don't speak out on homophobia that exists in sports because it may cause a distraction. By no means are they required to or should have to speak out against homophobia or personal beliefs but a star athlete speaking out against the discrimination would help.

WestCoastBruinsFan

Oct 30, 2008
Victoria, BC
I disagree.

These individuals should take a stand for what they believe in, one side or the other or no side at all.

They should not feel any pressure to take a certain stance in order to tow the company line IMO.

Nor should their super stardom be a factor in terms of whether they decide to take a public stance at all.

I disagree, it would be great if the faces of the league did support gay rights but of course they shouldn't have to. Now if they are on the other side as you say, then I think it would be best if they didn't take a stand.

IafratesEmptyNetGoal

Jul 30, 2005
I disagree, it would be great if the faces of the league did support gay rights but of course they shouldn't have to. Now if they are on the other side as you say, then I think it would be best if they didn't take a stand.

So you are for free speech if the free speech agrees with you, but not if it doesn't?

Bi Coastal Bawse*

At the end of the day who really cares if someone is gay. How does it effect you? Yes superstars should probably speak up about gay rights. They're made to do other crap and speak on other **** all the time. Why not gay rights?

KuralySnipes

Jan 7, 2011
Arlington, VA
I disagree.

I agree 100%.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I disagree.

Absolutely. This race to be the most politically correct is garbage in my mind. It's taking over society and half the time I feel the people leading the movement don't even care about the movement itself so much as being at the forefront of something that makes the current society happy; ie, doing it to promote themselves more than the cause.

For the record, I am not against gays or minorities or anything. But these movements always feel stale and I hate the worry about political correctness everywhere -- the army, society, wherever! It should be a genuine thing. Not because 'society' decides that is how it should be, or your team tells you to believe this etc.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
At the end of the day who really cares if someone is gay. How does it effect you? Yes superstars should probably speak up about gay rights. They're made to do other crap and speak on other **** all the time. Why not gay rights?

Why? Your beliefs don't necessarily equate to theirs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad