Value of: Rental Winger to the Leafs at the deadline

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I think all trades need to be taken from the "who does he replace" perspective.
Who does Jensen replace?
Hainsey is playing (poorly) top minutes and top pair. So no.
Zaitsev is playing 2nd pair, and PKs a decent amount. Cant see it.
I dont see Jensen as much of an improvement if at all over Ozi.

Nyquist could be really fun to add. His advanced numbers show he has a positive impact on shot suppression and shot generation (also having a really solid stat line this year)

Johnsson - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Nyquist - Kadri - Kappanen

Looks solid, but you would need to move Marleau (which i am 100% down for, but we cant take long term salary back)

Brown to the 4th and ennis as your 13th forward would benefit this team very much

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Brown to the 4th and ennis as your 13th forward would benefit this team very much
Dont disagree, but where does Marleau go that he will accept?
I tried to find someone who has
a) an expiring contract
b) a large contract
c) on a solid winning team

and i found nothing really.
I dont see P.M. agreeing to a trade this year unless its to a team with at least a good chance of making some noise in the post season. He came to Toronto to win, and in the **best** season the Leafs have had in a long time, hes wont say yes to a trade to a shitty team IMO.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
I hope that's true, the Leafs need a righty defenceman more than forward help. But don't say "absolutely won't" just yet. The problem is that there aren't many defenders available as rentals, but loads of forwards. And teams have made some head-scratching trade deadline moves in the past.

Remember the year when LA finally got Quick back from injury after Budaj filled in well for months? Then they go and add Bishop as a rental!?? Why add a goalie when your starter just got back, and you rode the backup successfully up to that point?

If Toronto wants to go for it, and there is no worthwhile defenceman to be had, then they'll add a forward. You can bet Dubas will do something while the window is open.

My favorite rumor or speculation is Ritchie and Manson that would be perfect for us..dunno if it happens, just the same as the news that wasnt news about Pieterangelo

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Dont disagree, but where does Marleau go that he will accept?
I tried to find someone who has
a) an expiring contract
b) a large contract
c) on a solid winning team

and i found nothing really.
I dont see P.M. agreeing to a trade this year unless its to a team with at least a good chance of making some noise in the post season. He came to Toronto to win, and in the **best** season the Leafs have had in a long time, hes wont say yes to a trade to a ****ty team IMO.

For this year it doesn't matter. You can upgrade the wing depth and play marleau with kadri

For example:
Kapanen - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Marleau - Kadri - Nyquist
Johnsson - Lindholm - Brown

The targets here are rentals regardless. Figure out next year's cap when it matters.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
As an outside observer I don't have too strong of an opinion here but if they are spending assets it should and needs to be on D. Making the finals is a grind and you may have to go to your 9th and 10th options on the blue line throughout the course of the playoffs. Adding someone into the 3-4-5 hole on the depth chart goes along way to improve the team and insulate against the eventual games missed by d-men to injury.

If they are doing any significant add to the forwards I would think that means that some major injury(ies) to a forward has taken place between now and the deadline.

Thinking about adding at the deadline is a nice place to be instead of worrying about how to get above the line.
Good "problems" to have.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
You not only WANT Zuccarello, You NEED Zuccarello. We will send Brendan Smith along too to help on the Toffnoos. We can retain some money if you don't insist on doing things the hard way.
Ok, is that all we get for our 3rd rounder?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad