Boston Bruins Rene Rancourt Retiring at End of 2017-2018 Season

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto
He will be missed. My Leaf fan friends even love him. I told them that they'll get to see him this spring. Even my Habfan father-in-law likes him.

Rene, you get 3 fist pumps from this guy.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
By far my favorite anthem moment

Thanks Dom

Four things on this snipet

1. Probably around the Allison-Thornton years based on the Bruins jerseys

2. Rene was young and his voice boomed - wow was he bringing it back then

3. The guy who wears the hat and dances in the aisle 'Joe' (his last name slips me) was in the last clip I'm pretty sure. He was obviously a lot younger but I think that's him.

4. I have a bunch of those unopened thunder sticks in my house - my kid loved them and I hated but I remember seeing them lying around one day with a bunch of old memorabilia

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
This news legit makes me very sad. I look forward to hearing the anthem(s) from Rene. I look forward to the fist pumps. I look forward every Christmastime to his Christmas songs. He has been quite an institution at Bruins games for decades. He has been a constant for most of my time as a Bruins fan. I hope he has a wonderful life post-anthem singing at Bruins games. The Bruins need to send him off in style by winning the Cup!

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
All the best to you Rene in your retirement after this season!

We're gonna miss you!

Last edited:

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Raise your glass to one of the true titans. He will be greatly missed

I've run into him a few times either at a Cambridge Sports charity breakfast I go to most years, or even once singing before a Little League Game in East Cambridge, but when he shows up, even there he is full Rene Tux and all

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
It'll be sad to see him go, but what a gentleman! Best of luck to him in whatever he chooses to do next in life.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
If I don't make it to another game, tonight will be the last time I see him sing the anthems in person.

:(

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
NBC producer told me after the game that they were dumbfounded that the Bruins would announce this on Willie O'Ree night and my response was a blank stare.

Rene has always been miffed that the Bruins would not allow him to sing O Canada in French - the only time he has if when the NHL allowed him to do so at the Winter Classic alumni game 2 years ago. Rene grew up in Maine and French was the language in his home.

Reactions: TP and CHRDANHUTCH

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
NBC producer told me after the game that they were dumbfounded that the Bruins would announce this on Willie O'Ree night and my response was a blank stare.

Rene has always been miffed that the Bruins would not allow him to sing O Canada in French - the only time he has if when the NHL allowed him to do so at the Winter Classic alumni game 2 years ago. Rene grew up in Maine and French was the language in his home.

I thought that was a Harry Sinden thing? He's done it at least one other time against Toronto or Ottawa in like 06 or 07.

Reactions: eightspokedb

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I thought that was a Harry Sinden thing? He's done it at least one other time against Toronto or Ottawa in like 06 or 07.

Oh it was definitely an edict from Harry. I have no recollection of him doing it at the Garden but I can't tell you what I had for breakfast today either :laugh:

@dafoomie Rene told me this was his favorite moment when he sang in Montreal before Game 2 of the 1996 World Cup

Reactions: eightspokedb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->