Rene Lecavalier Division Finals - Saskatoon Snipers (1) vs Orillia Terriers (3)

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Nightmare series for the impartial...

Underrated/undervalued- [Saskatoon: Taylor/Kharlamov/Petrov/Stuart/Svedberg] versus...
Playoff Beasts- [Orillia: Keon/Doughty/Toews/Bower/Firsov*] (*not technically a Playoff Beast... but a big moment performer. Granted, Broda also has great post-season bona-fides- but hopefully my ambivalence is understood...)

I love both these teams- and it's a shame i'll find myself voting against one of them(!)

Reactions: rmartin65

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Underrated/undervalued- [Saskatoon: Svedberg]

You seem to have a strong opinion on Svedberg, while I'm having a very difficult time placing him. This is the first time I've really looking into him, and I've found that his offensive reputation is extremely over-rated. He played in 5 World Championships and 1 Olympic games, and didn't put up impressive offensive numbers in any of them. I thought maybe Sweden just couldn't score, but other Swedish defensemen seemed to outscore him pretty regularly.

Was he good defensively?

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Back-to-back media All-Tournament Teams in the Worlds- 1969 & 1970- including an (admittedly controversial) Best Defenseman of Tournament [over Suchý] in 1970. Independent of the scoring totals, he appears to have a case for player most important to Sweden's medals in that particular stretch.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Back-to-back media All-Tournament Teams in the Worlds- 1969 & 1970- including an (admittedly controversial) Best Defenseman of Tournament [over Suchý] in 1970. Independent of the scoring totals, he appears to have a case for player most important to Sweden's medals in that particular stretch.

Very impressive, but were those 2 tournaments the highlights of his career?

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

I know he won those, but I don’t know why. His reputation is that of an offensive defenseman who wasn’t particularly good defensively, so how does he win a best defenseman award when he puts up 1 point in 10 games?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad