Remenda or DeBrusk?

Remenda or DeBrusk?

• Total voters

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
I really don't understand the hate for Drew. The color commentary doesn't really impact my enjoyment of the game. Having said that, Debrusk's analysis is observational and elementary. At least Drew tries to be a bit more sophisticated with his analysis, even if his hit rate is like 50%. Debrusk just sounds like a yes man for the Oilers.

What's really weird is when Quinn asks Drew to jump in anytime... And he doesn't. It's really weird why the color commentary doesn't jump in more often when there is long stretches without a whistle.

Reactions: KYams17

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
I really don't understand the hate for Drew. The color commentary doesn't really impact my enjoyment of the game. Having said that, Debrusk's analysis is observational and elementary. At least Drew tries to be a bit more sophisticated with his analysis, even if his hit rate is like 50%. Debrusk just sounds like a yes man for the Oilers.

What's really weird is when Quinn asks Drew to jump in anytime... And he doesn't. It's really weird why the color commentary doesn't jump in more often when there is long stretches without a whistle.
After listening to Jack Michaels do color for himself while also calling play by play, then Stauffer jumping in the middle of play, I'll take some silence.

Reactions: Aerchon and KYams17

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Is this even a question?

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the Quinn + Remenda duo was voted worst in the league.
Quinn is really bad. I only realized this recently, probably because I live in Japan and don't see as many Edmonton broadcasts. His voice and intonations when speaking just grate on me. If I have to hear "OVERTIIIIIIIIIME WINNER!" one more time, I am gonna go all Godzilla on Tokyo.

Louie is good.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

Hatrix

Oct 7, 2017
Quinn is really bad. I only realized this recently, probably because I live in Japan and don't see as many Edmonton broadcasts. His voice and intonations when speaking just grate on me. If I have to hear "OVERTIIIIIIIIIME WINNER!" one more time, I am gonna go all Godzilla on Tokyo.

Louie is good.

Quinn is just generic/boring and adds nothing of value. He's got the voice for the job but isn't good nor informative and just goes through the motions like a robot.

Remenda on the other hand is just terrible all around. I think I counted 5 times in the first 30 minutes of game time tonight alone that he mentioned the wrong player on the play and either didn't notice himself or had to correct after the fact. I understand no ones perfect but holy shit. And don't even get me started how insufferable he is whenever the Oilers play the sharks. You'd literally think he was San Jose's in game analyst with all the groveling he does.

Reactions: Aerrol

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012
Can't stand Remenda. He's an obnoxious Captain Hindsight in love with the sound of his own voice.

Does anyone actually find it useful to hear 3 minutes of 'so-and-so should have shot instead of passed' after the fact?

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Can't stand Remenda. He's an obnoxious Captain Hindsight in love with the sound of his own voice.

Does anyone actually find it useful to hear 3 minutes of 'so-and-so should have shot instead of passed' after the fact?

I don't like Remenda on color too much but he's OK. Quinn is just awful on play by play, makes a ton of mistakes and speaks slow. His vocal cadence is way too slow for play by play.

Weird last night that during a long sequence Remenda did some play by play and was very good at it. He speaks quickly, could keep up with the play, and his play by play voice has some energy to it.

I think Remenda could be decent just doing the play by play, find somebody else to do color, and Quinn is a nice guy but he just can't do this. He doesn't offer anything. He's the weak link.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I can't stand an announcer that is a complete Homer. It drives me crazy.

Drew Remenda does take it a bit too far but I take that all day every day over a Rick Ball, Cassey, or Hrudey type Homer that exaggerates every play in favor of their team.

But of course I'd rather have Debrusk. He just has a good media voice with solid commentary. He also is a tell it as it is rather than a flamboyant Homer putting his own spin on the game.

I actually think Principe, Remenda, Debrusk, and even the mistake prone Quinn... are a really good and entertaining group.

Debrusk at ice level. Principe and his puns. Drew & Quinn. It's a solid setup and much better than the majority of the league.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Remenda is fine during intermissions. Maybe it's Gene's influence, but he is much more relaxed and tries to make himself useful picking out plays to talk about.

In real time during games though, I think he just can't help himself. He said in an interview a while back that he knows lots of Oilers fans hate him for not putting a positive spin on stuff. I think he enjoys being a troll :)

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Hope this isn't a sore spot for anyone but the guy who sings the anthems at Roger's is bad. We need someone with some passion and flair!

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
Hope this isn't a sore spot for anyone but the guy who sings the anthems at Roger's is bad. We need someone with some passion and flair!
ZomboMeme 19122019014120.jpg

ZomboMeme 19122019014427.jpg

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Maybe it’s because he is overtly negative, maybe it’s the thin, whining, raspy voice, maybe it’s because he looks like Caillou, but I just cant like Remenda. Supposedly he is a nice guy. Thats good. But I’d take DeBrusk over him every day under any circumstances.

Reactions: ClinicallyOilered

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Don't have too many thoughts on either, but "Chip andchase" Louis can get on my nerves at times.

First and foremost, get rid of Kevin Quinn.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Gawd, I really really miss Rod Philips! Hanging over the edge of the press box...calling the winning goal...it was magic compared to the current tripe.

P.S. Rod was on the radio - so you muted the TV and cranked up the radio coverage. He made every game seem like the 7th game of the SC final.

Last edited:
Reactions: oilers'72

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Gawd, I really really miss Rod Philips! Hanging over the edge of the press box...calling the winning goal...it was magic compared to the current tripe.

P.S. Rod was on the radio - so you muted the TV and cranked up the radio coverage. He made every game seem like the 7th game of the SC final.
He would make me white knuckle all the way home.

Oct 15, 2008
After listening to Jack Michaels do color for himself while also calling play by play, then Stauffer jumping in the middle of play, I'll take some silence.
I listened to a bit of the Dallas game. I think he has improved from when he started. Still has a ways to go but he was calling more of the action and doing less conversing during the play. Don’t get me wrong, he was still doing it but it was less than it used to be.

Oct 15, 2008
I listen to a lot of the away feeds now and tbh, almost all of them are better than what we get. That said I think Louie does a pretty good job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->