Remembering When II - We Had a Players Coach & Team Toughness

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Rosy retrospection - Wikipedia

"The Romans occasionally referred to this phenomenon with the Latin phrase "memoria praeteritorum bonorum", which translates into English roughly as "the past is always well remembered"

"Simplifications and exaggerations of memories (such as occurs in rosy retrospection) may also make it easier for people's brains to store long-term memories, as removing details may reduce the burden of those memories on the brain and make the brain require fewer neural connections to form and engrain memories."

Always fun to see this phenomena in action.

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
The guy had a career high of 76 points.
C'mon you post this to push your narrative? Clark was a goal scorer look at his highlight reel goals, he was not a playmaker with high assist totals or his pts would have been through the roof, he had 46, 34, 37,30,28 etc goal campaign seasons which in that time was respectable, most important he brought everything else to the table I've seen him lay bone crushing hits sending 2 players flying, and when he dropped the gloves supporting his team it was a thing to behold you guys who are against tough guys are a joke. Gilmour scored goals had seasons 42, 36,32,13, 11, 15,27 campaigns through out the years I did not put the year beside each number but his assists were astounding, 63,50,59,67,61,40,95,84,40,40 which pushed his pt. totals over 100, although he did not fight like Clark he was chippy, angry, played with a dominant edge, he flung his whole body into bigger guys to make a big hit, they didn't call him Killer for nothing. He is another one of my favs who played with heart, something you stat hounds can't get past your heads. The game they played helped the team win in spirit from their sacrifice, to which there is no stat.

Reactions: mclaren55

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
Rosy retrospection - Wikipedia

"The Romans occasionally referred to this phenomenon with the Latin phrase "memoria praeteritorum bonorum", which translates into English roughly as "the past is always well remembered"

"Simplifications and exaggerations of memories (such as occurs in rosy retrospection) may also make it easier for people's brains to store long-term memories, as removing details may reduce the burden of those memories on the brain and make the brain require fewer neural connections to form and engrain memories."

Always fun to see this phenomena in action.
Oh I guess your a shrink now, The whole fan base who went to games over those years and the majority here who all Loved Wendel who saw what he brought with their own eyes all need your help yea I get it.

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
What did you see in his career?
That ONE year he was good.
I saw that too
One year? pfft ya pass on what your smokin every hockey pundit and fan loved Wendel and the heart he brought, they don't retire a players Jersey for having one good year, like you must be a curling fan.

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
So when you see the Sens logo... like in this epic failure....

You see yourself staring back at you?

Dude. Let’s get you some Dr Phil tickets

NO I see a bunch of Morons.

However here's a pic for you to drool over
a2b047272ac650a293d324de2587f9a9--sexy-men-hot-men.jpg

Craig Button

Jul 28, 2015
One year? pfft ya pass on what your smokin every hockey pundit and fan loved Wendel and the heart he brought, they don't retire a players Jersey for having one good year, like you must be a curling fan.

They retired his jersey by default.
They had no choice.

Before Gilmour, Clark was always injured.
Was never the best player.
You don't remember the late 80's at all.
You are only going by the 1993-1994 Season.
I remember the Clark before that.
The one that played 28 games in a season.
The one that played 15 games in a season.
The one hat played 38 games in a season.
And this is all back to back.

I remember fans calling him a bust.
I remember the Leafs always looking to trade him.
It wasn't until Gilmour came and turned Clark's career around for that ONE year after 8 seasons that someone finally took bait and traded for him.

If you want to fantasize that Clark is some sort of Messier, Claude Lemieux, Rick Tocchet, Cam Neely go right ahead.

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
They retired his jersey by default.
They had no choice.

Before Gilmour, Clark was always injured.
Was never the best player.
You don't remember the late 80's at all.
You are only going by the 1993-1994 Season.
I remember the Clark before that.
The one that played 28 games in a season.
The one that played 15 games in a season.
The one hat played 38 games in a season.
And this is all back to back.

I remember fans calling him a bust.
I remember the Leafs always looking to trade him.
It wasn't until Gilmour came and turned Clark's career around for that ONE year after 8 seasons that someone finally took bait and traded for him.

If you want to fantasize that Clark is some sort of Messier, Claude Lemieux, Rick Tocchet, Cam Neely go right ahead.
By default? and yea thanks for your permission I'll leave it that, most of us and fan base who feel this way are all wrong.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
C'mon you post this to push your narrative? Clark was a goal scorer look at his highlight reel goals, he was not a playmaker with high assist totals or his pts would have been through the roof, he had 46, 34, 37,30,28 etc goal campaign seasons which in that time was respectable, most important he brought everything else to the table I've seen him lay bone crushing hits sending 2 players flying, and when he dropped the gloves supporting his team it was a thing to behold you guys who are against tough guys are a joke. Gilmour scored goals had seasons 42, 36,32,13, 11, 15,27 campaigns through out the years I did not put the year beside each number but his assists were astounding, 63,50,59,67,61,40,95,84,40,40 which pushed his pt. totals over 100, although he did not fight like Clark he was chippy, angry, played with a dominant edge, he flung his whole body into bigger guys to make a big hit, they didn't call him Killer for nothing. He is another one of my favs who played with heart, something you stat hounds can't get past your heads. The game they played helped the team win in spirit from their sacrifice, to which there is no stat.

Sure, but Roberts and Neely and those other guys did all that stuff just as well as Clark, if not better. They just also put up real offensive totals. Clark doesn't have anything over them in terms of personal awards, stats, or cups.

Reactions: Keanu Reeves

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
Sure, but Roberts and Neely and those other guys did all that stuff just as well as Clark, if not better. They just also put up real offensive totals. Clark doesn't have anything over them in terms of personal awards, stats, or cups.
Who is comparing Clark with Neely? Its us Leaf fans who loved the way Wendel played, we loved Roberts as well when he played for us with his tenacity and grit. Neely was a 50 goal scorer a big guy another one of my favorites but Wendel had that big shot, knocked Joseph flying, big wrist and snap shot, but I dunno watch the videos. What Wendel lacked from Neely's goal total he made up with huge hits and fights he brought it all. Why is it some of you guys just can't let most of us enjoy the memories of guys like Clark, Gilmour, Andreychuk and the likes without posting they don't have awards or cups, there have been alot of excellent players who played and not won a cup

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Who is comparing Clark with Neely? Its us Leaf fans who loved the way Wendel played, we loved Roberts as well when he played for us with his tenacity and grit. Neely was a 50 goal scorer a big guy another one of my favorites but Wendel had that big shot, knocked Joseph flying, big wrist and snap shot, but I dunno watch the videos. What Wendel lacked from Neely's goal total he made up with huge hits and fights he brought it all. Why is it some of you guys just can't let most of us enjoy the memories of guys like Clark, Gilmour, Andreychuk and the likes without posting they don't have awards or cups, there have been alot of excellent players who played and not won a cup

He's obviously fishing.

Wendel Clark has a retired jersey as part of our historic hockey club. He also has a friggin' statue.

We know what Wendel meant to the club as does the club.

As handsome as this Keanu fellow claims to be... I suggest we take a little bit of Rick Vaughan attitude towards the posts

giphy.gif

Craig Button

Jul 28, 2015
Your entitled to your opinion the rest of us ours no sense in bantering. Most players Jerseys get retired years later after they retire.

No you are not getting it. The Leafs didn’t retire numbers. They only honoured it. Shanahan changed that to make peace with Keon.
so they had to retire all the honoured numbers. That’s what I meant by default

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
No you are not getting it. The Leafs didn’t retire numbers. They only honoured it. Shanahan changed that to make peace with Keon.
so they had to retire all the honoured numbers. That’s what I meant by default

When Wendel was traded... not one player ever wore 17 while it was available.

Players get his impact.

Fans do too.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
What a dirt bag response, so in your opinion every player on the Leafs sucked since 67? Sittler, Salming, Vaive, Gilmour, Andreychuk etc?
Dirt bag? Did i just stumble onto the set of Police Academy?

As someone raised during the Ballard era, I just find it amusing that people are now yearning for the days of yesteryear.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The last time that the Leafs had any success in the playoffs was in 2002, a lineup that featured Roberts, McCabe, Domi, Tucker, Corson, Belak and even Berg and Travis Green would be considered grit compared to our current squad. That team played 20 games in the playoffs that year, and had 385 penalty minutes. By comparison, we had 481 penalty minutes last season... in 82 games.

Now, I'm not saying more penalty minutes is good or anything, but for many of us, THAT team was the last success, so it's kind of stuck in our memory. Plus, with Sundin injured, Roberts just took the team on his back, and went PPG in the playoffs.

That era of hockey has long since passed, but that team succeeded because of their sheer will, and desire. They fought (often literally), for every game win. That's the type of passion and work effort lacking from our guys so far. I think many people long for that toughness that the 2002 team played with, out of nostalgia, which is understandable. We absolutely do need more compete though. A Roberts type on this team would be huge.

Reactions: moon111

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
The last time that the Leafs had any success in the playoffs was in 2002, a lineup that featured Roberts, McCabe, Domi, Tucker, Corson, Belak and even Berg and Travis Green would be considered grit compared to our current squad. That team played 20 games in the playoffs that year, and had 385 penalty minutes. By comparison, we had 481 penalty minutes last season... in 82 games.

Now, I'm not saying more penalty minutes is good or anything, but for many of us, THAT team was the last success, so it's kind of stuck in our memory. Plus, with Sundin injured, Roberts just took the team on his back, and went PPG in the playoffs.

That era of hockey has long since passed, but that team succeeded because of their sheer will, and desire. They fought (often literally), for every game win. That's the type of passion and work effort lacking from our guys so far. I think many people long for that toughness that the 2002 team played with, out of nostalgia, which is understandable. We absolutely do need more compete though. A Roberts type on this team would be huge.

I can see a parallel between those early 00's Sens teams and the current Maple Leafs.

Lots of talent, but couldn't beat the tougher (and also skilled) Maple Leafs. TML always had their number. Shane Corson also turned into the reincarnation of Frank J Selke against the Sens.

Good times.

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
Dirt bag? Did i just stumble onto the set of Police Academy?

As someone raised during the Ballard era, I just find it amusing that people are now yearning for the days of yesteryear.
Not for Ballard but for the integrity of the players then, just seems way more heart and soul in players on all teams in previous era's of hockey, also for the brand of hockey that was played then, game now is a joke with 20 power plays a game to which imho officials have too much power for outcome in games. Hockey became far to Betmanized like where he came from basketball, you sneeze on a guy and the officials arm is up its bogus hockey to most who like the old tough style games, a pp had to be a very noticeable infraction. No touch icing is one of the rules that totally makes sense to prevent players from really getting hurt as well as head shots. The rest of the stupidity was put in place so that fans can witness higher goal totals per game. Most older school fans don't care for this brand.

Last edited:
Reactions: moon111

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Remember when grittiness has not won us a Cup in the last 30 years...Maybe trying skill is the way to go...

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
It's kind of like politics. We vote one party in until we get sick of them, then we vote the other party in. A repetitive cycle.

In the Burke drafts we would scream for some talent. Some kind of home run talent, like a Kirill Kabanov, rather than piling up with Kenny Ryan and Jamie Devane picks. Mikhail Stefanovich was someone we over-drooled over because he had skill and the potential to be a home run. Watch the YouTube highlights and pair them with juicy HockeyDB stats and we have our player.

Now in this regime, we are dying for size and toughness. Just look at the height and weight chart and the rest will hopefully follow. Oh how we would kill to have drafted a guy with Devane's size chart in round 3 this year.

Funny how it works.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad