Remembering When II - We Had a Players Coach & Team Toughness

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Your post is the only correct one.

I will expand on that and continue.

For some reason Leaf fans are treating him like he's a Mark Messier or Claude Lemieux.
I remember before Gilmour showed up how Leaf fans would call into radio shows like Stormin Norman to ***** and complain about Clark that he's a bust. I remember rumours every year that Leafs were looking to trade him.
Then Gilmour showed up and changed this franchise. He was leading on the ice. Andreychuck showed up and was a strong presence at the front of the net. Borchevsky was first to capitalize with being with Gilmour in 92-93 then Clark. Playoffs came and Clark had his NHL breakthrough after 8 Seasons. He continued the success into the next season and had a career year with another great playoff run. He then got traded and returned to the Real Wendel Clark. The one that deosn't get mentioned anywhere either than by Leaf fans.

To romantisize that Clark was some sort of Mark Messier, Claude Lemieux , Rick Tocchet or a Cam Neely is beyond ridiculous.

He's a Tough Joffrey Lupul that beat the **** out of some people. That's it. Nothing more.

Okay that was harsh, But hey let's be Real.

"1 good season and 2 good playoff runs a great legend it does not make" - Yoda

Here’s a fishing fail gif

giphy.gif

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
I would bet everything I have that with a Wendel in his prime on this team, the floaters on this team would be more afraid of Wendel than a physical opposition therefore you would see a team that would come to play instead of 5 or 10 minutes here and there. Oh and also the guys that just stick check and bail on going into the corners, I think Wendel would fix that as well just with a mean stare.

Wendel was a floater himself.

Craig Button

Jul 28, 2015
yea got a bridge to sell ya
I see what you are doing. Sens logo. Wendel bashing.

Just remember it’s all in good fun and treat whatever you catch the way you would like to be treated.

giphy.gif

I’m a Leaf fan. Born and Raised.

I use the sens logo because I happen to look similar to Keanu Reeves and when I look at the sens logo all I see is Keanu looking at me.

not Wendel bashing.

just keeping it Real

giphy.gif

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Wendel was a floater himself.
I don't think it was any secret that Clark didn't like to back check.
He would routinely be the last guy back in the zone, people just missed this because you couldn't see it on tv.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009

I use the sens logo because I happen to look similar to Keanu Reeves and when I look at the sens logo all I see is Keanu looking at me.

not Wendel bashing.

just keeping it Real

giphy.gif

This Keanu Reeves?

oZ2B0o5.jpg

Reactions: Pookie

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach

not Wendel bashing.

just keeping it Real

giphy.gif
All good but here is another sample, I saw Wendel play he was the best Ive seen in a long time since Sittler, I'm talking players drafted by us. Wendels later stint with the Leafs traded and coming back in his later years was when he had a very bad back to where even the announcers were in awe that he could play, yes he wasn't the same Wendel he missed games, but he still was an effective player hurt. I have never in my life time seen an energetic goal scorer with a huge shot, good skater, crushing bodychecker, pound for pound one of the toughest fighters as well, complete package.

Craig Button

Jul 28, 2015
All good but here is another sample, I saw Wendel play he was the best Ive seen in a long time since Sittler, I'm talking players drafted by us. Wendels later stint with the Leafs traded and coming back in his later years was when he had a very bad back to where even the announcers were in awe that he could play, yes he wasn't the same Wendel he missed games, but he still was an effective player hurt. I have never in my life time seen an energetic goal scorer with a huge shot, good skater, crushing bodychecker, pound for pound one of the toughest fighters as well, complete package.

So much wrong here. I don;t even know where to start.

Wendel was injury prone before his career year in 1993-1994 after 8 Years with the Leafs. The Wendel after the trade is the Wendel before his career year.

He's no Mark Messier, Claude Lemieux, etc.
He doesn't belong in the Next tier either.
Rick Tocchet, Cam Neely, Gary Roberts.
Ne's not in the tier after that.
Kirk Muller, Steve Thomas, Shayne Corson.

He's in the next tier.

Your perception is just another example of Fallacy of Romanticizing the Past.

Wendel was a fine player, just not a very good one

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix

Wendel was injury prone before his career year in 1993-1994 after 8 Years with the Leafs. The Wendel after the trade is the Wendel before his career year.

He's in the next tier.

I think you are out to lunch. He scored more career goals than Corson, almost as many as Muller in 600 less games. More goals per game than Thomas, Tocchet and Gary Roberts. All while beating the snot out of pretty much everyone. Wendel was a beast.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I think you are out to lunch. He scored more career goals than Corson, almost as many as Muller in 600 less games. More goals per game than Thomas, Tocchet and Gary Roberts. All while beating the snot out of pretty much everyone. Wendel was a beast.

Thats what I was thinking

Craig Button

Jul 28, 2015
You guys don't watch any Hockey outside the Leafs.
It shows.
Wendel had great instances in small samples.
But to compare those small sample sizes to full seasons is a joke.
Corson was a tough guy to play against in Montreal. They were focus on defense. You may not remember that.
To think Clark is better than Tocchet, Roberts and Thomas is pure insanity.

you guys missed out on a lot of hockey.

Clark better than Tocchet.
lol that's a good one.
What's next? You're gonna tell me he's better than Claude Lemieux.
My god Clark isn't better than Cam Neely and you think he's better than Tocchet.
lol.
I have an autograph Clark Jersey to sell you.
It's for $35,000.00
It's a bargain.

horner

May 22, 2007
did they win a cup?
no.
then we're not missing much.
they were fun to watch.
iam a die hard leaf but the old era was better

we have a shit load more talent on this team but man if they aren't skating and scoring or creating chances they are incredibly boring.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
You guys don't watch any Hockey outside the Leafs.
It shows.
Wendel had great instances in small samples.
But to compare those small sample sizes to full seasons is a joke.
Corson was a tough guy to play against in Montreal. They were focus on defense. You may not remember that.
To think Clark is better than Tocchet, Roberts and Thomas is pure insanity.

you guys missed out on a lot of hockey.

Clark better than Tocchet.
lol that's a good one.
What's next? You're gonna tell me he's better than Claude Lemieux.
My god Clark isn't better than Cam Neely and you think he's better than Tocchet.
lol.
I have an autograph Clark Jersey to sell you.
It's for $35,000.00
It's a bargain.

Never said he was better than Tocchet, just stated the fact that he put up very good number in comparison. Either way, not getting into it with someone who thinks they are Keanu Reeves.

Reactions: Pookie

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach

He's in the next tier.

Dude you are so far out to lunch its ridiculous Don't bother telling me what I saw in his career, and your perception is you can't see past your nose

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
Agreed one season 46 goals in 64 games, he had one of the best wrist and slap shot snipes in the league. This guy is just talking through his hat

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

not Wendel bashing.

just keeping it Real

giphy.gif

So when you see the Sens logo... like in this epic failure....

You see yourself staring back at you?

Dude. Let’s get you some Dr Phil tickets

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad