Remembering When II - We Had a Players Coach & Team Toughness

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Almost shocking that we outplayed Boston 5 on 5 despite having this pathetic group of heartless weaklings. This grit conversation was almost non-existent during the series too.
Grit and will go hand in hand. In the Leafs last three playoff series, the team that had more of it won the deciding games. It’s not a cooincidence.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
I'd love a guy like Wilson or Tkachuk, it's obvious the value they add and the space they open up. Colton Orr is not Wilson or Tkachuk, nobody cares that he's on the ice other than the other guy making 700k who's gonna fight him off a faceoff.
You’re right. Today all physical players need to be able to play a regular shift and there several who do and do it well. Some teams have more than one. Leafs have none.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Brilliant!
Zack Hyman taking face-offs in the Leafs end on a penalty kill with a torn ACL is selfish! Not tough! Stupid, stupid, stupid! The Leafs need to learn a bit from the Raptors and not have injured players guaranteeing losses

Exhibit A of the American Association of US Ice Hockey Teams taking steps to ensure there is no Canadian branch-plant team like the Leafs advancing in the playoffs hurting the chances of a fat- cat US TV deal. Really want to be wrong, but the AAUSIHT screwed over the Leafs.

And we have an analytics department, churning out correlations and doing big- brain thinking and honest to goodness "math is hard" analysis! Rejoice, rejoice! This is the golden age of Leafs management
Let’s win a round before bringing out the term “Golden Age”.

Reactions: Cobra777

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
The discussion was about toughness vs. soft play...at no point did I make this about 'last year" ...look ,if your comprehension is that poor,or if you just don't get it,then I 'll just move on.
You're tell me my reading comprehension is poor, yet you're the one responding to the wrong post. You've quoted what I said to another poster and not what I said to you.

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
again. i'm not saying that won't have an impact. but it's not "the thing." it's sprinkles on the sundae. what the Leafs exactly need is to shore everything up. quite frankly they had toughness and they didn't go far either. the significant problems still existed and is still (in my opinion) being ignored. work on the serious issues first, then take care of the toughness.
They had game 7 in the bag 4-1 with 7 min left the Boston Gardens was almost empty, the series was a pleasure to watch because Orr, McClaren, Mark Frazer, Uncle Leo, and the likes kept Chara and Lucic from taking their usual liberties, the series was excellent to watch just because our tough guys laid checks on Chara and the rest of the big Bad Bruins who weren't so bad because we had an answer. Scarecrow Kessel and the rest of the non physical guys played well because of our muscle. Guys I mentioned above were not on the ice for the come back debaucle so this board cannot put the blame or argue that the team blah blah still didn't make it out of round 1. when the B's scored and it was 4-2 I would have put a couple of my big guys out there to lay the big hit and intimidate with strict instruction not to go overboard and take a penalty, but Carlyle played the guys who could not stop the Boston cycle and we lost. This team lost bad to Boston both game 7's and really get bent over watching pukes like Debrusk and Marchand and Chara who punched Tavares in the face and so on for the beat down. I really don't care what a few of the posters here think about this new NHL because it SUCKS, full of power plays all game and total b.s penalties no matter who gets them, it has ruined the game and flow of it. Hockey back then, the big brawls was the gravy and cherry for entertainment and also gave life to the game thats full of adrenaline since it was invented. Now its like a Liberal politically correct Me too everybody offended bunch of garbage

Last edited:
Reactions: Leaffan1991

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
Yea probably get flamed for this but I don't care because this guy did it all and shed tears when he learned he was traded away, he sacrificed his whole persona and body for the team that drafted him unlike the spoiled players that only want the money that we see now, heck not only do they shy away from any form of this video but they also abandon regular hockey fundamentals with only playing when they feel like it. Other players like Gilmour, Sundin, Yzerman, Lemieux, Sakic, Modano, Bossy, Gretzky etc. whom are more of my favorites, they didn't drop the gloves but man they played hard and you can see the difference in mindset, they were committed. .

Last edited:

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
great memories, Clark was significantly smaller then Nylander is........"it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."
Yes sir fully agree, I just was in awe of the former stars they just played with intensity and honor for the logo on the front of their jerseys and for the ultimate goal of a Stanley cup. I find this missing in not all but alot of players now days

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I'd say he retired with the admiration of a generation of thankful Leafs fans. Oh and by the way before dissing the career of a guy like Clark you might want to compare the links below............

Martin Skoula Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Wendel Clark Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Martin Skoula was one of the greatest Leafs of the 2000s, how dare you.

Also I'm being genuine when I say it's a shame his career was what it was. He'd be a better example for our guys if he willed his way to a cup.

But why be Clark with nothing other than a banner when you can be Kessel with 2 cups, more money, and no chronic injuries to worry about for the rest of your life?

Leaf4Life79

Jun 30, 2018
St. Thomas, ON
Yea probably get flamed for this but I don't care because this guy did it all and shed tears when he learned he was traded away, he sacrificed his whole persona and body for the team that drafted him unlike the spoiled players that only want the money that we see now, heck not only do they shy away from any form of this video but they also abandon regular hockey fundamentals with only playing when they feel like it. Other players like Gilmour, Sundin, Yzerman, Lemieux, Sakic, Modano, Bossy, Gretzky etc. whom are more of my favorites, they didn't drop the gloves but man they played hard and you can see the difference in mindset, they were committed. .

Clark was my fav!
Man that team kicked friggin ass! I miss those days when players played like MEN!

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Martin Skoula was one of the greatest Leafs of the 2000s, how dare you.

Also I'm being genuine when I say it's a shame his career was what it was. He'd be a better example for our guys if he willed his way to a cup.

But why be Clark with nothing other than a banner when you can be Kessel with 2 cups, more money, and no chronic injuries to worry about for the rest of your life?
Integrity,maybe!

Reactions: rumman

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I'm just a tad biased when it comes to this player. :)

A lot of great memories wrapped up in three tenures with the team. Can only wish his (Leaf, in particular) career would have lasted a bit longer, and included raising something silver with his teammates.

Reactions: Cobra777

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad