Remembering When II - We Had a Players Coach & Team Toughness

Discussion in 'Toronto Maple Leafs' started by Pookie, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Pookie

Pookie It was a pleasure doing business with you

This is a poetic waxing back to an era when a team was a team... all the way through the organization.

The late Pat Burns, one of my favourite coaches of all time, was eventually chased out of Leaf Nation... as things tend to go. But while he was here... the 92-93 and 93-94 Leafs were ... forgettaboutit.

Pat Burns was famously remembered for going after Barry Melrose between the benches in the 92-93 playoff series vs LA Kings.

But that mentality didn't just emerge in that incident. It was part of his entire tenure in Toronto, before and after.

Here's a great clip of what a team does when someone they care about was targeted. A hit on Gilmour. A response by the entire freakin' team.

And at the 1:13 mark of the video... watch Burns.

The current $oft $quad. The current, "I don't buy physicality GM." The current "all about me" Coach... friggin' learn from the past and conduct yourselves with the honour that is being a Leaf.

F' me. I need a beer.

2. Jozay

Jozay Registered User

bro stop making threads.

but yeah, those were good times. Maybe Dubas will address it in the future.

3. HamiltonNHL

HamiltonNHL Parity era hockey is just luck

A truly great coach.

Players performed for him.

4. Advanced stats

Advanced stats Registered User

Pookie, this isn't a blog site. What's with the daily "remember when" threads?

We get it though, you don't like the team.

Frelimo, Budz22, AreBe and 2 others like this.
  5. Pookie

Not true. I just spent good coin on a road trip to Montreal to cheer on the team. I will ALWAYS love the Leafs.

Many of us feel as though this era of junk stats and lack of passion is a step back. I highlighted there would be more "Remember When" focus threads. This one is on the late Pat Burns.

I really don't feel as though there is anything wrong with remembering a team that was led by a fantastic coach. Particularly in the Leafs forum.

For those not old enough to remember, it's a history lesson and maybe a chance to gauge what they are missing.

If it's not your cup of tea.. that's cool. Plenty of threads to choose from.

For me. I enjoyed watching. I enjoyed seeing the coach say "Good Job" up and down the bench when players actually battled for each other.

It's a mentality and a culture that I hope returns one day.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    studebaker17, Jmo89, Cobra777 and 7 others like this.
  6. Pookie

... because?

Jmo89, Cobra777 and Al14 like this.
  7. Stephen

Stephen Moderator

Home Page:
    I just want to see our Big 4 fired up like this in the heat of battle.

8. mulefarm

mulefarm Registered User

Leaf fans were never happy! This is fake news!

nsleaf, Budz22, Matthews34 and 2 others like this.
  9. frog

frog Registered User

Junior Frog Biologist

This game the leafs season was ending the odds of making the playoffs were lowered. But seeing this I saw a team that had heart, hated to lose and do go down with a fight (literally and metaphorically) Allison, Tucker, Peca these weren't tough guys they were just good players with heart and soul. I miss this team, you don't see this with this team, they just pokecheck and are submissive in defeat when they lose.

Look at everyone having eachothers backs in a scrum/brawl, nobody watching to see their guy get bullied

Magic Man and Pookie like this.
  10. Daisy Jane

Daisy Jane everything is gonna be okay!

did they win a cup?
    no.
    then we're not missing much.

11. Teeder Keon

Teeder Keon Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders

Mastermind
    Hell- a - frig - a- lu -Ya

Pookie likes this.
  12. frog

frog Registered User

Junior Frog Biologist
    They did make it past the 1st round though... Anything could have happened with that team in 2002

13. Pookie

Did they get out of the first round?

Yes.

Then we can learn from history and improve on that.

Cobra777 and mclaren55 like this.
  14. Daisy Jane

once again. since you are awash with nostalgia.

the reasons (in order) of why we were eliminated in the 1st round all three years is as following.

1: The power play that was 2nd, 2nd, and 7th(i think) in the league was 16th, 16th, 16th. they barely capitalized on any chance they had. it was horrendously bad.

2: the penalty kill was historically bad. it got worst every year (Oh by the way. they were like dead last in the PK too. so for it to get worse you know that's utterly bad).

3: Freddy Andersen couldn't stop a beach ball in any of the 3 elimination games that he played when it ensured the leafs could move to the round.

4: the utter lack of discipline from the Leafs in critical moments (big spot light on Kadri, Nazem, who isn't here anymore, so this point is moot).

5: egregious defensive breakdowns from forwards and defense.

6: lack of adapting quicker from Babcock.

what is so freaking painfully frustrating here (more so than everyone who wants to beat the "advance stats tho" drum) is the "but we're so soft tho." drum) that. is. not. the problem. to be. focusing . on. like at all. (not to mention at all that even when the Boston was being their aggressive selves, the Leafs were at their best, skating hard, and ignoring all of that crap. Not to mention they threw hits etc).

so many people have decided to spin their narrative if they "were just tougher, and stir." everything will be fine. and it won't. not until they get to theplayoffs, and freaking address the several things that actually cost them the playoffs.

they were never eliminated because they couldn't take a hit or refused to hit. they were eliminated because Andersen was a Sieve. Because they couldn't capitalize on the powerplay. because they couldn't penalty kill if their lives required them to do so. Because Babcock decided to you know limit Matthews when he's having the game of his life in Game six, and then pull the goalie without the Leafs having possession. (or playing Zack Hyman on one leg). a "Players coach" and toughness isn't going to fix all of that.

not to mention. (and i am not on Team Dubas here) the fact that people are under this mindset that he doesn't even want toughness on the team (while he had a blend of grit and skill on his Soo teams) is just laughable.

like holy moses.

15. Pookie

Daisy.. Dr Phil and I are concerned.

I am not caring one squirt of urine about the current progress in the regular season. Whatever the frig our power play is ranked matters not.

We have enough skill to get into the post season. I'm not worried at all.

They don't have to do a single thing. I don't care where they are right now. I would bet my mortgage that they end up in the playoffs.

As for the playoffs... Dubas doesn't want physicality on the team because he actually said "I don't believe in it."

This team will NOT get through round one based on the fact that 3 previous versions have not got through round one and the core is essentially the same.

I like a tough team. I'm not sure if you do. Like @Gallagbi .. you frustrate me sometimes but I really enjoy your posts. We are on opposite ends. That's ok. I'm a really cool guy and I'm sure you are really cool too.

If you were in Montreal with me and my son last weekend, we would have bought you a beverage of your choice and pleasantly dissed Habs fans as much as humanly possible.

ImpartialNHLfan and ToneDog like this.
  16. DcW

DcW Registered User

I love how Harry Neale didn't seem the least bit shocked at the shannanigins going on.

Hot take...I prefer those sweaters over the current ones (duck and cover)

Pookie likes this.
  17. hector morrison

hector morrison Registered User

Did you watch it? Have you been watching since '67...if not ,you didn't miss much!

18. hector morrison

hector morrison Registered User

Well.of course not...it was expected. A team that was built with those characters,no way they were taking any shyte! Imagine the value of a Wendel on this current team !

Dough72 likes this.
  19. Daisy Jane

and the reasons why they didn't get passed through one has nothing to do with toughness. it has to do with what i listed above. a horrendous powerplay, an even worse penalty kill, shoddy goaltending, and crap missed assignments.

so great. you love tough teams. but having a tough team isn't addressing what cost the team the first round 3 times. all it would have done was have a slightly tougher time with the same issues that cost them. how you or anyone else who bemoans the softness of the team can't see that is beyond me.

20. socko

socko Registered User

There is no doubt that special teams between us and Boston was huge and that the jury is still out on Freddy, while some think he's top end, I think he's more league average, but there is little doubt that lack of heart was a cause as well. Nylander is a perfect example of this. His infamous moment in the offensive zone where he seems to be daydreaming while the puck is passed to him in the slot area (prime scoring position) or his laziness when he coughed up the puck right next to his own goal. Just some egregious examples of all too common lack of effort.

21. the squared circle

the squared circle Registered User

I support this thread ! :pb::wally::scared:

22. Rants Mulliniks

Rants Mulliniks Registered User

One of my favourite coaches as well but what I really admired about him (and what to me makes a great coach) was he knew how to maximize each player's strengths and minimize their weaknesses and to get anyone to buy in to their role.

studebaker17 likes this.
  23. RoyalCitySlicker

RoyalCitySlicker Registered User

The year is 1992, December to be exact......

Leafs: *Claim Bill Berg off waivers*

Pat Burns: "Bill Berg? I wouldn't know who Bill Berg was if I ran him over with my car in the parking lot!".

Love it.

Al14 likes this.
  24. Volcanologist

Volcanologist Used Register

"Pookie reminisces about another Leaf team that didn't win the Cup Ch. 2"

25. Hide N Seek Champion

Hide N Seek Champion Registered User Sponsor

Loved both Pats - Burns and Quinn.

Legendary and the squared circle like this.