OT: Remembering the Icecaps and other ECHL teams of the 90's

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
I witnessed a lot of shenanigans at Dorton arena. It wasn't great hockey, but it was hockey, and it was cheap entertainment. I saw players hit in the face with beer cups, etc. Opposing teams had to walk in front of the bleachers to get back to their locker room, and would regularly get in wars of words with fans. Saw one player take a whack at someone with his stick, and then get pelted with full drinks.

The glass would fog over, they had people come out with squeegees and clean it. Saw players skate laps to try to blow the fog off the ice. Dorton wasn't air conditioned.
Saw Gordie Howe take warmups with the Ice Caps once. He signed autographs in the concourse. I was fortunate to meet the man that nighy, and get his autograph.
I think all I have left is a game program and a puck. No jersey. Wish I had one though.

Reactions: Unsustainable

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
From what I remember the first owners opted to buy a series of mats from a catalogue instead of digging into the concrete floor for a proper cooling system, hence why there were so many foggy games.

I went to a game the last season, this was in the afternoon. Heavy thunderstorm rolled in and all you could see was sheets of rain for about 5 minutes. I didn't think much of it but others thought there may have been a Tornado nearby. Looking back at it, I'm surprised the power never went out.

Reactions: Unsustainable

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC

Sorry to break your heart, NotOpie, but that's just their logo, not their mascot. Montgomery's mascot is Big Mo, who is decidedly not a biscuit, but is instead a "biscuit eating beast."

Big-Mo-263x300.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad