OT: Remembering the 48th NHL All-Star Game in Vancouver (January 16th - 18th, 1998)

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
IMJkyoC.png

January 16th:

January 17th:

EventWinnerTeamRecord
Puck Control RelayTeemu SelänneMighty Ducks of Anaheim
Fastest SkaterScott NiedermayerNew Jersey Devils13.560 seconds
Accuracy ShootingRaymond Bourque
[URL='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/48th_National_Hockey_League_All-Star_Game']Peter Forsberg
Brendan Shanahan
[TBODY]
Boston Bruins
Colorado Avalanche
Detroit Red Wings
4 hits on 6 shots
Hardest ShotAl MacInnisSt. Louis Blues100.4 miles per hour
Goaltenders CompetitionDominik HašekBuffalo Sabres3 goals against on 16 shots
[/TBODY]
[/URL]
Viacheslav Fetisov and Igor Larionov talk during the skills competition during NHL All-Star Weekend at General Motors Palace in Vancouver, Canada. Mandatory Credit: Jeff Vinnick /Allsport
jan-1998-viacheslav-fetisov-and-igor-larionov-talk-during-the-skills-picture-id246501

January 18th:

The Game

I'm sorry to say the only existing footage of the All-Star Game on YouTube is a highlight video of the game's Finnish participants. It is in Finnish. Embedding appears to be disabled, insultingly enough.

Selanne receives congratulations from NHL commissioner Gary Bettman after earning MVP honors in the 1998 NHL All-Star Game in Vancouver, British Columbia. Selanne, who had a hat trick for the World team in an 8-7 loss to the North America team, became the first European player to earn MVP honors and the first player from the losing team to win the award since 1986. (Rick Stewart/Getty Images)

Last edited:

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
If there's one thing that could sum up the Vancouver Canucks as a franchise... We hosted the all star game during the year when Mark Messier was named our captain.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
No one repped LA, SJ or the Florida teams.
For a few years the NHL dropped the every-team-represented policy, as the number of teams made it difficult. I was actually kind of surprised when they brought it back. Then for a while they tried to diluet it by making it representation on the All-Star or Young Star teams.

If there's one thing that could sum up the Vancouver Canucks as a franchise... We hosted the all star game during the year when Mark Messier was named our captain.
And he was also the Commissioner's "Special Veteran Selection" in the game, to greatly please the home fans! :laugh:

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
so i didn't see the game but i went to the skills competition day or whatever exactly the non game day event was for that all star game with my brother. i think it was at the pne. anyway, it was his greatest ever moment. we got accosted by two "models" dressed in spandex who the nhl had flown in to add "glamour" for one of the displays. they were from new jersey and used to working car shows and knew nothing about hockey but they thought they recognized my brother from the "party last night" and they came right over to us thinking he was an nhl player. god knows who they thought he was, but he went with it and told them he was steve yzerman and he lived on a farm in saskatchewan. he had both of them following us around for 10 minutes until they went back on shift. he also got their names and room numbers of the hotel where they were staying.

he looks nothing like steve yzerman. i've always wondered who they thought he was. we think roenick because my brother had acne scarring.

we were both freshly married with kids. so no follow up.

/csb

Reactions: Hollywood Burrows

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I remember going to the fan fest before the game and really enjoyed all the festivities. I got a Mark Messier jersey that year with the All-Star patch on it. Was so excited when he was credited with the GWG.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I remember going to the fan fest before the game and really enjoyed all the festivities. I got a Mark Messier jersey that year with the All-Star patch on it. Was so excited when he was credited with the GWG.

That fan festival was insane. Although my biggest memory is how my Dad said it was time to go about ten minutes before Wayne Gretzky was set to arrive to meet fans. I was so choked. And we ran into Mike Keenan in the parking lot on the way out, too.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
That fan festival was insane. Although my biggest memory is how my Dad said it was time to go about ten minutes before Wayne Gretzky was set to arrive to meet fans. I was so choked. And we ran into Mike Keenan in the parking lot on the way out, too.

Damn I would be choked too lol. I remember winning a hat from a slapshot contest, and all the fun game stops they had. I wonder what the fan fest is like before current all-star games.

Hard to believe this was 20 years ago.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
I was a pimply teen then, in the midst of my "hang around the arena and harass the players after practice" phase. I didn't go to the game, but the fan fest owned. I remember standing in a crowd in the PNE showroom watching Mike Keenan answer questions. He made eye contact with me and it was terrifying.

May 31, 2006
25 HHOFers in that game plus Jagr and Alfredsson who will get in. Crazy.
Not to mention a bunch of HHOFers who missed the game due to holdouts/injuries. Fedorov, Yzerman, Kariya off the top of my head.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I was a pimply teen then, in the midst of my "hang around the arena and harass the players after practice" phase. I didn't go to the game, but the fan fest owned. I remember standing in a crowd in the PNE showroom watching Mike Keenan answer questions. He made eye contact with me and it was terrifying.

I spoke to him in the parking lot. I can't remember exactly what I asked, but it was something about Linden/Messier and how I was unhappy with it. I do remember Keenan looking at my Dad and saying "where do they get this stuff?" And my Dad replying "he will always speak his mind".

I'd like to say it was something badass and uppity like "how could you you giant bag of dicks" but it was probably a bit more meek. I was about 14.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad