Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
offthebartoons.substack.com
My tribute image to him when I was doing my JABs:

CAR_Sports_LRG_2278.jpg

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
As a person with depression, I can say that it all helps. Every bit of awareness is a good thing.
I've had minor bouts with it, probably nowhere near as seriously.... I find it very condescending and morally presumptuous, personally, particularly when we're talking about someone who's gone, and all people tend to focus on (maybe not in the early stages of this thread, but just in general) is full-stop "what a big mistake he made and how it can be prevented" head-shaking without knowing anything at all about what the scenario actually is. Seems disrespectful, to me, personally. I understand that's an unpopular opinion.

I feel that suicide is unfortunate and people should be given the support they need if they want it, but ultimately nobody knows what the circumstances were except for Rypien himself-- He's gone on his own accord and that's that. I think we'd be overstepping our boundaries and would be massive ***-holes to pass judgement whether it was some heinous act/mistake on his part that should have been prevented/intervened at all costs, personally. Most people feel otherwise (Bieksa included) and would consider that blasphemy/wrong, but that's how I see it. I can't put my finger on it, but certain attitudes people have towards this subject really bothers me.

Last edited:

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I've had minor bouts with it, probably nowhere near as seriously.... I find it very condescending and morally presumptuous, personally, particularly when we're talking about someone who's gone, and all people tend to focus on (maybe not in the early stages of this thread, but just in general) is full-stop "what a big mistake he made and how it can be prevented" head-shaking without knowing anything at all about what the scenario actually is. Seems disrespectful, to me, personally. I understand that's an unpopular opinion.

I feel that suicide is unfortunate and people should be given the support they need if they want it, but ultimately nobody knows what the circumstances were except for Rypien himself-- He's gone on his own accord and that's that. I think we'd be overstepping our boundaries and would be massive ***-holes to pass judgement whether it was some heinous act/mistake on his part that should have been prevented/intervened at all costs, personally. Most people feel otherwise (Bieksa included) and would consider that blasphemy/wrong, but that's how I see it. I can't put my finger on it, but certain attitudes people have towards this subject really bothers me.

You never know which "you can get help for this" message will be the one that reaches a person who needs it. Most of the famous people that die have family or friends come out and say the same sorts of things being said in this thread. So for that reason I don't see how this sort of thing can be seen as disrespectful.

You claim suicide is a choice, and that isn't really true. There's a reason that having a gun in the house or living in an upper level apartment increases suicide risk. Just the same as being able to stomach pain increases the risk. Suicide attempts are often spontaneous and they happen when risk factors all converge. Any extra little bit of support a person can have when those thoughts hit could help them fight against a disease that is every bit as lethal as AIDS or cancer.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
I don't even care about the fights. It just can't imagine how much effort it would have taken him to get up and go to bat for his team and he did it every time.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
You never know which "you can get help for this" message will be the one that reaches a person who needs it. Most of the famous people that die have family or friends come out and say the same sorts of things being said in this thread. So for that reason I don't see how this sort of thing can be seen as disrespectful.

You claim suicide is a choice, and that isn't really true. There's a reason that having a gun in the house or living in an upper level apartment increases suicide risk. Just the same as being able to stomach pain increases the risk. Suicide attempts are often spontaneous and they happen when risk factors all converge. Any extra little bit of support a person can have when those thoughts hit could help them fight against a disease that is every bit as lethal as AIDS or cancer.
I don't see how famous people deal with it should have any bearing on it-- I feel the same way when celebrities do it.

I feel that the fact they are often spontaneous mistakes is no reason to treat every case as if it must be, and that's the part of it that bugs me. We have no idea what Rypien's pathology was which lead to it and by all accounts, he's battled it for a while and tried all sorts of measures, and still ended up feeling the same way and going through with it. At some point we do have to respect his decision, whether we feel it's a mistake or not ourselves, IMO. Take preventative measures and encourage people who need help to come forth and not make brash decisions, I'm all for, but USING someone's death/suicide as a vehicle to push this, which indirectly implies that their choice is 100% morally wrong regardless of anything, I feel is pretty insulting and disrespectful to him. Again, I feel that it's taking something that at its core is positive way too far. The fact that Bieksa was inspired to promote mindcheck is a very good thing, but I feel it would be wrong/awful to make Rick Rypien the face of the promotion (if he is-- I haven't been following it too closely, but it seems like it).

Our attitudes towards this kind of thing in general just bothers me. But I don't want to derail the thread further.

Last edited:

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver

You really had to bother posting this. Just sad.

Its an illness. Youre not physiologically supposed to feel that much sadness ur only way out isdeath.

hes gone of his own accord

The stigma ur defending is the sign of someone who doesnt really understand the first thing about depression.

Its not ok to kill yourself and as someone whos dealt with the fear of taking pills so you dont wanna kill yourself you can just sit down now thanks.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
You really had to bother posting this. Just sad.

Its an illness. Youre not physiologically supposed to feel that much sadness ur only way out isdeath.

The stigma ur defending is the sign of someone who doesnt really understand the first thing about depression.

Its not ok to kill yourself and as someone whos dealt with the fear of taking pills so you dont wanna kill yourself you can just sit down now thanks.
This is too black and white, IMO. I came to my own conclusions based on my experiences with it as well. I feel that it is very debateable and indefinite/ambiguous, but I'll just concede here rather than let it snowball out of control in a thread that's supposed to be about Rypien.

Last edited:

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Rick Rypien and I are/were both 5'11.

It's humbling to know however that while he could beat the living monkey piss out of guys that were 6'4 220 lbs, I can only beat the crap out of my neighbours cat.

RIP Rick. If my Canucks can play with even half the heart that you had, I'll be very proud of my team.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->