Remembering E-town Bars that are no-more

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
There used to be a rough local bar, more in the tavern style, on the corner of 99th and Whyte. there is now a newer strip mall there with a Mac's an a Liquor Depot.

Can anyone help me out with this bar? It was pretty rough; rougher than H2O.

I used to live 3 blocks from there & drank up & down Whyte Ave. during the early to mid 80's & have no recollection of a tavern of any consequence on that corner & I thought I was very thorough in my drinking.:laugh::laugh:

I do remember an International Stereo outlet, not even sure that chain exists anymore, on that corner where the strip mall is now.

KenLinsemanFanClub

Sorry State
Nov 26, 2003
Isle of Van
I used to live 3 blocks from there & drank up & down Whyte Ave. during the early to mid 80's & have no recollection of a tavern of any consequence on that corner & I thought I was very thorough in my drinking.:laugh::laugh:

I do remember an International Stereo outlet, not even sure that chain exists anymore, on that corner where the strip mall is now.

Didn't they "shop the world for you"?

Reactions: HockeyGuy1964

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Trying to remember that place just North of of the TD on Whyte and 109th. It was in the basement had a couple pool tables under what felt like just an 8 ft ceiling. What a dump, but I spent plenty a Friday there.

Sidetrack was my favorite evening out with the buds kind of bar.
PO was my get really drunk during happy hour and end doing all kinds of stuff I'd regret (but not much) kind of bar.

Memories.
__

Just remembered it was called the Basement. I think we all lost a couple of years on our life from second hand smoke in that place. It's now just a parking lot.

Last edited:

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Union is still around but I believe most of their business is through concerts.

Man that was the place to be on a Saturday night if you were an 18-19 year old from Sherwood Park haha

I remember there was this ridiculous drink special if I think 25 cent hi balls before 9 or 10. I don't think me and my friends ever made it past 1am because of this haha

Cook County was always a good time too. I took my now-wife there on our first visit back from Australia and she was killing herself over the cowboys and line dancing at the start of the night. Was also the first time she saw a mechanical bull

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Gord sure wasn't a lady killer. Edmonton boy though. Went to Shep I believe.

Sidetrack was a great place to hangout. Used to love throwing the paper airplanes.

Lots of Oilers hung out there.

Yeah...I felt for Gord. He deserved better.

Never did get to do the paper airplane thing though...sounds like good fun.
I miss that place.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Anyone remember Kaos in WEM? That place was huge. You'd never see the same girl twice so you had to talk to the hot ones right when you saw them.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned bars like Ezzie's or Cowboy's. They were popular for years.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I'm an 80's early 90's guy. These are places form my time and slightly before.
A couple closed before I could get into them.

Rock City
Limelight
dancing shoes
goose loonies
Franklin's rockies lounge
going to capilano motor Inn
The Rex hotel
going to Rusty's
Greenhouse bar on fort road
Tin lizzies
crackerjacks downtown
remember Scandals?
Flashback
Sidetrack Café
Boiler room

lots more that I can't remember.
oh the Sidetrack. Man, do I ever miss that place

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Older Bars? Then mentions places like H2O. 90's bars, Rough bars?!

You younger guppies ain't seen nothing.

Try oldtime places like the Klondiker, Saxony, Commercial, Cromdale, Yellowhead, Highway Motor Inn, Forum Inn, Ambassador, Corona, Vega on for size.

Whyte Ave as well used to be a different place as well before the 80's hit. It was far greasier and lots of Al Bundy type bars. nod. wink.[/QUOT

Yeah the Diker and the Cromdale were about as rough as they get. never went the Diker, but drank at the Crom a few times.

so, no one remembers that bar on 99th and Whyte, eh? maybe it wasn't there for long.

Reactions: gordonhught

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
rock city

Used to think the Rock City power drinker shirts were so cool

Is the yardbird suite still a jazz club?
Rock city and the limelight , the sunday night party bars in the 80's redroom convention inn south (now Delta ) in the basement back side was always full , cops had it shut down . Only other bar shutdown by cops was Windmill in millwods .

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

maybe the bar im talking about didn't last long enough to make an impression, but it diffinitely was there because I had a beer there in about... wanna say 1990 or 91.

any one spend any time at Rock Central, at the old Kingsway Hotel? great bar for after bar parties.

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
Rebar was the first night club I hit up circa 95 it was the first time I saw black lights and it was a crazy dance floor walking in, place was packed.
I had my fake I.D , my name was Sam McGee....

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Goose Loonies was the BEST !!
Barry T's
Greenhouse
Denny Andrews (saw many a drunk Oiler here)
Sidetrack
The Rev
Club Malibu
The Blowout (Leduc)
Rusty's

Anyone remember the name of the nightclub at West Ed. 2 stories (not Reds)
Also, there was a club in the Hotel on 75th & Argyll.
Another one on 50th street where Kings college is now.

Geesh, I'm starting to think I had some fun back in the day...haha...

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Also, there was a club in the Hotel on 75th & Argyll.
Another one on 50th street where Kings college is now.

Geesh, I'm starting to think I had some fun back in the day...haha...

The bar that used to be at the Kings College location was the Capilano Motor Inn. I remember it well...that was the establishment where I had my first underage beer. :D
We were there a lot for a few years. Got there one time early enough to see the staff turn the terry cloth table cloths over so they looked cleaner. :laugh:

As for the pub on 75th and Argyll...IIRC that might have been the Regency. :dunno:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The bar that used to be at the Kings College location was the Capilano Motor Inn. I remember it well...that was the establishment where I had my first underage beer. :D
We were there a lot for a few years. Got there one time early enough to see the staff turn the terry cloth table cloths over so they looked cleaner. :laugh:

As for the pub on 75th and Argyll...IIRC that might have been the Regency. :dunno:
The Regency was a peeler bar in that hotel back in the 80’s. I saw Marilyn Chambers dance there and was turned off when she told the crowd she was 36. No old ladies for me, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: guymez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad