Remember when everyone was so upset with not drafting Tyler Myers?

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I dont understand why you feel the need to talk down to me. Kings history lessons and sarcasm is unneccessary, espescially when you fail to graso what im saying. I said we need first rounders in order to generate impact players and have sustained success due to the inability to sign our impact players down the line. Youare purposely twisting two points. Nobody said it should take two years. Its been at least two and we have more time but we need our picks.

I'm not talking down to you, I'm trying to help you grasp what I am talking about. We do need 1st rounders, I agree, but it isn't the end all, be all, of the draft. For every Kopitar and Brown, we have a Voynov and Quick, guys picked outside the 1st round. In fact, we've arguably been more successful with our 2nd round selections under DL than our 1sts.

Additionally, we've had seven 1st round selections under DL, if you count the 2006 draft, which he was hired slightly before. We are without the next one due to the Carter deal, that's all.

And why would we have an inability to resign our impact layers down the road? DL's greatest strength IMO has been his contracts. Outside of Doughty's contract, he's recived a very strong bang for the buck on all his contract extensions and hasn't failed to resign anyone outside of Cammalleri. Considering what Cammy was seeking, that was no big loss.

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
I'm not talking down to you, I'm trying to help you grasp what I am talking about. We do need 1st rounders, I agree, but it isn't the end all, be all, of the draft. For every Kopitar and Brown, we have a Voynov and Quick, guys picked outside the 1st round. In fact, we've arguably been more successful with our 2nd round selections under DL than our 1sts.

Additionally, we've had seven 1st round selections under DL, if you count the 2006 draft, which he was hired slightly before. We are without the next one due to the Carter deal, that's all.

And why would we have an inability to resign our impact layers down the road? DL's greatest strength IMO has been his contracts. Outside of Doughty's contract, he's recived a very strong bang for the buck on all his contract extensions and hasn't failed to resign anyone outside of Cammalleri. Considering what Cammy was seeking, that was no big loss.

Do you really believe that the Kings will be able to have enough cash to get equal players in Scuderi and Mitchell, replace Stoll, Penner, Gagne and give Dustin Brown what is going to have to be a huge raise? Some will be easier to replace than others and we have some guys in our system that will help but other teams will be improving and the Kings are going to be lucky to stay as good as they are now in two years if there isn't an impact replacement coming up. Your point about the second rounders being great value is well spoken, but that's what stirred this. Me saying we need our picks in this draft. They say the second round will be as good as the first last year.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Do you really believe that the Kings will be able to have enough cash to get equal players in Scuderi and Mitchell, replace Stoll, Penner, Gagne and give Dustin Brown what is going to have to be a huge raise? Some will be easier to replace than others and we have some guys in our system that will help but other teams will be improving and the Kings are going to be lucky to stay as good as they are now in two years if there isn't an impact replacement coming up. Your point about the second rounders being great value is well spoken, but that's what stirred this. Me saying we need our picks in this draft. They say the second round will be as good as the first last year.

We don't have to replace Mitchell next year as he's signed, same as Stoll. As for Scuds, Penner and Gagne, we'll have more than enough cash. Scuds replacement likely won't cost much more than Scuds does now, and we could replace Penner with a bag of peanuts right now and get the same production. Outside of the playoffs, he's been a brutal addition to the team and would easily be replaced. Honestly, I could see us replacing Gagne and Penner from within if Vey and one of Toffoli or Pearson are ready to make the jump. On those two positions, the Kings could conceivably save money.

Brown will be the big test, but I think he could take a discount similar to what Quick did to stay in LA. But time will tell on that.

And as I said, we've had seven firsts since 2006. After this draft we'll have all our picks going forward as well, and it's not like we have nothing in the system. We can afford to miss a 1st and still carry on, look at Detroit for so many years.

T2M

Jan 28, 2004
We can afford to miss a 1st and still carry on, look at Detroit for so many years.

This is the big point in what you said. Also, look at how long it takes a draft pick to crack Detroit's roster. We are now going through the same thing. Everybody pays their dues. It's a nice adjustment to be making.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad