Remember This Name !! Alexander Salak (Viking Cup)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nielson81

Feb 28, 2002
www.hockeysfutureradio.com
Hey Guys,

I just got home from Broadcasting a game at the Viking Cup.

Actually a great game that went to triple overtime with the U17 Czechs beating the U18 Switzerland squad 3-2.

Story of the game was Czech goalie Alexander Salak. Made 69 saves including many of the jaw dropping variety.

Also the Czechs have a couple of very good 15 year in olds. Both of them are forwards Jiri Tlusty (scored once tonight) and Michal Frolik.

The Swiss team has 8 of the top 18 2004 eligble from that country playing. Julien Sprunger, you will here is name very soon, and Julian Walker both stood out.

Check out the Viking Cup at www.vikingcup.com

Unbiased Canadian

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
I was listening to your broadcast for a while and I enjoyed it. Sounded like quite a game. Keep up the good work.

As for the tournament itself, I haven't really followed it in the past but I'm surprised that the organizers would allow a team like the US junior select team to play in this. They're basically an U20 team with a fairly strong roster (they'd probably put up more of a fight in the WJC right now than Austria or Ukraine are IMO). It doesn't really seem fair for most of the other teams as they are mostly U18.

Nielson81

Feb 28, 2002
You bring up a good point about the U20 All Star team the US brought from their Junior leagues.

I will be shocked if the USA and the hosting Augustana Vikings don't meet in the final. The only team that may be able to compete with those two is a strong finnish team which has a couple of top prospects playing, including 15 year old Jesse Joensuu.

The tournament is much more exciting then I first expected and the number of scouts at these games are unbelievable. At least 100 scouts in Wetaskiwin last night and it is always more in Camrose.

Unbiased Canadian

Steelerman

Dec 19, 2002
Manitoba
Visit site
Just wondering Unbiased Canadian since you're seeing the games there, is it fair (or even dangerous) to have overaged players (Augustana) against young players (in some cases 15 year olds as you indicated)? It doesn't seem right to me, but maybe you can tell me from what you've seen in the past and this year...

Korkki

Mar 6, 2002
Pori, Finland
Unbiased Canadian said:
I will be shocked if the USA and the hosting Augustana Vikings don't meet in the final. The only team that may be able to compete with those two is a strong finnish team which has a couple of top prospects playing, including 15 year old Jesse Joensuu.
Jesse is 16 now (Oct 5th 1987). But how has he and the Finns played overall?

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
Steelerman said:
Just wondering Unbiased Canadian since you're seeing the games there, is it fair (or even dangerous) to have overaged players (Augustana) against young players (in some cases 15 year olds as you indicated)? It doesn't seem right to me, but maybe you can tell me from what you've seen in the past and this year...

Jr.B leagues all over Canada have it that way. In BC they passed a rule that the 21 was the oldest you could be, sometimes theres 14 yr olds playing 21yr olds. Jr.A is like that too. Although I do kind of agree with you.

Nielson81

Feb 28, 2002
Steelerman said:

Well like Fedz said above, 15 year olds play against 20 and 21 year olds in junior hockey all across Canada. So far it hasn't looked to bad, except ofcourse on the score board where the Augustana Vikings beat Norway 13-3 and the USA beat Germany 10-1.

Only one scary incident in the tournament so far. a couple minutes into the opening game one of the players on the VIkings got five and a game for slashing one of the young Norwegians. But a slash is a slash no matter who it comes from I guess.

Thanks for the interest in the tournament guys. I think it may the most underrated tournament out there.

Unbiased Canadian

Nielson81

Feb 28, 2002
Korkki said:
Jesse is 16 now (Oct 5th 1987). But how has he and the Finns played overall?

Ahh thanks for correcting me, I forgot he was a late 87 birth. The Finns are probbaly the top European team at the tournament so far, Joensuu was on the ice to start there first game but was held off the score sheet. Teemu Laakso, a defenseman, looked really good and even chipped in with a pair of goals.

Personally I would love to see the Finns knock off Augustana or the US.

Unbiased Canadian

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Greatest Tourny out there :D

I'm really pulling for the Finns (but I always do) they had a pretty good one against the Czechs a couple days ago that I caught, I haven't been able to come to any others yet though, what's the playoff sked like? I guess I could just check out the site :D

Nielson81

Feb 28, 2002
kruezer said:
Greatest Tourny out there :D

I'm really pulling for the Finns (but I always do) they had a pretty good one against the Czechs a couple days ago that I caught, I haven't been able to come to any others yet though, what's the playoff sked like? I guess I could just check out the site :D

4 quarter finals on Friday, semi's on Saturday, and Bronze and gold on Sunday.

Unbiased Canadian

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
Two things confuse me about this tournament, particularly since the Junior A leagues all pulled out this year. Why would the European U17's and 18's want to play Augustana with an average age that has to be closer to 22 or 23 than U-17 or U-18? and, who comes from the European teams when some or all of them have teams playing at the World U-17 in St. John's right now?

If this tournament is really a bunch of post-Junior players taking on the second stringers from a bunch of other places, with few real "prospects" around, does anyone really care about it anymore?

Nielson81

Feb 28, 2002
gb701 said:
Two things confuse me about this tournament, particularly since the Junior A leagues all pulled out this year. Why would the European U17's and 18's want to play Augustana with an average age that has to be closer to 22 or 23 than U-17 or U-18? and, who comes from the European teams when some or all of them have teams playing at the World U-17 in St. John's right now?

If this tournament is really a bunch of post-Junior players taking on the second stringers from a bunch of other places, with few real "prospects" around, does anyone really care about it anymore?

I know the scouts care about it, in some cases more then the WJC, as while there may only be 20 draft eligible prospects at the WJC, there are way more at the viking cup.

There are loads of scouts in the stands for every game.

And as for the Vikings, they were outshot and and outplayed by the Swiss U18 team but caem away with a 5-3 win. It should be interesting see how the 15-16 year old Czechs do against the Vikings.

Unbiased Canadian

Steelerman

Dec 19, 2002
Manitoba
Visit site
Thanks for the update, Unbiased Canadian. I remember Brandon Boon playing for the Steelers last year and was caught by surprise to see him playing for Augustana, especially since he's 21 now (still Jr. B eligible, as mentioned).

I'll be paying close attention to the results since it appears that many of the European teams are sending some quality players over. It's going to be an experience for them that could help them prepare for the WJC in Grand Forks next year or in Canada in 2006.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Meyer the Duck's scout was very disappointed in the quality of the players at this tourney. They are very few top 3 round prospects in attendance according to Meyer.

He skipped the World Juniors to attend the Viking Cup and seemed disappointed in his choice.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
slats432 said:
Meyer the Duck's scout was very disappointed in the quality of the players at this tourney. They are very few top 3 round prospects in attendance according to Meyer.

He skipped the World Juniors to attend the Viking Cup and seemed disappointed in his choice.
Well I think its always like that (unless the players are very young and for much more distant future drafts) I mean naturally the best go to WJC, but if late round picks make and break your club, these are the kind of tourny's you need to see IMO anyway, but I'm no scout, though I like to act like it.

Nielson81

Feb 28, 2002
Just a quick update for those who have been trying to follow the Viking Cup.

Last night the Czech u17 team upset the host vikings squad. On average the Vikins are 6 years older then the Czech's and that is why it was huge upset especially since 3 of the top Czechs are only 15!!!

If you live in the Edmonon area get out and watch the Czech's by far the most skilled team I have saw in Alberta this year, and I have announced over 50 AJHL and ACAC games. The 15 and 16 year olds from the Czech's are outstanding.

Unbiased Canadian

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Unbiased Canadian said:
Just a quick update for those who have been trying to follow the Viking Cup.

Last night the Czech u17 team upset the host vikings squad. On average the Vikins are 6 years older then the Czech's and that is why it was huge upset especially since 3 of the top Czechs are only 15!!!

If you live in the Edmonon area get out and watch the Czech's by far the most skilled team I have saw in Alberta this year, and I have announced over 50 AJHL and ACAC games. The 15 and 16 year olds from the Czech's are outstanding.

Unbiased Canadian
Hey I saw this game as well and can completely agree, these guys are just amazing. And the Vikings must be really embarrased now :D. Naw, those Czechs are EXTREMELY talented.

Ego

Mar 15, 2002
Slovakia
Visit site
Unbiased Canadian said:
Story of the game was Czech goalie Alexander Salak. Made 69 saves including many of the jaw dropping variety.

Hi, is he still so small? I saw him last zear and he was great, too. Very fast.
How do you like team Slovakia? They have beaten Vikings in quarterfinals.

derbyfan

Nov 23, 2002
Visit site
Unbiased Canadian -

Thanks for the reports! Just wondering how impressed you have been with the Americans. Since you say you've broadcast lots of AJHL games, I was wondering how you think an AJHL all-star team would stack up against the U.S. (who are almost entirely from the USHL).

I'm VERY disappointed the Canadian junior "A" leagues didn't send teams this year - hope they bring them back next time.

Nielson81

Feb 28, 2002
derbyfan said:
Unbiased Canadian -

Thanks for the reports! Just wondering how impressed you have been with the Americans. Since you say you've broadcast lots of AJHL games, I was wondering how you think an AJHL all-star team would stack up against the U.S. (who are almost entirely from the USHL).

I'm VERY disappointed the Canadian junior "A" leagues didn't send teams this year - hope they bring them back next time.

There is no doubt in my mind that an AJHL all-star team would be just an impressive as the States if not better.

BTW, Finland knocked of the Czech's in the semi's this afternoon, will mos tlikely play U.S. in the final Sunday night.

Unbiased Canadian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->