Speculation: remember the kings?

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Not to get ahead of ourselves, but do you all remember the kings? Finished in 8th place, had a bunch of injuries... got everyone back from injury going into the playoffs and then dominated for a Stanley Cup.

Imagine if you will, Cowen, Michalek, Spezza and Karlsson back.

source

Jul 13, 2008
Not to be a dick, but I think we're most similar to the 2012 Senators.

SevenOfSpades

Dec 9, 2010
The Kings got hot in the second half of the season. We're cooling down.

Also they have black jerseys, and we have red jerseys. Completely different circumstances. ;)

DylanSensFan

Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
The Kings also serially underachieved in the first half and acquired a big name that sparked them to make a run post-trade deadline.

Nice try.

They underachieved due to injury... and while the trade was a good one, they also had a healthy team going into the playoffs. It was a perfect storm.

Ottawa 2012 does not have the depth of Ottawa 2013. If Spezza, Michalek and Cowen were the only ones to return... imagine how much pressure that removes from Turris, Alfredsson, Latendresse... Silf, Zib and Conacher.

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
They underachieved due to injury... and while the trade was a good one, they also had a healthy team going into the playoffs. It was a perfect storm.

Ottawa 2012 does not have the depth of Ottawa 2013. If Spezza, Michalek and Cowen were the only ones to return... imagine how much pressure that removes from Turris, Alfredsson, Latendresse... Silf, Zib and Conacher.

I don't recall L.A. having to many injuries, especially none of the high end variety.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I was in Australia back then but I clearly remember the Jeff Carter trade really sparking the Kings and they went on a tear that extended into the playoffs

I don't think Conacher is going to have the same kind of effect

We could still turn things on and get into the playoffs very hot however, it just doesn't look likely at the moment

Still though, the team played a much better game in Florida than they did in Buffalo so there's hope

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I don't recall L.A. having to many injuries, especially none of the high end variety.

A decent amount of one-off injuries, but only two long-term: Gagne (48 regular season games, 16 playoff games) and Parse (67 regular season, 20 playoff.) Otherwise, they had 12 games without Penner, 10 without Martinez, 8 without Richards, 6 without Mitchell, 5 without Carter and Doughty, and four without Stoll and Voynov.

I'd hardly say their early season was derailed by injury.

DylanSensFan

Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Oh, I am sorry... I just live in the west and recall all the media talking about the "Cinderella story, that was the kings." Sportsnet, TSN and even the team themselves were talking about injuries as being a factor in their poor start.

A new coach, plus a trade could definitely spark a team... I mean how could it not. The pretentiousness in this thread is ridiculous.

I was trying to spark a little positive energy and all I get is pessimism. Very telling of our fan base and very usual.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
Speaking of the Kings, I'm really glad that I'm not a Flyers fan. If I had been one at any point I'd probably be a Kings fan now.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Have you looked at the standings lately. Unless they find a way to turn things around, the next couple of games could easily drop this team into a precarious playoff position. The last 4 zero-point losses and the way they happened has changed the prognosis dramatically.

When we might expect our non-rookie 23-26 year old guys to get stronger offensively as the season progresses they have been largely invisible on the score sheet. The pp sucks and is way too predictable passing up chance after chance to shoot waiting for the perfect play that never comes. The goalies were making the crucial saves and were rarely allowing the late go-ahead goal until we got one but that doesn't happen now. Whether it's Bishop, Lehner or Andy they all allowed the soft energy- deflating go-ahead or insurance goal. It seemed to me that Lehner lost some confidence when he was badly beaten in 2 shootout games.

Talking playoffs and any comparisons are a bit premature.

btw) For me the key guys would be Spezza and Karllson. The way things are right now they may come back too late (if at all) to make a difference.

Last edited:

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
The Kings got hot in the second half of the season. We're cooling down.

Also they have black jerseys, and we have red jerseys. Completely different circumstances. ;)

Came here to say the first thing. And to the second, have you seen our heritage jerseys?

Karlsson is not coming back this year, skating or not. Spezza and Cowen are iffy at best. Even if they are ready, its not a good idea to bring a guy who has missed the entire season (or almost all of it) back in the intensity of the playoffs.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
I don't think so.

Its would be amazing to see the Sens make the playoffs with all the crap they've had to deal with this season. But they ain't beating Pittsburgh. (well, I wouldn't put money on it anyways).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad