Remember the 1988 Blackout?

Al Bundy*

Today, I was watching the Classic Series of the 1988 Cup Finals, and it mentioned a game in Boston where the lights went out.

Any of you guys remember that?

Ogopogo*

Today, I was watching the Classic Series of the 1988 Cup Finals, and it mentioned a game in Boston where the lights went out.

Any of you guys remember that?

Yes.

A dude I went to highschool with (he was older than me) scored his first NHL goal in that game - Greg Hawgood. NHL rules, as dumb as they are, said that the game is wiped from the record but the individual statistics count. How does that makes sense?

Our PE teacher said to him, when he came back to the school for a visit "You're a trivia question. Who scored his first NHL goal in a game that didn't exist?"

brianscot

Jan 1, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
Actually the lights went out on the bruin's much earlier in that series.

Nice accomplishment to get there (especially in ending the Montreal curse) but they
were way overmatched by Gretzky's last Edmonton championship team.

The lights also went out briefly during game one of the 1990 finals between the same two teams.

This time, however, it was due to the fact that the game went 3 ot's before Petr Klima (who had played like 5 minutes the whole game) ended it.

The old Boston Garden gets romanticized, but the joint was a disaster.

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
That game is most memorable because it is the last tie in the playoffs, although I guess it is not considered official. The stats do count, so Hawgood's goal is in the books.

What's remembered less because it did not cause postponement of the game was that the 3 OT game between Boston and Edmonton in game 1 of the 1990 SCF ALSO had the lights go out for a bit, but power was restored in time for Petr Klima to break some hearts....

Since I was very young and naive at the time of the 1988 game, I was hoping the Bruins would win three straight because the blackout caused game 7 to be rescheduled for Boston, if necessary. Yeah, right...like that was ever gonna happen with that Oiler machine...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad