Remember? (Random Bruins Related Junk)

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Absolutely was booed.

Kiley HATED hockey and basketball, baseball he did enjoy - and he sulked when he had to play boom boom music. For years he spent the periods drinking coffee and talking to the guys at the concession stand in the east lobby.

Kiley's record album that came out in the late '60s is the soundtrack of Bruins intermissions and Fenway rain delays.

He was infamous for playing the anthem in less than a minute.

Thanks Fenway! My memory is better than I thought. :laugh:

Reactions: Fenway

aguineapig

Louis Sleigher yeah! The B's struggled at the start of 1984 season and Harry dealt quickly first sending a first to LAKings for Charlie Simmer then same day Gil Santos on the wbz radio sports updates on every 15 and 45 of the hour announcing Luc Dufour to the Nordiques for you!

Reactions: LouisSleigher

LouisSleigher

Jul 6, 2013
SW Ohio
Louis Sleigher yeah! The B's struggled at the start of 1984 season and Harry dealt quickly first sending a first to LAKings for Charlie Simmer then same day Gil Santos on the wbz radio sports updates on every 15 and 45 of the hour announcing Luc Dufour to the Nordiques for you!
The Nordiques no doubt recalled that it was Dufour who scored the goal that eliminated them from the playoffs in 1983. Dufour now plays for the Nordiques alumni team.

Sleigher was hated by the Habs because he essentially ended the career of defenseman Jean Hamel in the infamous Good Friday Massacre of 1984.

Reactions: sarge88

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Kind of like Bergeron and Marchand do now? :laugh:

I can't remember, but was Neely good when he didn't play with Oates? Was he OK with Janney and guys like Courtnall, O'Dwyer, etc? Seems like he might have been ok?

I think he did well regardless, though of course "Oates to Neely!" made the greatest music. Adam, like Chara & Bergeron, made everyone he played with better.

aguineapig

Louis was built along the lines of Acciari and hit just like him. Was one of the Baby Bulls of Birmimgham WHA who signed a bunch of underage teens to Pro contracts. Suffered a freak groin injury jumping over the boards and his career was ended early. He had one of the classic handlebar mustaches of the day Google him and Dave Babych sometime

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
He was good with Janney, very good with Linseman. Janney looked for him more than Kenny, Linseman liked to dish to his left on rushes, Courtnall benefitted greatly from this.
I know. He was pretty much great with everyone. I should have used the :sarcasm:

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Louis was built along the lines of Acciari and hit just like him. Was one of the Baby Bulls of Birmimgham WHA who signed a bunch of underage teens to Pro contracts. Suffered a freak groin injury jumping over the boards and his career was ended early. He had one of the classic handlebar mustaches of the day Google him and Dave Babych sometime
Caught his skate in Nevin Markwart's jersey on a change and wound up with that groin issue that ended his career. Really liked Louis.

Markwart was indestructible for a few seasons until he blew out his shoulder fighting Jay Wells in L.A. After that he was hurt more than he was healthy.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
When the Bruins almost moved to Salem, New Hampshire

18:04 - Brian McFarlane interviews former Bruin Johnny Peirson 20:45 - Dave Hodge interviews Bruin GM Harry Sinden (both about the possible move)

Reactions: BMC

aguineapig

After reading this board for almost 20 years I saw this thread and asked my son if he could show the old man how to do this post thing because after 50 ish years of all things Bruin yes I remember. I wrote a lot about the good old days,but before this thread fades away I will finish with some of the darkest. The knees of course what with Bobby's woes and the what might have beens. Ron Harris rolling Espo in 73 playoffs. Gord Kluzak submarined in pre season in Portland ME by Dave {yes him} Lewis which i saw live. Ted Green wrapped up like mummy in hospital not sure if he would ever recover and seeing him behind the bench in 70 with tears in eyes as they handed him the Cup. Derek's unsuccessful return from WHA his demons which i know of all too well defeating him at the time. The tragic loss of Kim Radley a fellow Mainer in the senseless Craig MacTavish crash.The helpless feeling in the stomach watching Patrice Bergeron lying motionless,the frozen silence and not being able to do a damn thing about it. A gray, dreary October Sunday spent spinning the radio dial trying to get any update on Normand. But the page must be turned and new chapters written in the history books of our beloved Bruins. A new sheet of ice and 60 new minutes, and so we watch to add new words to the pages as clean as the fresh ice. Anyways thanks for listening to an old man's ramblings, not sure how many posts I have left. So in the words of the immortal Red Green, "Hang in there, we're all in this together and don't forget to keep your stick on the ice!

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
When the Jets were around the first time remember that banner of Queen Elizabeth in the rink? That was unique.
Always thought Morris Lukowich would look great on the Bruins until we got him.And he wasn't.But if Oskar turns out to be half the player of Tomas Steen we got a player on our hands.

They're related??

Brad3277

Jul 13, 2004
West Hartford
Some random guys I remember for random reasons.

Mark Mowers - some anger lives forever
Wade Redden - his playoff stint
Johnathan Aitkin - that worked out well
Pat Leahy - remember a lot of people getting amped about him
Stephane Yelle - why
Ivan Huml - thought be would be a player
Andy Hilbert - thought he would be a player too
Todd Elik - I remember Oates saying in an interview that Elik was one of the best LWs he'd ever played with. ?
Shaone Morrisonn - ended up having a decent playing career with the Caps after the Gonchar trade
Dave Reid - good hardworking player who won a SC with the Avs along with Ray
Rick Zombo - did he skate weird or am I remembering it wrong?
Joe Murphy - another why
Joel Prpic - 6'7" - can't teach size...wait wrong sport

Reactions: Si Hopkins and BMC

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

Stephane Yelle - why
Todd Elik - I remember Oates saying in an interview that Elik was one of the best LWs he'd ever played with. ?
Shaone Morrisonn - ended up having a decent playing career with the Caps after the Gonchar trade
Joe Murphy - another why

I was pumped about him because his dad works with a friend of mine and it killed him when Pat came here, dad's a huge habs fan

Joe Murphy was Harry being cheap hoping to get something out of him. Typical Sinden, name casual fan probably knew so he signed him cheap

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

Stephane Yelle - why
Joe Murphy - another why

Mowers just personified the Dave Lewis era Bruins. Bland, mediocre. Had some decent energy, but talent wasn't there, especially at that point.
Redden was surprisingly not that bad considering he'd been buried in the AHL for a couple seasons up to then. Ended up playing a few playoff games and doing the job too IIRC.
Stephane Yelle was fine as a 4th line center on that 09 team, but I remember being perplexed by the signing too.
Ivan Huml started out red hot, I think he had a few goals early in the 02-03 season and we started thinking he'd be a top 9 winger. But it just completely stopped shortly thereafter and he was never seen again.
Hilbert had a higher ceiling than Huml, but he never looked like he was going to put it together. A lot of hype for a guy who never showed anything. Though he had a few good years on Long Island after we ditched him.
Morrisson was supposed to be a rock of a defensive defenseman. Maybe didn't turn out like that, but was decent. I hated that we gave him up in the Gonchar/Nylander deal, but you have to give to get...

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
When the Bruins almost moved to Salem, New Hampshire

18:04 - Brian McFarlane interviews former Bruin Johnny Peirson 20:45 - Dave Hodge interviews Bruin GM Harry Sinden (both about the possible move)

I can't stress how close this came to happening. In the end the NH lawmakers were leery of Jacobs and Paul Mooney and it lost by ONE vote in the state legislature.

The team might have flourished in NH as many suburban fans would have welcomed not dealing with the drive into Boston but for fans south of Boston it would have been a nightmare. But the what ifs go much deeper.

The Celtics flat out said they had zero interest in moving to NH and they might have explored building their own arena in Boston. Then things would have gotten interesting - How could the Beanpot be played in NEW HAMPSHIRE???? Then one could assume the Whalers would explore a partnership with the Celtics as remember they were involved with Prism (today NBC Sports Boston ) and this is when the NHL did not have strong leadership.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I also remember the Bruins’ uniform change before the ‘95-‘96 season as they opened a drab building in strange threads.

I liked the change at first, because I was young and foolish. By the way, the Islanders’ fish-sticks uniform debuted the same day. A 4-4 tie if I remember correctly. Neely with a hat trick. I eventually soured on the new uniforms.

In those “FleetCenter” uniforms - from 1995-96 until 2006-07, the Bruins made the playoffs six times in eleven seasons, and won ONE playoff series - against Carolina in 1999.

A drab and forgettable era, indeed.

Reactions: sooshii

Brad3277

Jul 13, 2004
West Hartford
Mowers just personified the Dave Lewis era Bruins. Bland, mediocre. Had some decent energy, but talent wasn't there, especially at that point.
Redden was surprisingly not that bad considering he'd been buried in the AHL for a couple seasons up to then. Ended up playing a few playoff games and doing the job too IIRC.
Stephane Yelle was fine as a 4th line center on that 09 team, but I remember being perplexed by the signing too.
Ivan Huml started out red hot, I think he had a few goals early in the 02-03 season and we started thinking he'd be a top 9 winger. But it just completely stopped shortly thereafter and he was never seen again.
Hilbert had a higher ceiling than Huml, but he never looked like he was going to put it together. A lot of hype for a guy who never showed anything. Though he had a few good years on Long Island after we ditched him.
Morrisson was supposed to be a rock of a defensive defenseman. Maybe didn't turn out like that, but was decent. I hated that we gave him up in the Gonchar/Nylander deal, but you have to give to get...

That's a kinder description of Mowers than I would give.

Hilbert and Bates both went to LI and had moderate success.

Gonchar and Nylander trade would feel different if we won that series after being up 3-1.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
That's a kinder description of Mowers than I would give.

Hilbert and Bates both went to LI and had moderate success.

Gonchar and Nylander trade would feel different if we won that series after being up 3-1.
Mark Mowers was one of many gifts given to us by Dave Lewis. The guy hated fighting and hitting even more than "Sully" (snicker) did making it the hardest season to watch in Bruins history.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
The check that helped usher in the Big, Bad Bruins - The Boston Globe

Long ago, in April 50 years ago to be precise, their paths also crossed in Round 1. It was a series turned infamous at 18:03 of the second period when Pat Quinn, then a truculent 26-year-old rookie defenseman for the Leafs, crushed 21-year-old phenom Bobby Orr with a menacing check along the boards in Boston’s end.

Orr, the most exciting player the sport had seen, was in the initial strides of winding into one of his patented, breathtaking rushes up the right side. Quinn eyed him from a couple of steps inside the blue line and closed on Orr, who momentarily dropped his head to recollect the puck.

The play, immediately whistled as a five-minute elbowing major, knocked Orr cold. Teammate Ken Hodge, first on the scene with Orr flat on his back, gently tucked one of his gloves under Orr’s head to keep it propped.

Some 15,000 fans inside the Garden, near silent over the gruesome scene, triggered to full-on crazy when Orr finally showed signs of consciousness. Lumbering to the penalty box, Quinn ducked a fan’s hurled shoe, was doused with drinks upon entry, and then came under further attack as fans clawed to scale the glass in an attempt to seek revenge.

Before the night’s pasting was finished, ex-Bruins forward Forbes Kennedy went full-goose looney, including a stick-swinging affair with Bruins goaltender Gerry Cheevers. Benches emptied (standard fare at the time) and even mild-mannered backup goalie Eddie Johnston mixed it up with Kennedy. Ultimately, the crazed Leafs forward was pummeled into submission by Johnny “Pie” McKenzie and was led off the ice, never again to play in the NHL. His antics included taking a swipe at one of the on-ice officials.

They were tough. They were characters. They were talented. They went on to win the Cup twice over the next three years. And though they didn’t have Quinn or the Leafs to thank, per se, it was that series, and the rally around Orr the wunderkind, that provided the Bruins with their greatest growth spurt in that era.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad