Remember? (Random Bruins Related Junk)

MrKabukiman

Ne pas plonger!
Nov 12, 2007
Mass.
Busy writing a research paper and I stumbled on this thread during a break.

When I read the title the first thing that popped into my head was a random name from the dark days of the mid 90s (hey, its 1am). Trent McCleary. More famous for almost dying than anything else he did on the ice.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Busy writing a research paper and I stumbled on this thread during a break.

When I read the title the first thing that popped into my head was a random name from the dark days of the mid 90s (hey, its 1am). Trent McCleary. More famous for almost dying than anything else he did on the ice.

So many players past. I'll consult wikki. Go to bed.

aguineapig

Called Guy Mainella one time on WBZ Calling All Sports and blasting Harry for not signing Don Larway that years 1st round pick. He went to Houston WHA instead and i said Harry probably would'nt throw in a box of crackerjacks to lose the kid. Now i can only think at the next break Guy yelling over to his screener Who was that kid, what did you let him on and who the hell is Don Larway?

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I vaguely remember Sports Beat.

Was it on 38?

Bunch of Boston writers including CHB. Sort of like ESPN’s The Sports Reporters.

It was a big deal when my mom got my dad NESN for Christmas one year.

I HATED that my dad would watch SportsDesk. The graphics and hilights were all grainy and lame. I’d immediately change it to SportsCenter after he’d leave for work.

Remember Fan Attic on NESN?

Remember during the ‘94 lockout, NESN showing hilights of the ‘69-70 season?

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
OT: "The Lachness Monster" became "Let 'em In Lacher." Throw him away, not interesting anymore. Next!

And Thornton should be "stripped of his captaincy." Not because he had a poor series, but because he wouldn't meet with prick media types like KPD. How dare he?

I always hated DuPont. Still do.

Pure curiosity, what is it about Dupont that you don't like?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The term K-Mart of arenas has been used to describe the FleetCenter.

Argument I’ve heard is that JJ went very basic because there was no public funding used.

He also cut back when the building went over budget - He fired Larry Mouter because of that.

There were outside ticket windows on the Nashua Street side they were never used and I believe the original plans were to have a second entrance on that side. They also eliminated the express elevator to Level 9.

But now with the renovations, it is as nice as any barn in the NHL except the newer rinks in Pittsburgh, Edmonton and Detroit.

Jacobs has 50 plus years left on the garage lease with the MBTA and as long as the roof is structurally sound he can gut the inside every 25 years or so.

The Celtics have zero interest in building a new building primarily because there is NO LAND left anywhere near downtown and transit. The Celtics get free rent and now complete control of venue advertising during a game and they have first dibs on their traditional Wednesday and Friday night dates.

The Celtics owners are looking at how much Golden State's new arena in San Francisco is costing as that city is just as land challenged as Boston. The San Jose Sharks were invited to be partners in it but declined so the new building is not designed for a NHL team.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...d-arena/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.be743c6a8d33

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

Was it on 38?

Bunch of Boston writers including CHB. Sort of like ESPN’s The Sports Reporters.

I HATED that my dad would watch SportsDesk. The graphics and hilights were all grainy and lame. I’d immediately change it to SportsCenter after he’d leave for work.

I loved "Sports Beat" but I don't think it ever had a regular time slot- IIRC 38 would air it during Sox rain delays or if a Bs game ended before it was time for the next show to come on.

Sports Desk is still lame.

Reactions: smithformeragent

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I didn't get to the Boston.com board until 2005 and was a regular until 07 or so when it mostly died. It was pretty crazy. I remember people complaining wildly about HFboards as a place for snobs. I think back then you had to ask to be let in to HFboards?

HF has never been by invitation.

It has always had an application and agreement to abide by the site rules to gain admission.

nazartp

Apr 5, 2006
HF has never been by invitation.

It has always had an application and agreement to abide by the site rules to gain admission.

I migrated here from Yahoo Sports message board. Funny enough, a couple of guys on that board were telling other people to move here, but were also saying that it was by invitation only. I just tried to apply and was approved without the invitation. Always thought I snuck in by mistake. :naughty:

Reactions: rfournier103

Si Hopkins

Dec 8, 2007
Easthampton
magichelicopterpress.com
I migrated here from Yahoo Sports message board. Funny enough, a couple of guys on that board were telling other people to move here, but were also saying that it was by invitation only. I just tried to apply and was approved without the invitation. Always thought I snuck in by mistake. :naughty:

I felt the same way. I think I wrote to you @Gee Wally and just was like "Hi, I want to join HFboards." And I think you wrote back something like "Okay, go ahead." :laugh:

Reactions: sooshii and sarge88

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
upload_2019-3-14_9-59-47.png

upload_2019-3-14_9-59-6.png

Bruins

Reactions: BMC

aguineapig

Did you see Billy Derlago at the airport in the Peg waiting for flight to his next team?

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
OK, I’ve told this story before on HF, but it always made me laugh. Still does.

Rick Bowness behind the bench in early nineties. Nice dark suit. Puck comes over the dasher like a rocket. Nearly kills Rick and definitely knocks him ass over teakettle. Either hit him, or he dives to avoid it. Can’t remember which. Either way, last vision of Rick is his legs and feet as he hits the floor. With his snazzy black suit trousers, black shoes and snazzy white socks! :laugh:

#HighFashion (10 points for whoever gets where I stole that from)

Reactions: smithformeragent

aguineapig

When the Jets were around the first time remember that banner of Queen Elizabeth in the rink? That was unique.
Always thought Morris Lukowich would look great on the Bruins until we got him.And he wasn't.But if Oskar turns out to be half the player of Tomas Steen we got a player on our hands.

Reactions: Strafer

aguineapig

When the Jets took Schiefele 7th in 2011 thought it was a reach and one more pick to go and maybe Couturier would land in our lap. Flyers grabbed him next though and we get Hamilton. Has the play been on Broadway longer than Hamilton ran here or in Calgary?

Reactions: Strafer and BMC

FONZIE

AYYYYYY!!!!
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Moved to Wisconsin
Remember right after the lockout we played the Habs and Fitzy got a penalty and it reigned down all the mini Stanley Cups they had given us as fan-favors? Andrew Raycroft hid in his net.
I still have my cup--its downstairs, never opened and I dust it once a week.
I still have mine buried in a moving box somewhere. I came close to hucking it on the ice that night.

FONZIE

AYYYYYY!!!!
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Moved to Wisconsin
Ok, good memory time.

I remember 2008 game 6...that game sparked their 2010s run

My and my brother decided to buy tickets that morning and sat up in the balcony. Easily the greatest sporting event I have seen live. The atmosphere was rocking from the first second. The game itself was a perfect hockey game. No lead higher than 1. Both teams just throwing haymakers all night.

I remember our entire section was hugging each other after Sturm's goal. Then being nervous as all hell for the final 2 minutes.

I’ve been going to games with my older brothers since the mid 80’s. Seen playoff games against the Sabers and “Folign-hole” and his huge brain bucket helmet. That game you are talking about was the craziest game I’ve been to. I was hugging strangers and probably hugged you that night! That game was ridiculous!

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

Was it on 38?

Yes. TV38.

Reactions: Strafer

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Pure curiosity, what is it about Dupont that you don't like?

I believe Kevin is a decent guy.

But it's easy to take shots from the gallery, which he did, on a regular basis.

DuPont would confer "nick names" on players ("John Casey & the Amazing Technicolor Five Hole," "Landon of the Lost," etc.) that were both lame & needlessly hurtful. Nor, in general, did I ever think much of his writing. A matter of taste, I'm sure.

To me, he reminds of CHB. Cynical, easily so, and a lazy provocateur.

The Globe needs new blood on its Bruins beat. Not a vampire.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad