TV: Remaking All In The Family and The Jeffersons

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I turned it on as it started and turned it off a minute later. Norman Lear introduced it and all that he talked about was how he hoped that it would start a much-needed national dialogue. Considering the nature of the two shows, it wasn't hard to guess the event's purpose and narrative, and it didn't appeal to me, so I turned it off and can't comment on the actual re-enactments.

Last edited:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Woody Harrelson's attempt at Archie Bunker wasn't good. The rest was very funny. Jamie Foxx's mannerisms were unreal.

Sep 19, 2008
I might take a watch at a replay or something it sounded interesting

2o19 Archie Bunker would not sit well with certain types of people with all the things he be sayin'

Mimsy

Mar 21, 2015
I don't watch much network television beyond a couple of shows, but I spied this on my channel guide two minutes before airtime and watched out of curiosity. It was a bit of a slog to get through.

You can't replicate Carroll O'Connor's performance. Props to Harrelson for trying, but it was a swing and a miss. Marisa Tomei was okay, but like O'Connor, you can't replace Jean Stapleton. Jamie Foxx broke character after flubbing a line. Rather than composing himself and moving on, he played it for more laughs. I did not like. Foxx overplayed Sherman Hemsley's mannerisms in his "All in the Family" scene, but tightened up his performance for The Jeffersons, and probably delivered the most convincing impression of the entire cast. Faithful character impressions is what everyone seemed to be aiming for. The rest of the cast was mostly window dressing, albeit competent window dressing. I considered it a bland viewing experience overall.

Original unaltered scripts from both sitcoms were used. The "All in the Family" episode was the more topical of the two. Archie's bigotry was on full display and yet the subject matter seemed tame in light of today's toxic climate around race relations and immigration. Nevertheless, "All in the Family" remains among the most ballsy shows in history.

Reactions: Supermassive

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
I said they are "remaking" these series in the title - TBH, I didn't know how else to describe what they did in 10 words or less.

Orr, you're active in this forum, and remember a lot of past entertainment.. Do u (et al) remember Lear tried updating All in the Family about 25 years ago.
There was a terrible, short-lived series: 704 Hauser. John Amos (dad from Good Times and otherwise great actor), moves his family in to the Bunkers' old house and they proceed to recreate the political arguments/battles of Archie and Meathead, etc.. This was early in the boring wave of ethnically re-imagining old series and movies (ie- Magnum PI, The Equalizer, Uncle Buck, Karate Kid,etc etc)

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Orr, you're active in this forum, and remember a lot of past entertainment.. Do u (et al) remember Lear tried updating All in the Family about 25 years ago.
There was a terrible, short-lived series: 704 Hauser. John Amos (dad from Good Times and otherwise great actor), moves his family in to the Bunkers' old house and they proceed to recreate the political arguments/battles of Archie and Meathead, etc.. This was early in the boring wave of ethnically re-imagining old series and movies (ie- Magnum PI, The Equalizer, Uncle Buck, Karate Kid,etc etc)
I don't remember.

It's sad that NETWORK TV is so void of original ideas, they have to remake past successes. Shameful.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I didn't watch it, but it seems to be part of the trend to produce live television specials that seemed to really take off with the Sound of Music live special a few years ago as a Christmas special.

I can understand the draw of these live specials when people don't really have access to live theatre, and it gives them a chance to watch some of these big name productions. I don't quite get the appeal of watching a live re-creation of something that was originally on television.

That said, I think the networks are trying to find any way to get people to watch television live. People are less likely to watch a pvr recording and fast forward through commercials. Ratings seemed to do well, so, I'm guessing it's not the last one we'll see.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
For those that missed it the first time around ABC is re-running the special tonight at 8 pm. Trust me - you'd be better off spending these 2 hours rearranging your sock and underwear drawers or scrapbooking with your Mom. :nod:

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
For those that missed it the first time around ABC is re-running the special tonight at 8 pm. Trust me - you'd be better off spending these 2 hours rearranging your sock and underwear drawers or scrapbooking with your Mom. :nod:
Yeah, compared to the original episodes, these were really bad. I guess Ellie Kemper was OK as Gloria and Marisa Tomei did a passable Edith, the rest were terrible.

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens
Watched it (thanks Bob for letting us know it would be on again). I thought Marisa Tomei was the best on AITF and Foxx was great as Mr Jefferson (voice was identical) Wanda Sykes was pretty good too. Even though it wasn’t a strong Meathead episode, the guy playing him seemed weak. Maybe the best of all was Marla Gibbs!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad