Remake the UFC Rankings System

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
My thought is simple - only the past 3 years of results should matter. Anything previous to that isn't really relevant anymore other than you get the benefit of you getting bigger fights from being in that position.

Guys are squatting on positions and not fighting which holds back more deserving fighters who are active and winning fights. Jorge Masvidal is going to be pushing for a title fight in 2023 despite not winning a fight since 2019.

Darren Till is the #9 middleweight in the UFC despite being 1-4 in the last 4 years with that only win being a split decision over Kelvin Gastelum.

Reactions: CDJ

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
There is a fundamental issue where the media people doing the rankings may not know or care much about the sport and the people, that do care, do not want to be involved with the rankings.

Just yeet the rankings

Reactions: 16Skippy

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
There is a fundamental issue where the media people doing the rankings may not know or care much about the sport and the people, that do care, do not want to be involved with the rankings.

Just yeet the rankings

Yeah, it's insane (if it's true) that this is how the rankings are done are at least were done. I have heard that many real MMA journalists/reporters refused to participate because they thought it might negatively impact their relationship with the fighters which is understandable. But yeah, they have to do better than this.

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
My thought is simple - only the past 3 years of results should matter. Anything previous to that isn't really relevant anymore other than you get the benefit of you getting bigger fights from being in that position.

Guys are squatting on positions and not fighting which holds back more deserving fighters who are active and winning fights. Jorge Masvidal is going to be pushing for a title fight in 2023 despite not winning a fight since 2019.

Darren Till is the #9 middleweight in the UFC despite being 1-4 in the last 4 years with that only win being a split decision over Kelvin Gastelum.
I think the idea of voting is good since the rankings will always be little subjective. But 1) They should really vet and be transparent about who is voting, and how they're voting. A lot of those sites mentioned in the article above are still included
1663282358203.png

2) They should set clear criteria about how to vote, things like your idea in bold. There will always by disagreements but having a clear criteria would at least eliminate some of the subjectivity.

Reactions: CDJ

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I have no suggestions, I just wanted to say the way that they do it now is absolute garbage and tailored to pushing the UFCs motives rather than based in any type of fairness or logic. Some of the ideas you guys have mentioned are great.

One thing that I'd like to see (which will absolutely not be possible to do fairly) is to take the actual fight into consideration not just the result. For example if a top 5 fighter wins a close split decision against a top 15 guy, the rankings should show that those two guys are closer in skill sets. If the number 2 guy absolutely runs over the number 3 guy, the rankings should show that there's a significant gap between those two fighters. Again, no way to do this without heavy bias, but not all wins are equal you know?

Reactions: 16Skippy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad