Mikael Granlund
Erik Haula
Anthony Duclair
Corey Perry
Sami Vatanen
Patrick Marleau
Conor Sheary
Alex Galchenyuk

Some pretty alright forwards, but are there som higher valued d-men I have missed? Best goalies still out there?

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Who is still available?

The ones that I can remember are:

Mike Hoffman
Joe Thornton
Zdeno Chara
Mikael Granlund
Erik Haula
Anthony Duclair
Corey Perry
Sami Vatanen
Patrick Marleau
Conor Sheary
Alex Galchenyuk

Some pretty alright forwards, but are there som higher valued d-men I have missed? Best goalies still out there?
Hamonic

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Listening to Chris Johnston on the Steve Dangle Podcast yesterday he said that he thinks Joe Thornton will sign with the Leafs. Interesting to see how that would play out if it happens......

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
I'd love Haula in Colorado but trades would need to be done for that to work unless he signs for peanuts out of desperation. And even then we'd have to trade Jost because there is no sense in having him as a 13th or even 14th forward if they graduate Kaut.

Reactions: davalanche96

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Listening to Chris Johnston on the Steve Dangle Podcast yesterday he said that he thinks Joe Thornton will sign with the Leafs. Interesting to see how that would play out if it happens......

I don't see why he would sign there or how he fits the Leafs. They already have some really old guys on their last legs in Simmonds and Spezza. Not sure there's a point in adding another in Thornton. He'd be a better fit elsewhere i think. You really need to compensate for his bad skating at this stage .

I think Thornton either goes back to the Sharks or with a team where he knows a few guys and thats good .

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
who has room to sign players beyond $1M or less contracts? Assuming they operate on a full 23 man roster

Vegas still needs to trade away salary
Arizona needs to unload salary
Montreal small unload
Edmonton small unload
Islanders might need to move salary
St Louis needs to unload
Tamps Bay
Toronto
Vancouver

Washington
Winnipeg
Vegas

space to take on salary
Detroit
Ottawa
LA
Florida
New Jersey
Rangers

Other teams may have some space where traded salary is a gain to them of about $1M-$2M and they would still be good.

Some of the teams might be able to get by on a 21 man roster.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I'd love Haula in Colorado but trades would need to be done for that to work unless he signs for peanuts out of desperation. And even then we'd have to trade Jost because there is no sense in having him as a 13th or even 14th forward if they graduate Kaut.
It makes no sense to trade Jost. He’s cheap and cost controlled. Avs would love to love to move JTC or Donskoi but that won’t happen either. No trade partners for guys like them.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
who has room to sign players beyond $1M or less contracts? Assuming they operate on a full 23 man roster

Edmonton small unload

Edmonton still needs to sign Bear, but they could also LTIR Klefbom.

If Bear signs a bridge for under $3mill, they might be able to sign a discounted LW to play with McDavid.

But I'd imagine the most pressing need would be a LHD replacement for Klefbom.
Nurse isn't polished enough to handle the top-pairing duties for the entire season.

Given that Hoffman, Haula, Dadonov, Athanasiou, are still UFA, I doubt there's any kind of market for Chiasson without adding picks we don't have, and I doubt the Oilers can part with Kris Russell with so many question marks on their D.

RantanenRavin

Jun 24, 2017
I don't see why he would sign there or how he fits the Leafs. They already have some really old guys on their last legs in Simmonds and Spezza. Not sure there's a point in adding another in Thornton. He'd be a better fit elsewhere i think. You really need to compensate for his bad skating at this stage .

I think Thornton either goes back to the Sharks or with a team where he knows a few guys and thats good .
I think he's done with the Sharks personally. He wanted a chance for a cup at the deadline, and Wilson decided to let him fester. I wouldn't be surprised if he retired before returning to them.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Edmonton still needs to sign Bear, but they could also LTIR Klefbom.

If Bear signs a bridge for under $3mill, they might be able to sign a discounted LW to play with McDavid.

But I'd imagine the most pressing need would be a LHD replacement for Klefbom.
Nurse isn't polished enough to handle the top-pairing duties for the entire season.

Given that Hoffman, Haula, Dadonov, Athanasiou, are still UFA, I doubt there's any kind of market for Chiasson without adding picks we don't have, and I doubt the Oilers can part with Kris Russell with so many question marks on their D.

I didn’t address ltir stuff in this. There are ways like ltir. Arizona has Hossa for ltir but they don’t have enough ELCs to make it work. They traded him to the rangers who have a bunch, then Arizona might be ok.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
It makes no sense to trade Jost. He’s cheap and cost controlled. Avs would love to love to move JTC or Donskoi but that won’t happen either. No trade partners for guys like them.
I would love if we could find a taker for Cole/Compher/Donskoi so that we could make a run at Cirelli, but I don't think it'll be possible to move them without giving up a prohibitive asset.

That said, I could see Sakic resigning Jost, and then adding a 13F and a 7D to eat nachos this year to allow our prospects (O'Connor, Kaut, Timmins, Byram, etc) to have more regular game time.

A guy like Grabner on a league minimum deal could be a consideration as his speed and PK ability would make him useful as a depth guy. Alterntaively Matt Nieto could be brought back on a $1m x 1 year deal.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Going to be very interesting to see how this plays out. Some of these guys may regret being patient. There isn't a lot of space left and most teams haven't even started signing their RFAs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad