Relocation Rumblings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
From Fenway in the BOH forum

Back in Boston after working Sunday night's game in Ottawa and THREE different Sens gameday employees told me the same thing - Sunday was possibly the last time the Bruins will play in Ottawa.

They all believe that Melnyk will bolt for Quebec City and the NHL can not stop him. Then once the team has relocated he can then sell part or all of the team to people based from QC.

Keep in mind that the BoG was powerless to stop the North Stars from moving to Dallas in 1993

All I can report firsthand is there in genuine apathy in Ottawa concerning the Sens right now - mostly because of Melnyk. The owner of a popular diner on Elgin St told us the damage he has caused can not be repaired. The attendance for a late Sunday afternoon game with a divisional rival says it all

upload_2018-12-10_4-0-13-png.163669

This is a toxic situation and Melnyk avoiding the BoG meeting in Georgia last week didn't help.

Maybe this was the spark that GB didn't want to turn into a complete disaster that was referenced in the story the other day?

Either way, it wouldn't surprise me if this is true. I've been saying for a while that Melnyk absolutely will try and relocate this franchise. I don't think he'll be successful, but he's going to do everything he can to try and punish this city.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
No one can force Melnyk to lose money and go bankrupt. If he doesn't feel Ottawa can support his team, not sure why people think there is no chance he can leave for a better market. Whether it is a 5% or 50% chance, I certainly don't discount the possibility.

It isn't a scare tactic. Scaring people into doing what, exactly? Buy tickets? Hardly. Melnyk hasn't gone public with the Bryden approach and the SOS. If he has made up his mind to look at relocation, it will be difficult for the NHL to stop him. If an Ottawa bidder offers 600M, but Houston offers 650M, he will move it. He needs the appropriate approval from the BOG to move the team.

He hasn't been spotted in other markets yet, but who knows who they were speaking to anyways.

Danythegod

Jun 25, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Scare tactics for people to start appreciating melnyk. Nothing new and sens aren’t leaving. Nothing new here everyone. Carry on.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
I could honestly see the team moving at this point. Melnyk would like to screw the city and I don't think Bettman gives a f*** about Ottawa.

Reactions: Danythegod

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Apparently NHL has its constitution that requires permission:
4.2 Territorial Rights of League The League shall have exclusive control of the playing of hockey games by Member Clubs in the home territory of each member, subject to the rights hereinafter granted to members. The members shall have the right to and agree to operate professional hockey clubs and play the League schedule in their respective cities or boroughs as indicated opposite their signatures hereto. No member shall transfer its club and franchise to a different city or borough. No additional cities or boroughs shall be added to the League circuit without the consent of three-fourths of all the members of the League. Any admission of new members with franchises to operate in any additional cities or boroughs shall be subject to the provisions of Section 4.3.
If you want to relocate you need to apply no later than January 1st and get BoG approval:
BY-LAWS

Section 36

Transfer of Franchise Location

36.1. Application

(a) Any Member Club seeking consent to a transfer of its franchise and club to a different city or borough in accordance with Section 4.2 of the Constitution, shall file a written application for such consent with the Commissioner of the League.

(b) Such application shall be filed no later than January 1 of the year prior to the year in which it is proposed the Club will commence its first season in the new location, unless a majority of the Member Clubs consents to a later filing date.

(c) The application shall include a statement as to why the applicant seeks such transfer. It shall also include a statement of reasons why the applicant believes consent to the proposed transfer should be given and shall be accompanied by such documentation as the applicant deems appropriate, in light of the provisions of this By-Law Section 36 and Section 4.2 of the Constitution.

So yeah I doubt Melnyk would be dodging BoG if he wanted to relocate.
I mean he can pack up and leave without the approval but then risk getting booted out of the league over it.

Danythegod

Jun 25, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Apparently NHL has its constitution that requires permission:

If you want to relocate you need to apply no later than January 1st and get BoG approval:

So yeah I doubt Melnyk would be dodging BoG if he wanted to relocate.
I mean he can pack up and leave without the approval but then risk getting booted out of the league over it.
Well I think we can close this post because this comment just owned it and those who agreed it. Well said

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I could honestly see the team moving at this point. Melnyk would like to screw the city and I don't think Bettman gives a **** about Ottawa.

Relocate to a way worse market?... No thats not happening whether Bettman gives a shit or not about Ottawa has nothing to do with it the other owners know the optics of Quebec. Everyone knows why attendance is struggling these aren't cause for debate the facts are in. Do you really think with a toxic owner like Melnyk it will go any better in Quebec?.... Houston who doesnt have a building and wont for a while or Austin texas a better market then moving the sens downtown Ottawa. I am really f***ing tired of this BS that people take as real news. Melnyk has already been exposed paying for twitter bots these stupid stories that have no proof quotes or legs behind them are obviously just another low budget attempt to push the media and fans in his favor.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Would be pretty surprising, if not bizarre, that this HUGE news was picked up by a HF poster, and nobody else, and not talked about, or even discussed, by the dozens upon dozens of insiders and people connected to the team, when they would all kill to have that type of breaking news.

Not to mention all those working for the Sens. If these "3 gameday employees" know this, what about all the others, with many of them connected to those that post here?

*Oh wait, they all "believe". Yeah, lock it up. It's the same as me saying these 3 guys I talked to believe it. Nothing to see here.

Last edited:

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Would be pretty surprising, if not bizarre, that this HUGE news was picked up by a HF poster, and nobody else, and not talked about, or even discussed, by the dozens upon dozens of insiders and people connected to the team, when they would all kill to have that type of breaking news.

Not to mention all those working for the Sens. If these "3 gameday employees" know this, what about all the others, with many of them connected to those that post here?

"Oh wait, they all "believe". Yeah, lock it up

/thread

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
The damage Melnyk has done to his brand, image and the image of the team is irreparable. I don’t think it’s going to come to relocation, for whatever it’s worth, but the communty’s affection and affiliation, anywhere close to its potential, is far too apathetic in nature at this point.

I don’t think the Sens are moving, but it’s important to recognize that, however minuscule the chances, if Melnyk continues to own the team, the idea of it not happening in Ottawa is at least a conversation. As a paying (err....formerly paying) fan, it’s becoming more and more clear to me that I’m not coming back without a sale of the team. I’m not interested in debating the merits of my choice, only the implications. As such, I recognize that IF there are enough people like me who only cheer for the Sens BUT who also have the same convictions, then something will have to give: Melnyk will either hold his asset and relocate it, or he’ll sell it. For me, the time to consider the Sens leaving is if Lebreton proceeds without an arena, in any capacity. The league isn’t approving a relocation out of a hockey market, trying to close in on a downtown arena, serviced by two subway stops, on a newly built LRT service. That’s why I believe there’s a game of chicken unfolding, of course, with us as collateral fall out. Stakeholders are at every angle: Melnyk, the NCC, Devcore, the city (in varying facets), the NHL and of course, us.

In terms of the actual comments as the source topic of the thread, it reads like a supsens rumour: something we should have all learned to ignore by now lol.

Anyway, interesting times. It’s funny: I would gladly go back to feeling grateful to get my hands on expensive lower bowl tickets over being able to go on the cheap (if I wanted) as things look now, but I didn’t make that bed and I’m sure as hell not sleeping in it.

The feeling is stronger now than ever: Melnyk can go f**k himself.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I could honestly see the team moving at this point. Melnyk would like to screw the city and I don't think Bettman gives a **** about Ottawa.
Bettman would have let this team head south in 2003 if that was the case.

The league doesn’t like relocation as long as there’s a suitable arena.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Relocate to a way worse market?... No thats not happening whether Bettman gives a **** or not about Ottawa has nothing to do with it the other owners know the optics of Quebec. Everyone knows why attendance is struggling these aren't cause for debate the facts are in. Do you really think with a toxic owner like Melnyk it will go any better in Quebec?.... Houston who doesnt have a building and wont for a while or Austin texas a better market then moving the sens downtown Ottawa. I am really ****ing tired of this BS that people take as real news. Melnyk has already been exposed paying for twitter bots these stupid stories that have no proof quotes or legs behind them are obviously just another low budget attempt to push the media and fans in his favor.

Oh I'm aware that it makes zero sense to move the team. We have great fans here and we all know what the problem is. My comment was more that Ottawa always seems to get screwed. Until Melnyk is gone, a dark cloud will continue to hang over this franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->