GDT: Relegation Round • Jan. 2 • Czech Republic 3, Germany 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

HamiltonOHL

BulldogsFan00
Jun 30, 2005
Hamilton, Ontario
I think the Slovaks will beat the Czechs and finish 7th. I also am unsure if Finland will be able to rebound from that devastating defeat to beat a Swiss team (albeit significantly weaker than Finland is).

I'm not trying to be a c*cky canadian but if Canada won this year and finished in top place and USA beat Sweden or Russia in Bronze i would be ok with that predicition of yours because then

Pool A would be

Canada
Russia or Sweden or USA (whom ever loses bronze medal game)
Swiss
Czech (lets hope they beat Slovakia) because then it owuld be Slovakia here
Denmark/Latvia

Then they don't even need to worry about losing a possible division to more then 1 team and thats who finishes in 4th.. If Swiss beats Finland next yrs Pool A could be this years verison of pool A

dmacgreg37

Dec 11, 2007
British Columbia
I'm not trying to be a c*cky canadian but if Canada won this year and finished in top place and USA beat Sweden or Russia in Bronze i would be ok with that predicition of yours because then

Pool A would be

Canada
Russia or Sweden or USA (whom ever loses bronze medal game)
Swiss
Czech (lets hope they beat Slovakia) because then it owuld be Slovakia hereDenmark/Latvia

Then they don't even need to worry about losing a possible division to more then 1 team and thats who finishes in 4th.. If Swiss beats Finland next yrs Pool A could be this years verison of pool A

I wouldn't worry about either of these teams, as neither have been a factor for a while now. I don't think it will matter, as I don't think we're going to win. I do think we'll finish 3rd (if we can get up for a Bronze game, which usually Canadians don't). However, in this circumstance, there's a chance we could, as either way we'd have something to play for - either you're playing Russia (long time rival) or a Swedish team who said you weren't that hard to play against.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Going into next year the Germans may have the best team ever to play in D1. Kuhnhackl, Rieder, Hofflin, Abeltshauser, Noebels, Elsner and Latta will probably all be on the team next year. I think that's more drafted/ should be drafted players than Denmark and Latvia combined.

IIHF should change the rules so that only one team goes up and only one down. Ridiculous how a team with all of this potential for the next WJC will be playing D1.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Going into next year the Germans may have the best team ever to play in D1. Kuhnhackl, Rieder, Hofflin, Abeltshauser, Noebels, Elsner and Latta will probably all be on the team next year. I think that's more drafted/ should be drafted players than Denmark and Latvia combined.

IIHF should change the rules so that only one team goes up and only one down. Ridiculous how a team with all of this potential for the next WJC will be playing D1.

That's what will happen starting with the next tournament, which is the reason why they really should have stayed up this year...

DIV 1 will again be divided in two groups, but it'll be more like two divisions now, with teams 11-15 being the next group, the only one that can get teams into the top division. Teams 16-20 will play to get into the 11-15 group.

Rogalo

Sep 9, 2004
Copenhagen

WTF? If they are such a talented force they should have showed it on the ice and actually beaten a team they are in your words supposed to replace in A1. But they failed and lost to both Slovakia (In OT) and Czech rep (in regular time). They are where they belong because they didnt preform in direct competition. End of story:shakehead

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
WTF? If they are such a talented force they should have showed it on the ice and actually beaten a team they are in your words supposed to replace in A1. But they failed and lost to both Slovakia (In OT) and Czech rep (in regular time). They are where they belong because they didnt preform in direct competition. End of story:shakehead

I guess you missed the point...

The point was that two teams going down every year doesn't make much sense, especially the way it is right now. With two out of ten going down, you create a circle that isn't really necessary. Germany annihilated the competition last year, they should be much better than the two teams that come up, but they won't be able to show it.

Obviously, in the current format, they deserved to be relegated, but that doesn't mean that one can't critizise the format.

Having only one team get relegated every year, or holding a tournament that puts the worst teams of the WJC against the best of the DIV 1 would be a better choice.

dmacgreg37

Dec 11, 2007
British Columbia

Did you miss the part where he used the word POTENTIAL. That is different than TALENT. Potential for next year he said, which makes sense since most (if not all) of the players he mentioned are returnees (most players are normally better as returnees) as they are a year older. Huge difference.

Rogalo

Sep 9, 2004
Copenhagen
Did you miss the part where he used the word POTENTIAL. That is different than TALENT. Potential for next year he said, which makes sense since most (if not all) of the players he mentioned are returnees (most players are normally better as returnees) as they are a year older. Huge difference.

Well when we are talking potential I think guys like e.g. Frk, Straka, Musil, Jaškin, Holik are gonna be more exciting to watch than the Germans. No offence to the talent of the rising generation of German players...

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006

I agree - they do it simply to have two Div 1's and it is time they make one div one. It would be a hell of a tournament like it should be. The two Div 1's are watered down.

No way the Germans should be playing outside the top level with this team.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Well when we are talking potential I think guys like e.g. Frk, Straka, Musil, Jaškin, Holik are gonna be more exciting to watch than the Germans. No offence to the talent of the rising generation of German players...

I agree that they are, but the German team next year will be better than Latvia or Denmark, yet will be playing a division down. I understand they deserve to be relegated based on this format, but it doesn't make too much sense if you look at it the way I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->