Releases

Fan.At

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2002
HFNHL Preds
as far as i know there is only one certain point in the offseason where it is possible to release prospects

HFNHL Red Wings

Can you release prospects at any time?

Between the conclusion of the draft and just prior to free agency you will be allowed to release prospects. That way any releases are added to the free agency list for teams to bid on if they so choose.
This will also be the period when you can start submitting player buyouts (1year salary) although this can be done anytime up to the start of the season.

Reminder: Maximum team org size (prospects + signed players) is dropping to 80 for the start of next season.

Last edited by a moderator:

HFNHL Red Wings

I'm right there with you.

After this summers draft picks I'll by at 97 and even after some obvious cuts to guys on my propspect list and a letting a bunch of guys walk as UFA's I'll still have to cut a few guys I don't want to and buyout 3 or 4 others (totalling $5+M) and that's just to get down to 80!. If I want to sign anyone on July 1st I'll either have to do some trades or make tougher cuts :(

There's a lot of teams that are going to have to make similar tough cuts so it's looking like a buyers market for those teams with room to spare.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
I'm right there with you.

After this summers draft picks I'll by at 97 and even after some obvious cuts to guys on my propspect list and a letting a bunch of guys walk as UFA's I'll still have to cut a few guys I don't want to and buyout 3 or 4 others (totalling $5+M) and that's just to get down to 80!. If I want to sign anyone on July 1st I'll either have to do some trades or make tougher cuts :(

There's a lot of teams that are going to have to make similar tough cuts so it's looking like a buyers market for those teams with room to spare.

I'm already down to just a few above 80. :yo:

Default101

i have about 15 worthless prospects on my team, i never got a chance to move them because i joined outside the free agency window let alone the prospect release window... oh well, i should have no problem if a team is moving prospects that could still have some shot i might be interested :P

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Question about the rule....is it still in effect between the draft and free agency, either the current rule for this year, or 80 for next year's draft?

Just thinking that we add a bunch of players before we would get to release any, meaning you would need to think way ahead just to be able to cover the two weeks between the draft and free agency.

Default101

my best opinoon would be flip through all your prospects, and keep track of where they all are so you know when the time comes who needs to be dropped and who needs to be retained

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Why not just have the release date at around the start of the season instead? That way we could also get a shot at dropping the players that left for Europe.
Anyways, I think there should be a 2nd release deadline for players that left for Europe. I've been stuck with a few guys that I can't drop off my prospect list due to they signed in Europe and were moved to the prospect list after the release date for prospects. Ofcourse, I could have bought them out when they were still on the roster, but that would have cost a total of 2m or so. I think it was bad enough to have lost 2/3 of my 3rd line (in Hedström-Aubin)..

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
The point was to help promote parity by prevent teams from excessive stockpiling. Therefore, the release date was set prior to Free Agency to give teams with less depth a chance to sign those players.

The release deadline (by which teams need to be at 80) is, IIRC, after the entry draft but before Free Agency. I'd suggest that we should also have one prior to the season prompted by player movement and signings, as well as the "players going to Europe" issue that Ville points out.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
The point was to help promote parity by prevent teams from excessive stockpiling. Therefore, the release date was set prior to Free Agency to give teams with less depth a chance to sign those players.

The release deadline (by which teams need to be at 80) is, If I recall correctly, after the entry draft but before Free Agency. I'd suggest that we should also have one prior to the season prompted by player movement and signings, as well as the "players going to Europe" issue that Ville points out.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to have a second release period just before the season starts, IMO.

HFNHL Red Wings

Most of this is covered in bits and pieces in the responses but there is also some 'incomplete' responses as well. So to sum it up.

Pending any changes the process currently is
(i) Prospect releases happen after the draft but before free agency. The purpose of this was to give everyone a chance to review a consolidated list of released prospects and as a result any offers to these players could be handled through the same structured process as other FA's (we're lazy people after all :) )
(ii) Being down to 80 has to be accomplished by the start of the next season so you can be at 80+ after free agancy but would either have to trade or buyout some guys to get down to 80 by the start of the season

In regards to the second release period I'll defer to Nick since he's the one that would have to administer compiling a new list and handling any new offers.
My fear is that teams will hold off most releases until the second release period to wait and see how they do in the preseason which would create a whole lot of work for Nick and to a lesser extent me. The second period would also coincide with the time when teams are sending in lots of prospect signing offers plus undrafted FA's that have a good showing in the preseason.
In the end I wouldn't oppose it but that point in the season really is an administrative pain in the arse already so adding to it doesn't exactly excite me.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
In regards to the second release period I'll defer to Nick since he's the one that would have to administer compiling a new list and handling any new offers.
My fear is that teams will hold off most releases until the second release period to wait and see how they do in the preseason which would create a whole lot of work for Nick and to a lesser extent me. The second period would also coincide with the time when teams are sending in lots of prospect signing offers plus undrafted FA's that have a good showing in the preseason.
In the end I wouldn't oppose it but that point in the season really is an administrative pain in the arse already so adding to it doesn't exactly excite me.

Thanks, Drew - with the process as you've described in place, a second release period isn't necessary.

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
this still leaves open the "euros" that leave after the release period. And if you have to trim down the roster to 80 at the first deadline, the number of players released at the 2nd deadline will not be high. Most of the releases would probably be marginal prospects or players leaving for europe anyways.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
this still leaves open the "euros" that leave after the release period. And if you have to trim down the roster to 80 at the first deadline, the number of players released at the 2nd deadline will not be high. Most of the releases would probably be marginal prospects or players leaving for europe anyways.

Unless people don't make their releases until the second deadline, creating more work for Nick and others.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North

Signed players who head for Europe after the release period move from your roster to your prospects list, so you still retain their rights among your 80 players (signed + prospects). If you choose to release them, you have the option to do so, but then they couldn't be signed by anyone else anyway as they're in Europe, so there's no neeed for a second release period.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad