Relative worth of draft pick positions

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Just wondering if anyone has any numbers/resources on what picks are really worth? I’ve seen things like this (What percentage of NHL draft picks make it to the NHL? | Hockey Answered) that go over the odds of making it for each round, but I’m curious about exact picks. Like, is it better to have #6 overall, or #15 and #28? Meanwhile we also always judge off of what round a pick is in, but really- if you get Vegas’ 1st rounder that’s likely in the #25+ range. Is there a huge different between that and the Coyote’s 2nd round pick? It’d be cool to have, like, averaged out aggregate numbers for each pick over the years, but I doubt anyones done that. Obviously it’s gonna be year and pick specific, but it also seems teams would benefit by using that math a bit more- maybe they do and I just don’t know it, but say a good team has a late 1st and a bad team wants to make a deal- they offer their 2nd and 4th picks. I’d be curious what the numbers say. There’s all sorts of scenarios where it gets interesting- is there value in getting two cracks at two different players in the first place? So on and so forth.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Just wondering if anyone has any numbers/resources on what picks are really worth? I’ve seen things like this (What percentage of NHL draft picks make it to the NHL? | Hockey Answered) that go over the odds of making it for each round, but I’m curious about exact picks. Like, is it better to have #6 overall, or #15 and #28? Meanwhile we also always judge off of what round a pick is in, but really- if you get Vegas’ 1st rounder that’s likely in the #25+ range. Is there a huge different between that and the Coyote’s 2nd round pick? It’d be cool to have, like, averaged out aggregate numbers for each pick over the years, but I doubt anyones done that. Obviously it’s gonna be year and pick specific, but it also seems teams would benefit by using that math a bit more- maybe they do and I just don’t know it, but say a good team has a late 1st and a bad team wants to make a deal- they offer their 2nd and 4th picks. I’d be curious what the numbers say. There’s all sorts of scenarios where it gets interesting- is there value in getting two cracks at two different players in the first place? So on and so forth.

https://myslu.stlawu.edu/~msch/sports/Schuckers_NHL_Draft.pdf

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Long document, but there is a draft pick value chart at the end. Of course teams develop their own value charts but here is a idea at least of what some of these charts may look like.

It is a fairly outdated chart which uses data from 1988 to 1997, when draft philosophy and many other things were completely different.

I actually don't think teams use value charts. There is a large enough sample size these days to create a ballpark in terms of trade value, and then it really just depends on how desperate/indifferent you are about the prospect you can get at the pick that is getting traded.

That means that in general, the value of each pick deviates from year to year and is subject to bias. Now you can objectively reduce bias if you have a reliable prospect evaluation model and instead choose to focus on prospect value to determine pick value.

If you have a reliable model, then you can clearly nail down the exact ranges you would take certain prospects and know how valuable your pick is (to you, and potentially to other teams if you can create a sophisticated enough model) at any given time (even if it changes over time) because you base that pick value on the quality of prospect you would get.

Reason being: What if you have a faller? If you are at pick 20 and have the opportunity to draft a guy who you have as a top 10 caliber prospect (i.e. Minnesota and Wallstedt) and a team comes up to you wanting your pick, are you going to value that pick like a 20th overall pick from an average draft where you expect to get a "20th overall quality" prospect, or are you going to value that pick like a top 10 pick because you believe you are getting a top 10 caliber prospect? Most likely the latter. Whether another team sees it that way and is willing to pony up that price, and whether you are willing to take it even if they do, is another question.

Another short fall of this entire thing is quality of prospect too. This model only evaluates games played. That is nice and all, and there is obviously a correlation between games played and quality of player, but there are guys who end up as 3rd liners who play just as many games in the NHL as guys who end up as 1st liners. A guy you are getting at 3rd overall is likely going to end up being much better than the guy ending up at 14th overall, even if they end up playing a similar number of games... And I certainly am not accepting 44th overall and a couple of mid-round picks to move down to that spot. Even if the pick value is the same evaluating based on number of games played, the chances I get more of an overall impact out of 3rd overall is likely much higher than that trade package full of picks who will likely only yield prospects who are easier to find.

Reactions: Brodeur

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

I will tie this in a bit to my response above and pretty much just answer the bolded with: it depends.

Here are my top 15 guys from 2021. Don't worry too much about the meaning behind the numbers, letters, symbols, etc. Not as important as the "local" and "global" rankings.

NamePositionShoots/CatchesBirth MonthMonth #Birth YearHeight (ft)Height (cm)Weight (lbs)Junior TeamLeaguePlayer URLPotential RatingDevelopment RatingLocal RankingGlobal Ranking
Owen PowerDefensemanLeftNovember1120026'5"195209MichiganNCAAOwen Power at eliteprospects.com8.5A++55
Matthew BeniersCenterLeftNovember1120026'1"185174MichiganNCAAMatty Beniers at eliteprospects.com8.5A++55
Luke HughesDefensemanLeftSeptember920036'2"188176USA U18USDPLuke Hughes at eliteprospects.com8.5B++55
William EklundCenter/Left WingLeftOctober1020025'10"178172DjurgardensSWEDENWilliam Eklund at eliteprospects.com8.5A++55
Brandt ClarkeDefensemanRightFebruary220036'1"185181BarrieOHLBrandt Clarke at eliteprospects.com8.5B++55
Mason McTavishCenter/Left WingLeftJanuary120036'2"188207PeterboroughOHLMason McTavish at eliteprospects.com8B++1010
Kent JohnsonLeft Wing/CenterLeftOctober1020026'1"185165MichiganNCAAKent Johnson at eliteprospects.com8B++1010
Simon EdvinssonDefensemanLeftFebruary220036'4"193185FrolundaSWEDENSimon Edvinsson at eliteprospects.com8.5C++1010
Dylan GuentherLeft WingRightApril420036'1"185170EdmontonWHLDylan Guenther at eliteprospects.com8B++1010
Jesper WallstadtGoalieLeftNovember1120026'3"191214LuleaSWEDENJesper Wallstedt at eliteprospects.com8.5C++1010
Cole SillingerLeft Wing/CenterLeftMay520036'0"183201Medicine HatWHLCole Sillinger at eliteprospects.com8C+1515
Chaz LuciusCenterRightMay520036'0"183172USA U18USDPChaz Lucius at eliteprospects.com8C+1515
Fyodor SvechkovCenter/Right WingLeftApril420036'0"183179TogliattiRUSSIA-2Fyodor Svechkov at eliteprospects.com7.5A++1510
Fabian LysellLeft WingRightJanuary120035'10"178176LuleaSWEDENFabian Lysell at eliteprospects.com8C+1515
Carson LambosDefensemanLeftJanuary120036'1"185201WinnipegWHLCarson Lambos at eliteprospects.com8C+1515
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Local ranking is effectively where they rank in the draft. There will be exactly 5 top 5 guys, another 5 "top 10" guys (6-10), another 5 top 15 guys (11-15), etc. However, global rankings are not that exact, because I use that to compare where they would rank in what I deem an "average" draft. In a top heavy draft, there may be more than 5 top 5 caliber guys, whereas in a weaker draft, there may be less than 5. In chart above, you can see I have 11 top 10 caliber guys even though one (Fedor Svechkov) technically ranked outside of the top 10 in the local draft.

Since you referred to #6 specifically, let's look at two contrasting scenarios:

Scenario 1: There are actually 6 top 5 caliber guys in that draft, or that one of the top 5 teams drafted other guys and there was a guy you thought was top 5 caliber available to you. And then let's say that the quality of prospect around the #15 pick is mostly average, and same with around #28. The question no longer becomes "Would I rather have #6 vs. #15 and #28" rather than "Would I rather have the prospect I can pick at #6, who I have as a top 5 caliber prospect, or what I believe will be an average #15 prospect and an average #28 prospect?" Well the answer is probably going to be you would rather have #6, because a top 5 caliber prospect will likely bring you more value (i.e. they are usually elite players you can't get anywhere else and are extremely rare) than the two prospects you get at #15 and #28.

Scenario 2: The draft is kind of weak up top, and I believe that the quality of prospect I can get at #6 is barely even top 10 quality. However, there is some good depth all the way down to pick #15, and I believe I can get a top 10 quality prospect at that pick too. Well you probably take that #6 for #15 + #28 deal and you get another pick in the 1st round without sacrificing much in terms of prospect quality between #6 and #15 (based on your belief).

Now the the "Based on your belief" part is fairly important for all of this, and these scenarios are very simplified versions of reality. First of all, as I mentioned in my post above, you need a very strong prospect evaluation model and scouting department which can precisely nail down these prospect values. If you can't identify talent, then you have much bigger issues at hand that determining pick values. Secondly, you need another team to compliment your belief; i.e. for you to receive that offer, they believe more in the prospect you can get at your pick than you do. If everyone thinks that guy at #6 is nothing special, you probably don't get that offer in the first place. Fortunately, that is rarely ever the case, and it is simply a matter of finding the right combination of picks to make both teams comfortable with their beliefs. Of course, this same principle applies throughout the entire draft (so that should answer your subsequent questions).

That is why the answer is "it depends" and also why pick value models like that one from 11 years ago do not really work. Unfortunately, that effectively means that there is no static model like you were hoping for. However, subjective probability models are extremely popular and do achieve much of the same result while handling the dynamics of the draft-to-draft variability, and if done correctly, can be done so with limited bias. That is effectively what I am doing, but mine is a lot less formal. I hope to make mine a little bit more formal some day, because it is certainly possible.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Always felt like this chart gives way too much value to late round picks. It basically suggests a few 6th's and 7th's is worth a 1st or 2nd

It is what it is, just a generic reference chart to draft pick values which is what the OP was asking about. I'm sure every team analytics dept have different scales and also context is needed. No one is going to swap a high draft pick for a slew of lower rounds even if the so called numbers work ahead, especially since those late rounders will be spread out over a few years. Who stockpiles a half dozen picks in the last few rounds? I think the idea and what I get from this chart is a rough idea to how a team that doesn't have or want to trade a second pick instead offers a third and say a 5th. At least this gives a rough scale of relative draft pick value for those of us who aren't living it.

As my old company documents used to be water stamped
For Reference Only

Would appreciate anyone else who may have some more inside info on this topic, always fun to discuss draft pick values!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad