Reinstatement of Slava Voynov UPD: suspended for 19-20 season; Arb credits 41 games to suspension

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Maybe, because he'd married her, and their first child was born in 2017 ? (or second, afaik Slava's adopted Marta's daughter) ?

And there was some doubt, actually:
"Voynov wаѕ initially charged with felony corporal injury tо a spouse, аftеr accepting a рlеа deal with prosecutors in whiсh thе felony wаѕ reduced tо a misdemeanor, in part, due tо a biomechanical engineer whо ѕаid Slava’s wife’s injuries appeared tо hаvе bееn thе result оf аn accident."

Yeah because women never stay in abusive relationships ever...oh wait I see it all the time in the news and with people I personally know. I'm sure all that money he has helps too.
Ray Rice knocked his girlfriend out in an elevator and they got married 6 weeks later. I'm sure he changed so much over that time. :rolleyes:

Most of the time the women never report it but in Marta's case she had to go to the hospital since she was bleeding all over the place. Marta herself said she was hit and choked and had finger imprints around her neck at the time as well as bleeding from the head. You can try to spin it any way you want but you will just look foolish.

Per the LA Times:
Voynov’s wife, Marta Varlamova, told police in October 2014 that her husband punched her left jaw outside of a Halloween party. The dispute continued at the couple’s Redondo Beach home, according to the police report, where Voynov choked her with both hands three times, repeatedly pushed her to the ground, kicked her five to six times on the ground and eventually shoved her into the corner of a flat-screen television mounted on a wall.
“My blood, all over bedroom and bathroom,” Varlamova told police in a recorded interview. “And it’s not the first time.”

Last edited:
Reactions: MATTHEWSisGretzky

Olympic curse

May 24, 2018
You can try to spin it any way you want but you will just look foolish.

This is not about spinning off, or justifying his behaviour.
If Voynov is really ready to abandon 4+ mil (after tax btw, which equals approx 6,5+ mil NHL contract) and he surely does understand that in the case of any repeat offence he'll be sent to jail immediately, and still want to play with best of the best, I think somebody should at least consider giving him his second chance.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
This is not about spinning off, or justifying his behaviour.
If Voynov is really ready to abandon 4+ mil (after tax btw, which equals approx 6,5+ mil NHL contract) and he surely does understand that in the case of any repeat offence he'll be sent to jail immediately, and still want to play with best of the best, I think somebody should at least consider giving him his second chance.

Second chance? She said it wasn't even the first time it happened. More like 3rd 4th 5th or who knows how many times hes done this. Besides that fact there are some things in life that don't deserve a second chance, this is one of them.

Ray Rice was blackballed from the NFL and quite frankly what Slava did was worse, it just wasn't recorded.

Reactions: MATTHEWSisGretzky

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
If the charge is dismissed, then does the NHL have any legal basis to keep him out of the league even though he pleaded no contest already?

If the no contest still holds up, then does the NHL have any legal rules for how it treats reinstatement?

Seems like this may be something that legally the NHL might have to submit to even if they don't want to.

The NHL is never going to permanently ban him. It's just a question of what sort of discipline the NHL will impose once he reestablishes work visas necessary to be employed as an NHL player. The NHL does not require a legal conviction to discipline a player.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
The NHL is never going to permanently ban him. It's just a question of what sort of discipline the NHL will impose once he reestablishes work visas necessary to be employed as an NHL player. The NHL does not require a legal conviction to discipline a player.

And as a previous poster said, He won't be banner for life, but will he be blackballed like Ray Rice was? I don't think he will since he plays an important position.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
And as a previous poster said, He won't be banner for life, but will he be blackballed like Ray Rice was? I don't think he will since he plays an important position.

If you go by the technical definition Ray Rice wasn’t actually blackballed, though I know what you mean. If Rice were a few years younger someone would have signed him.

I doubt Voynov would have a problem getting an NHL job, though there will certainly be some teams with no interest in him for the PR reasons.

Last edited:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
From the article: "He is on the Voluntary Retirement List"

That's one nugget of information I don't recall seeing reported back in 2015.
The fine print that was required for him to earn millions in the motherland and win Olympic gold while serving his 'punishment'.

pabst blue ribbon

🇺🇦🤝🇵🇱
Oct 26, 2015
PG
This thread reeks of the morally superior casting eternal judgment on Voynov.

So, no second chances in life?

Is that the standard you want others to hold you to as well?

Or no second chance for Voynov, but maybe just for you should you make a bad mistake?
Screenshot_20180621_101721.jpg

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Or no second chance for Voynov, but maybe just for you should you make a bad mistake?

After reading the details of the crime, it's really hard to want to give him a second chance.

Second chances are meant when you make personal mistakes, not when you physically harm another person.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
All I know is that I don't want to work on the PR or social media department of whichever team signs him.
Sadly in many markets it will barely be a blip. Unless some national groups get involved to stir it up over and over
Which is why I think if he gets over the hurdles la might just keep him Which I'm really torn over I'm ok with second chances but would prefer it to be elsewhere Just due to the potential distraction in the room

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
All I know is that I don't want to work on the PR or social media department of whichever team signs him.
I mean it's an easy thing to do. He makes a big donation to a victim(women) of abuse charity, says he's not the person he was, yadda yadda yadda, did anger management, counseling, etc.
He's changed and wants to help stop it from happening to another person....

Give it a month or two and everyone will forget about it.
Because he's put forward an effort to help "stop it"

Regardless if it BS or not, that's what will happen.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Roberto Osuna of the Jays was just suspended for 75 games, which is 46% of the MLB season, so in NHL games that would be 37 games.

Some differences, Voynov pleaded no contest, while Osuna is going to plead not guilty, no word yet on what MLB would do as far as a suspension if he was to be convicted. Also Voynov has already been suspended indefinitely since the incident happened.

I think as others have said, Voynov will be allowed back following a 25-41 game suspension if he does all the necessary PR steps such as a press conference apology as well as a substantial donation to some kind of domestic abuse cause or charity.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Second chances are meant when you make personal mistakes, not when you physically harm another person.
Why? If someone mugged me or something, I wouldn't want them to be in jail for the rest of their life or banned from certain employment opportunities. I'd want to see them given an opportunity to make amends and pay their debt to society and ultimately be reformed.

An enlightened society/person isn't vindictive.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Why? If someone mugged me or something, I wouldn't want them to be in jail for the rest of their life or banned from certain employment opportunities. I'd want to see them given an opportunity to make amends and pay their debt to society and ultimately be reformed.

An enlightened society/person isn't vindictive.
He isn't entitled to an NHL job just because he is given another chance in society and with other employment opportunities. And an employer isn't entitled to ignore his potential character issues when deciding whether or not he deserves to be on their payroll.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
He isn't entitled to an NHL job just because he is given another chance in society and with other employment opportunities. And an employer isn't entitled to ignore his potential character issues when deciding whether or not he deserves to be on their payroll.
I didn't say otherwise.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Pass, whichever teams him up will have a PR nightmare on their hands. Can't imagine it'd be good for the locker room

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

I wouldn't want to root for a team that signs him.

As to the moral superiority thing, it is one thing, in a fit of rage to do something to someone, a lot of people have been there, a lot of people are in prison for that moment they "lost control". It is quite another for 20 minutes plus to do what Voynov did. And of course there is zero chance it was the first time.

I don't know how, as a fan of the team that hired him, you could openly cheer when he did something good.

Pass, whichever teams him up will have a PR nightmare on their hands. Can't imagine it'd be good for the locker room

Can you imagine the wife's and girlfriends room?

Look Up

Don't be a scan tool
Oct 3, 2013
Got it. Who gets to judge the severity of the offence whether a person should be banished? Is there a cheat sheet for this scaring for life that you use?

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

OK, first off, yes, presuming that the people in this thread are not domestic abusers, they are morally superior to Voynov, and in that regard are entirely justified in assessing Voynov's moral character. Let's start there.

Second chances? Sure, second chances are fine, but they should never be granted just because awful people want them. If Voynov wants a second chance, he needs to do a hell of a lot more work to publicly rehabilitate his image and display both contrition and an understanding of why his actions are reprehensible.

Even then, nothing about that entitles him to any particular second chance, nor does it require me to be willing to support him in his efforts. If the NHL says no, you may not play in this league, that is entirely within their rights. If the US says no, you may not return to this country, as surprised as I'd be, they'd be entirely within their rights. If Canada says no, we will not issue you a work visa, they too are free to make that determination. If Slava Voynov ends up a Flyer, I will become a Capitals fan (and, for that matter, will cancel my contract with Comcast as soon as I live in a location where doing so is feasible) as I do not want my money to go to supporting him in any way, shape, or form. They can make whatever decision they see fit with regard to him, but I have every right to do the same, as does anyone else.

As to your last point, yes. If I do something horrifying on the same level or worse, I would also not be deserving of a second chance until I truly changed, and spent enough time proving it to earn the trust of the people who I was asking to give me that chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->