Reinhart or Garland?

Reinhart or Garland for 9th overall?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Garland had a higher PPG last year, has a more well rounded game, will come at a lower cap hit, and is (slightly) younger.

Higher PPG off 49 games and playing with way better players and not on a complete dumpster fire like Buffalo. The sample size for Garland is significantly smaller than Reinhart.

You can't just compare one statistic and say "Garland has a higher X, therefore he's a better player". There are several other factors that come into play.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Higher PPG off 49 games and playing with way better players and not on a complete dumpster fire like Buffalo. The sample size for Garland is significantly smaller than Reinhart.

You can't just compare one statistic and say "Garland has a higher X, therefore he's a better player". There are several other factors that come into play.
Reinhart was an awful target from the beginning. He would be a nightmare in the locker room

Reactions: SantosLHalpar

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Mmm might prefer Reinhart in a vacuum but Garland is younger, cheaper and only slightly less productive.
My feelings exactly. Reinhart is a better player generally, but given the composition of the Canucks, Garland seems like the better fit, and is cheaper in terms of cap hit. Canucks need play driving complementary wingers.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Can't vote without knowing what Reinhart is asking for contract wise. Also, this is a bit of an apples to orange comparison given that the trade involved the Canucks moving 3 bad contracts in one fell swoop.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Looking forward to Garland here another guy with that wont quit hard to play against edge with skill add at a very good cap cost.

Reactions: SniperHF

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I think in isolation I would take Garland due to age and likely contract but he obviously comes with a 50 million dollar asterisk in OEL and as much as I’d like to you can really separate the two. Trading the 9 straight up for Reinhart would have been the better move.

Sinistril

Oct 26, 2008

Az is also a dumpster fire

LogicalOrca

Jul 25, 2021
Wow, I did not expect everyone to pick Garland. I thought Reinhart did pretty well last year when Eichel went down and though it would be a mixed poll. He's also more proven then Garland

If Reinhart was good as the nerds say, then why did Jet Black let a chump GM with 200 less IQ than him trade for him for less? Stats are overrated, nobody who's cool cares about numbers. Garland all day, every day.

Jim should have traded 2 additional 1st rounders for Garland just to show the world how good he is, but doesn't to give other GM's a chance at the greatness that he himself embodies. What a merciful GM!

GreatSaveLuongo

May 4, 2009
Garland any day, but the true question is could we only pursued Garland only instead of Garland with OEL...

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I want to choose option C, "none of the above/something else", personally. Obviously i have no way of knowing how the details of it all shook out, and what was actually feasible with players, agents, preferred destinations, etc. But specifically, that Buchnevich trade looks tasty, and is something i would've preferred over either of Garland or Reinhart. Obviously the logistics of that would've been extremely complicated because of the integration with the OEL package...but if we're living in a fantasy world where a Reinhart deal was available in that context, i would've clearly preferred Buchnevich as the target in that similar/arguably more comparable "value range", over either of Garland/Reinhart.

As it stands in this question though, all things considered...i like Garland as the better fit. Reinhart is going to come in heavy on the $$$, and is not at all the type of forward we really needed. A soft, offensive minutes and powerplay padding "luxury winger" ain't what this team needed to fill out the Top-6, and there's zero point to acquiring a guy like Reinhart to play Center here. He'd have been clearly behind Pete and Bo, and not at all suited to a role playing down the lineup like that.

Garland, i'm not as high on as a lot of people seem to be...but he is at least the right type of player to potentially fit in as a guy who won't get prime top-line/#1PP Unit time fed to him in heaps. He has a lot more jam to his game, and at least potentially could be the type to be productive in less than prime "2nd line" type minutes, and probably working a bit on his own with a 2nd PP Unit that isn't going to see huge minutes or particularly talented linemates around him. And at a lower cost, especially after you consider whatever the difference in sticker prices ends up looking like, in the context of "Vancouver vs Florida taxes".

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

I think you should probably examine that, "way better talent" that Garland played with. Arizona in general, is round abouts as much of a dumpster fire as Buffalo in a lot of ways. But specifically, when it comes to linemates...in Arizona, who are the "way better players"? Keller is the only real forward linemate of truly high calibre note to my eye. And Garland played more than two thirds of his icetime away from him. Whereas in Buffalo, despite their futility and dysfunction as a team...Reinhart still played the vast majority of his substantial icetime with at least one of Eichel/Hall/Olofsson on the ice, including oodles of top unit powerplay time with various combinations thereof.

There are things that i'm not altogether sold on with Garland. The relatively small sample among them. But in that sample, being "carried" or having numbers "inflated" by vastly superior linemates or prime minutes is not really among the concerns for me. Even assuming Garland ends up playing with Horvat and Hoglander as widely projected...that'll be a solid upgrade in regular linemates from Schmaltz as his primary center. The "inflated numbers playing with offensive dynamos on a bad team" red flag, is flapping all over Reinhart so far as i can tell. Not Garland.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
No question I take Garland every day and twice on Sundays.

That said I don't think he's the first line player many think he is. Neither is Reinhart. Garland has more to his game.

I think Reinhart and Garland's offensive production suggest that they are first line players. Regardless we're not paying Garland elite first line winger money. He makes less than Boeser and will make less than Boeser going forward.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Garland for me, and that has nothing to do that he's the newest Canuck. Reinhart I find is a little overrated, and supposedly has extreme attitude issues. Garland although a smaller player, plays much bigger than his size would suggest. A little sparkplug who skates great, is a good playmaker, and can score. His attitude already since being traded to Vancouver seems to be highly contagious in a positive way. His energy is exactly what we needed, and I am very stoked that the Canucks have him, to perfectly round out our top 6. Our forward group is amazing this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->