Reimer's wife is starting a campaign against cyber bullying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Exactly. There's an XKCD comic that I won't link to because of naughty words, but it explains things nicely. The alt-text on that comic is my favorite:

"defending a position by citing free speech is sort of the ultimate concession; you're saying that the most compelling thing you can say for your position is that it's not literally illegal to express."

Fantastic. :handclap:

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Exactly. There's an XKCD comic that I won't link to because of naughty words, but it explains things nicely. The alt-text on that comic is my favorite:

"defending a position by citing free speech is sort of the ultimate concession; you're saying that the most compelling thing you can say for your position is that it's not literally illegal to express."

Welp, I think that's end of the thread.

Seriously though, that's brilliant.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Freedom of expression :naughty: if you don't like it then tell your husband to retire simple as that. Being an NHL goalie is one of the most high pressure jobs out there and it's what he signed up for. If he can't handle it and repeatedly lets leafs fans down, then he should just stop playing. No millionaire couple is getting my sympathy especially one who for the most part deserves all the criticism :laugh:

In Canada and the United States, there are laws limiting freedom of expression. That's why there are laws against things like hate speech and harassment.

Nobody in any job, no matter how poorly he may perform, deserves to receive death threats, and his wife also doesn't deserve death threats because some strangers believe that his job performance is somehow lacking.

Reimer signed up for a high-pressure job, yes, but he didn't sign up to receive death threats or revoke his or his wife's rights to be treated with basic human dignity.

He should not stop playing just because he and his wife have received death threats from fans who are deluded enough to believe that hockey is important enough to threaten to kill people over. A bunch of lunatics should not be given the power to dictate this man's life.

I'm sorry you can't feel any sympathy for rich people, but I think it's cruel to not feel compassion for people based solely on their income, whether that income is more or less than yours.

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
To the last few posters^ how would you like it if I find your families/friends/whoever you care about's phone number and start calling them with death threats? Just saying.

Oh no problem, "freedom of expression" blah blah durrrrrrrr

As for the "can't take the heat, get out if the kitchen", the tools making these posts/threats aren't in the "kitchen", they're hiding behind a keyboard and threatening a Woman

Talk about gutless

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
April Reimer is literally going to do nothing to stop cyber bullying. If she wants to use the free time she's afforded by her husband's millions for good, she should invest her energy in helping the poor.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
In Canada and the United States, there are laws limiting freedom of expression. That's why there are laws against things like hate speech and harassment.

Nobody in any job, no matter how poorly he may perform, deserves to receive death threats, and his wife also doesn't deserve death threats because some strangers believe that his job performance is somehow lacking.

Reimer signed up for a high-pressure job, yes, but he didn't sign up to receive death threats or revoke his or his wife's rights to be treated with basic human dignity.

He should not stop playing just because he and his wife have received death threats from fans who are deluded enough to believe that hockey is important enough to threaten to kill people over. A bunch of lunatics should not be given the power to dictate this man's life.

I'm sorry you can't feel any sympathy for rich people, but I think it's cruel to not feel compassion for people based solely on their income, whether that income is more or less than yours.

Bang on.

Is it sad that I fully expected this thread to go in this direction? :facepalm:

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
It's unfortunate that those keyboard warriors will probably never be found.

Seeing the look of pants ******** fear on their faces as Reimer tells them to repeat what they said to his wife to his face would be brilliant.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

Its about common sense though. When you are a celebrity the privilege of anonymity is gone. Don't like the negative attention? Don't make yourself accessible via a google search, for one.

It would be great if we could start a campaign that just made everyone nice people but I don't have to tell you how naive that is.

April Reimer isn't the only wife of a crappy goalie. She's the only one we hear about though.

Ally22

Jul 3, 2013
Anonymity allows cowards to feel brave.

Yup. It's really unfortunate :shakehead Though it says in the article that the police were able to find those responsible so hopefully they learn the consequences of their thoughtless actions. Good for April though for doing something about it.

mattcookefan

Nov 6, 2013
Matt Cooke's house
April Reimer is literally going to do nothing to stop cyber bullying. If she wants to use the free time she's afforded by her husband's millions for good, she should invest her energy in helping the poor.

yeah because the poor don't already have enough help. why work towards a cause that personally affects you when you can ignore it and do what everybody else does?

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Bang on.

It was expected, unfortunately. I hate this capitalistic society where we have to find a way to tie our feelings about someone to their ****ing wealth? You people do realize money can't buy happiness, right? :shakehead

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
This thread should be a pretty good microcosm for the issue.

Internet anonymity is going to come to end someday, the internet is being reigned in more and more. If I was a hockey player in Toronto I would buy a cabin by lake with no internet and just not pay any attention to these 'gutless pukes'.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Bang on.

No it's not sad because it was totally expected. The thread we had in one of the other forums on GamerGate made it clear there's a substantial population on this board who empathize with this culture of internet harassment by computer-dwelling losers.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Its about common sense though. When you are a celebrity the privilege of anonymity is gone. Don't like the negative attention? Don't make yourself accessible via a google search, for one.

It would be great if we could start a campaign that just made everyone nice people but I don't have to tell you how naive that is.

April Reimer isn't the only wife of a crappy goalie. She's the only one we hear about though.

I think common sense is an excuse to victim blame, honestly, and almost anyone can be found online if people search hard enough.

No campaign is ever going to make everybody be nice to one another all the time, but if this campaign makes some of people stop cyber-bullying than it's justified itself to me. Just as a food pantry is still useful even if it doesn't feed all the hungry, or an animal shelter is good even if it can't rescue all animals in need. Not being able to fix the entirety of a major problem shouldn't stop people from wanting to fix a little of it.

Perhaps April is the only wife of a "crappy" goalie to receive death threats, or maybe she's the only one who isn't afraid of speaking out. I don't know, but I see nothing wrong with her advocating for herself and other victims of cyber-bullying.

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
Most people are not smart enough to mask their IP.

Step 1: Trace IP.
Step 2: Show up at their front door.
Step 3: Confront and accuse them with physical proof of their transgressions.
Step 4: Follow through with a punch to the face.
Step 5: Profit!!!!
Problem solved.

Or...

Step 1: Trace IP.
Step 2: Show up at their front door with paid/unpaid muscle.
Step 3: Confront and accuse them with physical proof of their transgressions.
Step 4: Have your paid/unpaid muscle punch them in the face while saying, and I quote from The Big Lebowski, "This is what happens, when you ******* a stranger in the ass."
Step 5: Profit!!!

Joking aside, people act like something can't be done to stop cyber bullying. I'm tired of the p*ssy-footing done by so many people. If you don't like something, BE PROACTIVE. However, take that with a grain of salt. Be proactive within the realm of morality and rationality (yes, I'm aware this contradicts my above listing). Crying on YouTube or to your friends does nothing. To be completely honest, if you have the resources to trace the IP of some of these mouthbreathers and also possess indisputable evidence that they are in fact sending you death threats, then you should probably get the authorities involved. It's really not that hard.

Internet anonymity is not real. It's a facade.

Also, sure, cyber-bullying may be exhausting, overwhelming, upsetting, whatever, but at the end of the day you just have to laugh about it. Getting all ******** and making YouTube videos about the potential negativity cyber-bullying brings forth does nothing but fuels the fire for these fools.

They know they got to you. They win. You lose. GG. No rematch. You have done nothing to better the situation.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Honeslty she's just doing this for fame...

Yeah, that makes sense. Bring awareness to a problem that will only encourage more cowards to attack you, and the motive for doing it to be more popular.

Good one.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Really wish all the cowards hiding behind their keyboards were held more accountable for what they say. I'm embarrassed as a Leafs fan and hockey fan that people would attack a players wife. Were these people not taught as youngsters that women are off limits in general? embarrassing.

NYRangerFan*

Embarassing that people get so worked up over a sport that they would insult a guys wife, family member, kid, etc. Just disgusting

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

Seriously? At least she's trying to do a good cause, unlike you. She has free time because of husband millions? :help:

You could also invest your energy in helping the poor instead of using your extra time trolling HFBoards. If you're going to criticize, it better be a damn good reason which you don't have.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Or how about anti-bullying? This **** needs to stop.

Sure. Just like ****, violence, theft, and other crimes need to stop.

If I walk in a bad neighborhood late at night and get mugged and beaten, should I start a campaign about bad people in bad neighborhoods being bad? It might highlight that people can be bad but its not going to stop other people late at night from getting mugged. It would be a futile and foolish effort.

Twitter in this instance is the bad neighborhood late at night. There is no way to control these people. Just to protect yourself against them.

Its naive to think that a campaign like this will do anything. Like others have stated, the real problem is the anonymity of the internet. If your comments can be traced back to a name perhaps people will be a bit more careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad