Reimer's wife is starting a campaign against cyber bullying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nei1ey*

I hope they catch the scum bags that send her death threats. Seriously? over a game. :shakehead

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
Makes me wonder at what point in time will people have to atone for the things they say to others on the internet.

Good for them, though. The fact that people actually speak like that to another is disgusting.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I don't want to cheer the same team as people who tweet that crap at Reimer..his wife...or anybody.

Grow the **** up. It's a game.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
Makes me wonder at what point in time will people have to atone for the things they say to others on the internet.

Good for them, though. The fact that people actually speak like that to another is disgusting.

Anonymity allows cowards to feel brave.

GFiP*

All this is going to do is feed the trolls. They got what they wanted, attention.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
The unfortunate reality is that cyber bullying will always exist. What April Reimer has to endure is disgusting and despicable, but when people have the opportunity to vent their angers over an online medium with no repercussions you can bet they will take it. Funny thing is, these are the same people that would fawn over Reimer for autographs if they saw him in person and ask for pictures, etc. The best solution would be to ignore it all but when it starts to transcend to phone calls and the like, I think the police may need to start getting involved.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Nobody would have blamed her for just deleting her Twitter account and changing her phone number and trying to forget the whole thing happened. Good for her for trying to do something about it.

Tacos

Wheeeee
Feb 26, 2012
In no way is this indicative of Leafs fans as a whole, we all have bad apples in each of our fanbases and good on the Reimers for bringing these people to the attention of the law and ensuring that they know their actions have real life consequences

Xamar*

Freedom of expression :naughty: if you don't like it then tell your husband to retire simple as that. Being an NHL goalie is one of the most high pressure jobs out there and it's what he signed up for. If he can't handle it and repeatedly lets leafs fans down, then he should just stop playing. No millionaire couple is getting my sympathy especially one who for the most part deserves all the criticism :laugh:

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Good for her to do this! Cyber-bullying is a severe problem that can emotionally and mentally scar people, so I applaud her for trying to end it. She's showing a lot more courage than the cowards who resort to cyber-bullying her and others.

As far as the death threats go, I'm appalled that there are some people out there who take hockey seriously enough to talk about taking lives over it. It's a sport, not a life or death issue. But the only Leaf fans who should be ashamed of the death threats are those who sent them. All the other Leaf fans have nothing in common with those lunatics except cheering for the same team, and there are always some fans with loose screws in every fan base. So I hope innocent Leaf fans don't beat themselves up over this.

Kyle93

Mar 30, 2012
To the last few posters^ how would you like it if I find your families/friends/whoever you care about's phone number and start calling them with death threats? Just saying.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Freedom of expression :naughty: if you don't like it then tell your husband to retire simple as that. Being an NHL goalie is one of the most high pressure jobs out there and it's what he signed up for. If he can't handle it and repeatedly lets leafs fans down, then he should just stop playing. No millionaire couple is getting my sympathy especially one who for the most part deserves all the criticism :laugh:

Freedom of expression has to do with whether or not a government can punish citizens for what they say.

It has nothing to do with calling out pimply-faced neckbeards living in their mom's basements who like to play keyboard commando.

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
In the beginning of the video, Reimer's wife says the objective of the campaign is to, "...protect kids, adults,..."

She pronounced adults as... 'add-ults'.

I pronounce it 'uh-dults'.

How does HFB pronounce it?

She speaks funny.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
To the last few posters^ how would you like it if I find your families/friends/whoever you care about's phone number and start calling them with death threats? Just saying.

I would tell them to lay low, get the hell off social media to start!

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Freedom of expression has to do with whether or not a government can punish citizens for what they say.

It has nothing to do with calling out pimply-faced neckbeards living in their mom's basements who like to play keyboard commando.

Exactly. There's an XKCD comic that I won't link to because of naughty words, but it explains things nicely. The alt-text on that comic is my favorite:

"defending a position by citing free speech is sort of the ultimate concession; you're saying that the most compelling thing you can say for your position is that it's not literally illegal to express."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad