Proposal: Reimer Reason: OTT + CAR

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
His cap hit is 3.4 million, but he'll be making only 850k in real money... so I think he's an ideal goalie for the cash strapped Sens in need of reaching the cap floor

The hope would be he has a solid first half of the season, and then can be flipped at the deadline for an additional pick/prospect

James Reimer is not the ideal goalie for any term

Reactions: 5 Hole

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Posters here don't seem to appreciate the 6 million in immediate cap space this trade gives Carolina...

You don’t seem to appreciate the fact that CAR is not in any immediate need of such cap space. Certainly not in need enough to throw away 13OA, a pick they basically bought.

What a sane GM would likely do:

Trade Reimer for a mid round pick

Trade Gardiner for an underperforming player from another team, 1-1, or hold onto him. If a D of his caliber is on your 3rd pair, it’s a luxury. Give him a chance to play himself out of the funk, which he was doing, to recoup value to your team or trade value.

Pick BPA at 13OA = profit

What your proposal suggests CAR do:

Lose a trade very badly

Last edited:

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
You don’t seem to appreciate the fact that CAR is not in any immediate need of such cap space. Certainly not in need enough to throw away 13OA, a pick they basically bought.

If I were running the Canes, I'd rather have cap space than be stuck with Gardiner...

If you would do things differently, that's fine...

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He's only got 1 year left on his deal, and the Sens are rebuilding... I think he's a great fit for the interim

I'd target Matt Murray, he's only 26 and he's aproven winner.

James Reimer does nothing for them he's to inconsistent and injury prone

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
His cap hit is 3.4 million, but he'll be making only 850k in real money... so I think he's an ideal goalie for the cash strapped Sens in need of reaching the cap floor

The hope would be he has a solid first half of the season, and then can be flipped at the deadline for an additional pick/prospect
If the Canucks can’t sign Markstrom I could see Benning being very interested in Reimer, who could platoon (be the 1b) with Demko.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I’m not a Canes fan but I assume the team would rather Nilsson.
Hogberg actually has value he isnt just a throw in. Sens would much rather deal Nilsson im sure. But that wouldnt make sense for Carolina. Id do this original deal from the sens perspective. Melnyk just wont to it but its exactly the type of trade the sens should be doing to weaponize their cap space.

If you want Zaitsev or Boro included to get the deal done they are yours.

Are those 2 good enough? yhe answer is no
For right now they are fine, they gotta figure out what Hogberg is, he has been developing well. They arent winning anything this season and goalies are going to he had for cheap next season before expansion. Doesnt take a rocket scientist to look at Ottawa's situation and realize what approach they should be taking.

Once they see what Hogberg is they can approach expansion next year either trading for a goalie that will be exposed or protect Hogberg and run with him.

The deal makes sense for the sens because both Nilsson and Reimers deals expire at the end of next season.

Last edited:

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Hogberg actually has value he isnt just a throw in. Sens would much rather deal Nilsson im sure. But that wouldnt make sense for Carolina. Id do this original deal from the sens perspective. Melnyk just wont to it but its exactly the type of trade the sens should be doing to weaponize their cap space.

If you want Zaitsev or Boro included to get the deal done they are yours.

For right now they are fine, they gotta figure out what Hogberg is, he has been developing well. They arent winning anything this season and goalies are going to he had for cheap next season before expansion. Doesnt take a rocket scientist to look at Ottawa's situation and realize what approach they should be taking.

Once they see what Hogberg is they can approach expansion next year either trading for a goalie that will be exposed or protect Hogberg and run with him.

The deal makes sense for the sens because both Nilsson and Reimers deals expire at the end of next season.

I know Hogberg has value. But the Canes aren’t rebuilding so that’s why I assume they’d rather have Nilsson back instead.

Although if the Sens and Canes do a trade, it’d be more Nilsson for Reimer trade then the OP’s trade idea.

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014
Of course Ottawa doesn't have interest in Gardiner's contract... but they reluctantly take it on in order to land the 13th pick, plus an upgrade in net
I'm not sure if Ottawa is willing to take that contract even for 13 (Melnyk problems) but imagine they got 13 and walked out of the draft with

Stutzle 3
Drysdale 5
Askarov 13

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'm not sure if Ottawa is willing to take that contract even for 13 (Melnyk problems) but imagine they got 13 and walked out of the draft with

Stutzle 3
Drysdale 5
Askarov 13

The problem with that line of thinking is that Carolina hasn't had long term stability in goal since 11/12 Cam Ward. That type of stability usually comes from the draft, so if Askarov is available at #13, then why would Carolina trade the pick?

Cap space isn't an issue both short term and long as a lot of contracts come off the books in a year and they have room this year. If cost savings" during Covid is the answer, then short term, buy out Gardiner for $1.4M in real $$ this year, keep Reimer who is only owed $850K so a total of $2.65M in real cash. The deal in the OP had $1.5M in real dollars with Reilly coming back so it's ~$1M in savings this year over buying out Gardiner and keeping Reimer and drafting the goalie of the future.

Point being is that there are other options than giving up a 13th OA pick for the Canes to choose from.

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014
The problem with that line of thinking is that Carolina hasn't had long term stability in goal since 11/12 Cam Ward. That type of stability usually comes from the draft, so if Askarov is available at #13, then why would Carolina trade the pick?

Cap space isn't an issue both short term and long as a lot of contracts come off the books in a year and they have room this year. If cost savings" during Covid is the answer, then short term, buy out Gardiner for $1.4M in real $$ this year, keep Reimer who is only owed $850K so a total of $2.65M in real cash. The deal in the OP had $1.5M in real dollars with Reilly coming back so it's ~$1M in savings this year over buying out Gardiner and keeping Reimer and drafting the goalie of the future.

Point being is that there are other options than giving up a 13th OA pick for the Canes to choose from.
Yeah I don't think it's the best move for the canes or likely to happen just a what if.

The only thing I would say is that even though Askarov is projected to be great he's probably 2-3 years away at the earliest..

If the canes did move Gardiner they'd be open to going after Markstrom/Lehner/Murray etc
Would have to be a straight contract dump though

They could shore up the goaltending immediately

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Why does everyone keep saying Ottawa needs a goalie?

We have two. We aren't planning on winning anything. Might as well try Nilsson and Hogberg out. Reimer isn't going to be a long-term solution, so why bother?

Reactions: 6stringmofo

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Yeah I don't think it's the best move for the canes or likely to happen just a what if.

The only thing I would say is that even though Askarov is projected to be great he's probably 2-3 years away at the earliest..

True, but most of their players are pretty young and when you consider the age of key players when teams win the cup, those teams usually have an older core. Canes key guys are still young:

Svechnikov: 20
Aho: 23
Teravainen: 26 (just turned 26 a few days ago)
Necas: 21
Hamilton: 27
Trochek: 26
McGinn: 26
Slavin: 26
Pesce: 25
Foegele: 24
Fleury: 24
Skjei: 26
Geekie: 22
Bean: 22

Older guys:
Martinook: 28
Neiderreitter: 28
Gardiner: 30
Staal: 32

The only 1 of the older guys of any significance is Staal and he's been pretty much relegated to a checking 3rd line C now. Their core, IMO, is still a couple years away.

If the canes did move Gardiner they'd be open to going after Markstrom/Lehner/Murray etc
Would have to be a straight contract dump though

They could shore up the goaltending immediately

True, but not at the cost of #13 OA. Go for a 1-2 year fix at a reasonable cost, draft Askarov if he's BPA (although I'm not sure he'll be there) and potentially be set both short and long term.

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Why does everyone keep saying Ottawa needs a goalie?

We have two. We aren't planning on winning anything. Might as well try Nilsson and Hogberg out. Reimer isn't going to be a long-term solution, so why bother?

Every team has 2 goalies that doesn't mean there aren't teans that need a goalie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad