Proposal: Reimer Reason: OTT + CAR

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I disagree...

Reimer is owed only 850k this season in real money

Gardiner is signed to 3 more seasons at a 4 million cap hit, and is coming off a year in which he was -24
Erik Gudbranson was a -27, earning $4million with a smaller cap ceiling and returned Tanner Pearson.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Erik Gudbranson was a -27, earning $4million with a smaller cap ceiling and returned Tanner Pearson.

Pearson had 9 goals, 15 points in 61 games when he was traded for Gudbranson...

And Pearson's cap hit was almost 4 million

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Mostly. I don’t think Zaitsev is as bad as the shit he gets (perhaps contract length) but I agree

I wasn't being critical of Zaitsev, just pointing out that if Hamilton and Pesce are on the roster, he becomes an expensive 3rd pairing RD...

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
I think you missed the point that that poster doesn’t think highly of Zaitsev and Boro is a UFA that’s probably not going back to Ottawa even at league minimum.

Perhaps so...

I thought he was taking a shot at my assessment of things

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Perhaps so...

I thought he was taking a shot at my assessment of things

Well maybe that too. But when it comes to trade proposals try to make them beneficial for both teams. Even if it might be a stretch*.

*Sabres and Flyers do a Mittelstadt for Patrick swap. Neither team would do it but Mitts might grow with the Flyers organization and Patrick might get over his health problems and be a 2C/3C tweener for the Sabres. Neither team does it (mostly Flyers side) but at least that proposal makes sense to some degree.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
To Ottawa: #13, Gardiner, Reimer

To Carolina: #95, Mike Reilly

Ottawa get the 13 pick in a strong draft, plus a solid goaltender whose base salary is only 850k next season, and who can hopefully be flipped at the deadline for an additional pick/prospect. Gardiner will be off the books by the time the players drafted this year will be due for extensions

Carolina dump Gardiner's contract, get a solid replacement for a year in Reilly, plus clear approx. 6 million in cap space for next season. That 6 million in cap space could be used to sign a #1 goaltender like Markstrom
You have cornered the market on bad Carolina proposals.

Reactions: GIN ANTONIC

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Well maybe that too. But when it comes to trade proposals try to make them beneficial for both teams. Even if it might be a stretch*.

*Sabres and Flyers do a Mittelstadt for Patrick swap. Neither team would do it but Mitts might grow with the Flyers organization and Patrick might get over his health problems and be a 2C/3C tweener for the Sabres. Neither team does it (mostly Flyers side) but at least that proposal makes sense to some degree.

IMO, I do...

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
IMO, if Carolina wants to get Gardiner off their payroll - something I would certainly want to do if I were them - it would likely cost them the 13th pick if they weren't taking back salary in the deal

So, the trade breaks down as...

Gardiner + #13 = neutral value

Reimer = Reilly + #95

And with the Canes clearing 6 million in cap, that money can be used to sign a goaltender like Markstrom...

#13, Gardiner, Reimer for #95, Reilly, Markstrom

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
IMO, if Carolina wants to get Gardiner off their payroll - something I would certainly want to do if I were them - it would likely cost them the 13th pick if they weren't taking back salary in the deal

Reimer = Reilly + #95

And with the Canes clearing 6 million in cap, that money can be used to sign a goaltender like Markstrom...

If it is true that it will cost #13 to get rid of Gardiner, the Canes will hold onto Gardiner.

There’s no urgent need to unload Gardiner immediately. They are more likely to see if he plays his way to value this year or move him for a similar forward.

Carolina can just move Reimer and have the cap space to go after a UFA goalie or trade for a goalie.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
If it is true that it will cost #13 to get rid of Gardiner, the Canes will hold onto Gardiner.

There’s no urgent need to unload Gardiner immediately. They are more likely to see if he plays his way to value this year or move him for a similar forward.

Carolina can just move Reimer and have the cap space to go after a UFA goalie or trade for a goalie.

I'm only sharing what I would do... I'm not saying Carolina needs to do anything

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
And that’s why you wouldn’t last long as an NHL GM: giving away valuable picks to dump contracts you don’t need to dump.

I wouldn't sign players to bad contracts to begin with, so I'd last longer than you think...

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
IMO, I do...

You really don’t. Say for instance Gardiner (500K retained) + 3rd for Laaksonen, Kukkonen, [insert young defenseman thrown down the road that isn’t Samuelsson or Johnson] or Ruotsalainen (or forward that isn’t Pekar or Mitts or Thompson or Cozens) might be something both teams look at.

Carolina doesn’t want Risto or Montour or Miller (maybe Jokiharju but the Sabres aren’t trading him) because he does nothing for them.

If Carolina wants to do Necas for Mitts, or add a 2nd to Mitts on the Sabres end, then cool. It “works” for both teams. But even if it works on paper it makes no sense because both teams are happy where they are.

That being said I’d fire Mitts into the sun with Hutton just to get someone back that can be a 1B or 2A goalie

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
You really don’t. Say for instance Gardiner (500K retained) + 3rd for Laaksonen, Kukkonen, [insert young defenseman thrown down the road that isn’t Samuelsson or Johnson] or Ruotsalainen (or forward that isn’t Pekar or Mitts or Thompson or Cozens) might be something both teams look at.

Carolina doesn’t want Risto or Montour or Miller (maybe Jokiharju but the Sabres aren’t trading him) because he does nothing for them.

If Carolina wants to do Necas for Mitts, or add a 2nd to Mitts on the Sabres end, then cool. It “works” for both teams. But even if it works on paper it makes no sense because both teams are happy where they are.

That being said I’d fire Mitts into the sun with Hutton just to get someone back that can be a 1B or 2A goalie

I disagree...

Johniac

Jul 18, 2011
North Carolina

Reimer = Reilly + #95

So you are proposing a middle first round pick, an NHL caliber goalie and an NHL caliber defenseman for Reilly (who is a career -14 by the way), a third round pick and the supposed need to be relieved of Gardiner's cap hit? You can do better with your proposals than that, Disagree all you like.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
So you are proposing a middle first round pick, an NHL caliber goalie and an NHL caliber defenseman for Reilly (who is a career -14 by the way), a third round pick and the supposed need to be relieved of Gardiner's cap hit? You can do better with your proposals than that, Disagree all you like.

Subban is an NHL caliber defenseman... that doesn't mean he has positive trade value, or that teams want him on their roster at his current cap hit

Mike Reilly was only -8 last season, despite playing 20 minutes a game for a team that was 30th in goals against

Gardiner (who is -15 for his career, by the way) was -24 last season playing under 17 minutes a game. The 2nd worst on the team was a -7

Posters here don't seem to appreciate the 6 million in immediate cap space this trade gives Carolina...

The trade is #13, Gardiner, Reimer for #95, Reilly, and a 6 million dollar player

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Couple of problems here

1. Ottawa has no need for another goalie, they already have Nilsson and Hogberg.

2. Gardiner has a 7 team NTC. Ottawa might be on it. Not to mention, Ottawa may not have interest in Gardiner’s contract.

Ottawa absolutely needs another goalie but it's not Reimer

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Ottawa absolutely needs another goalie but it's not Reimer

His cap hit is 3.4 million, but he'll be making only 850k in real money... so I think he's an ideal goalie for the cash strapped Sens in need of reaching the cap floor

The hope would be he has a solid first half of the season, and then can be flipped at the deadline for an additional pick/prospect

Reactions: Luckylarry

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->