Proposal: Reimer Reason: OTT + CAR

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
To Ottawa: #13, Gardiner, Reimer

To Carolina: #95, Mike Reilly (and 6 million in immediate cap space)

Ottawa get the 13 pick in a strong draft, plus a solid goaltender whose base salary is only 850k next season, and who can hopefully be flipped at the deadline for an additional pick/prospect. Gardiner will be off the books by the time the players drafted this year will be due for extensions

Carolina dump Gardiner's contract, get a solid replacement for a year in Reilly, plus clear approx. 6 million in cap space for next season. That 6 million in cap space could be used to sign a #1 goaltender like Markstrom

Last edited:

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Couple of problems here

1. Ottawa has no need for another goalie, they already have Nilsson and Hogberg.

2. Gardiner has a 7 team NTC. Ottawa might be on it. Not to mention, Ottawa may not have interest in Gardiner’s contract.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
+1 on the title.

-1 on Carolina not getting a G back

Net result: 0 like my NHL games

Do you want Nilsson or Hogberg included?

I said in the OP the Canes clear 6 million in cap space which can be put towards landing a #1 goaltender... there are quite a few on the free-agent market this off-season

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Couple of problems here

1. Ottawa has no need for another goalie, they already have Nilsson and Hogberg.

2. Gardiner has a 7 team NTC. Ottawa might be on it. Not to mention, Ottawa may not have interest in Gardiner’s contract.

Of course Ottawa doesn't have interest in Gardiner's contract... but they reluctantly take it on in order to land the 13th pick, plus an upgrade in net

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Of course Ottawa doesn't have interest in Gardiner's contract... but they reluctantly take it on in order to land the 13th pick, plus an upgrade in net

Upgrade in net is debatable. Not sure Reimer is an upgrade on what we have, plus like I already said, we don’t need a goalie. Also, you’re ignoring Gardiner’s wishes. What if Ottawa is on his seven team NTC and he won’t waive?

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

The Canes already have Cap space to sign a goalie. They have no need to move Gardiner. He's a good piece to have on the 3rd pair and can move up if injuries occur.

Reactions: qqaz

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Id do Nilsson, 3rd rounder, and Reilly for Gardiner, 1st, and Reimer but I don't see why Carolina would.

Reactions: gab6511

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
.[MOD]

3rd round pick for Reimer would be fine. He's a positive value asset and the Canes are getting lots of calls on him. Leave #13 and Gardiner out of it.
Even with his contract I'd say Gardiner has more value than Reimer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: WreckingCrew

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
The Canes already have Cap space to sign a goalie. They have no need to move Gardiner. He's a good piece to have on the 3rd pair and can move up if injuries occur.

Canes have money this year, but Svechnikov and Hamilton (if he re-signs) are both due for raises next season...

And Gardiner was -24 this season, the next worst player on the Canes was -7

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020

I disagree...

Reimer is owed only 850k this season in real money

Gardiner is signed to 3 more seasons at a 4 million cap hit, and is coming off a year in which he was -24

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Debatable. Gardiner hasn’t looked the same since his back injury and Reimer had a solid season while his replacement in Florida(Bob) faltered. Some gms may see Reimer as a solid backup who can start 40% of games in the event of injury. HIS Lackluster performance with the Panthers may have been more on the Panthers than him. Meanwhile Gardiner was signed based on his previous reputation and hasn’t been himself in years.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Debatable. Gardiner hasn’t looked the same since his back injury and Reimer had a solid season while his replacement in Florida(Bob) faltered. Some gms may see Reimer as a solid backup who can start 40% of games in the event of injury. HIS Lackluster performance with the Panthers may have been more on the Panthers than him. Meanwhile Gardiner was signed based on his previous reputation and hasn’t been himself in years.
Defensemen always have value.
Career fringe starters don't.

Jack Johnson returned value.
Erik Gudbranson returned value.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
If we trade the 13th to Ottawa, I at the very least want to get back a valuable piece like Zaitsev or the rights to Boro.

Zaitsev makes sense if the Canes can't re-sign Hamilton, but otherwise he's an expensive 3rd pairing RD behind Hamilton and Pesce...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad