Reimer or Bernier?

Fabulous

Life & Death
May 13, 2013
Canada
Reimer deserved the start tonight, Bernier Saturday. Though know it looks like Bernier for a while due to Reimer's injury. Hope he isn't out too long.

wulfio*

Lets put this whole issue in perspective. James Reimer has a cap hit of 1.8m per season and Jonathan Bernier has a cap hit of 2.9m per season. Now let me ask 'General Managers of the NHL if given the opportunity to obtain 2 goalies with a combined NHL cap hit of 4.7m and a winning percentage of 85%, would you be interested?' Without a doubt each GM would definitely look into the possibility. Most teams have a single goalie with a higher cap hit and all of them have a worse record than Toronto's duo. Do not panic there is no need to move/trade either because they are one lucky team to have 2 young goalies still with lots of potential and the drive that will make them better each year.

Leafs don't have a goalie controversy, this isn't Vancouver, Toronto is happy to have two young quality goalies who can steal us games, it's early but this is clearly the best goalie tandem in the league so far.

Better to have 2 capable goaltenders battling than having 2 goalies who can't stop anything *cough*oilers*cough*.

I don't think you understand locker room dynamics. This is not a controversy now, but it will be. And these guys aren't 20 years old happy to be in the league. You have a valid argument, if you're talking about EA Sports NHL 2014. But both of them feel they deserve to be the starter. And if the situation is allowed to last long enough, it will turn in to a controversy just like was had in vancouver.

I would bet money that this situation is not allowed to go on beyond Reimers RFA status ending. And a good possibility that by next years negotiations with Reimer, one of them gets moved.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
If Reimer is out for any length of time, does that make McIntyre the obvious call-up choice for back-up to Bernier?

Tyler Biggs*

Anyone who has watched Reimer play in the NHL knows that the competition was always there: Reimer is the king of bouncing back whether it's after an injury over an extended period or one bad game. If they really had to, the Leafs could manage a full, successful season with Reimer in for the vast majority of the games, but now they've got Bernier, and he seems to be a similar kind of goalie, so half a season for each will work out perfectly for these two. Plus, the rest of the team has already proven that they can score goals regardless of who is in net (or even how few shots they can manage), so the Leafs look like a very dangerous team right now.

Better to have this problem, than to have the one the Oilers currently have....

I don't care who plays net, as long as we win it doesn't matter.

Phaneuffan3

Beleafer
Aug 22, 2011
The HC - Ontario
omitting the game winner tonight Bernie has been lights outs, with a potential Reim injury this could be the opportunity Bernier has been looking for. If JR happens to be out 3-4 weeks Bernier could steal the number one roll.

I hope JR isn't hurt too bad and can get back in there. I feel like Bernier has been given a bit of a 'look' so to speak, not that he's been bad or anything, but I think after the body of work JR has given the leafs it would be nice to see him get a string of games. It would be good for Reim but it would also be nice to gauge the way the team plays in font of both goalies,

Tyler Biggs*

A great problem to have and one that gives the Leafs a legitimate shot at making the playoffs this year.

There's no controversy if both goalies are winning. Let the hot goalie ride but don't overwork either of them.

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011
3 goals in the 3rd period is no excellent.

Did you watch the game?

Hasek in his prime couldn't have stopped the 1st goal. Deflected high off Boland's stick.

3rd goal can be chalked up to the early stages of hybrid icing and the accompanying confusion. Unlikely to ever happen again.

Only the 2nd goal can be attributed to poor goaltending. And even then, it was an Eric Staal wrister from the slot. I don't have a problem with that going in.

Bernier was solid tonight. One of the few reasons why the game remained close.

spidergoalie

Aug 9, 2009
Kamloops, BC, Canada
I agree the 3rd one probably doesn't happen again, but it was his fault.
Especially given the confusion that can arise with hybrid icing (or regular icing for that matter) he needed to stay in the play until he hears the whistle.

To truly be a great goalie, you need to be clutch. I mean isn't that what the #teamBernier people say about game 7?

He played a solid game, and then had a brain fart at a crucial point. Doesn't mean the team in front of him shouldn't have played better, but he has to be held responsible.

You can bet your bottom dollar Bernier isn't saying he played great and it was the refs fault, or the linesman's fault, or the team needed to play better. He knows he blew it and it cost the game.
He will do better next time.

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011
I agree the 3rd one probably doesn't happen again, but it was his fault.
Especially given the confusion that can arise with hybrid icing (or regular icing for that matter) he needed to stay in the play until he hears the whistle.

To truly be a great goalie, you need to be clutch. I mean isn't that what the #teamBernier people say about game 7?

He played a solid game, and then had a brain fart at a crucial point. Doesn't mean the team in front of him shouldn't have played better, but he has to be held responsible.

You can bet your bottom dollar Bernier isn't saying he played great and it was the refs fault, or the linesman's fault, or the team needed to play better. He knows he blew it and it cost the game.
He will do better next time.

It was a ridiculous play that will likely never happen again. I'd be concerned about Bernier's clutch factor if he had allowed a bad goal off an actual shot.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Bernier should get the most starts, stop being in love with players, Reimer is great i agree but Bernier is elite

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
Bernier should get the most starts, stop being in love with players, Reimer is great i agree but Bernier is elite

Both goalies have been playing great, why do we need to automatically give Bernier the most starts? And to call him an elite goalie now 8 games into the season is laughable. He's a great goalie now yes, but elite? Time will tell.

ladelfm

Jul 5, 2010
Too many hardons for reimer in leaf nation. Not watching fat rebounds on literally every single shot on goal is reason enough to have Bernier start most games. It's should be nice to watch a goalie actually save the puck as opposed to reimer letting the puck just hit him and hope no one bats in the juicy rebound. Leivo did leaf nation a favour!

spg2000

Mar 2, 2013
As a Bruins fan I definitely feel better about our chances to win with Reimer in net than Bernier. Reimer is a solid goaltender, but Bernier has far better positioning and is just a much higher-level talent overall. Reimer has done a great job of recovering from all of these huge rebounds he gives up - but I just think that's going to start biting him sooner rather than later. It just has to.

Having two strong goalies is awesome though. The only bummer for the Leafs in this situation is that they're both the same age, so it's harder to create a succession plan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad