Reimer and Bernier will they be like Bester and Wregget or Elliot and Halak?

WeWantACup

Oct 15, 2011
Toronto
www.wewantacup.com
On todays show hosts Sean Bowen (yes Joe's son) and Matteo talk about the compatibility of the two goalies. We get a few words from Bester on competing for the #1 spot. Will they excel together?

MP3
http://podalmighty.com/?album=leaf-matters

ITunes
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/leaf-matters/id577173646?mt=2

Leafs-Matter-Logo.jpg

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Neither.. it's going to start out more like a Varlamov/Neuvirth platoon when they had it going a couple of years ago.

However when (and not if) the smoke clears, I do see Bernier eventually atop the peak and our clear-cut #1.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Yeah I think there is a bit of an injury concern with Reimer. I think he's still a good goalie but I also think Bernier will be our number 1 by mid-season if not earlier.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I can confidently say that one goalie whose last name ends in ER will be our starting goaltender.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
If Reimer went down due to injury would anybody really want Scrivens to carry out the rest of the season? Scriv was an incredible college and minor league goalie, but I don't think his game will translate to the NHL - I know they're totally different positions but look at Mike Kostka for reference. Ben's glove hand was weaker than Reimer's and his rebound control made Reimer look like Tuukka Rask.

We traded a backup goalie for a potential starting goalie, along with a replaceable player who may not have even been in our lineup and a 2nd round pick. This was fair value for both teams.

These guys are both pro's, and they both will push each other harder and harder. If one of them becomes disenchanted by this process then they probably weren't Cup material to begin with. The main people who hate this trade are the ones who especially like Frattin or Reimer. Fans from other teams are congratulating us for this trade, and many experts are commending Nonis as well. I don't care who takes the reins as the starter so long as they carry us deeper than we would normally go with an average tender, a title that certainly doesn't apply to Bernier or Reimer.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
I have no idea folks.

I just hope they have friendly competition and by next year we have an idea of who is the more reliable of the two. I'm sure there value will only go up

Ace88*

Raycroft and toskala

I kid, i kid. im still ticked that nonis didnt addrsss an actual positional issue however.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
We eventually traded Wreggett for 2-1st round picks which would be great.
Now if that happens again please tell the GM he doesn't have to pick all 3-1st rounder's from the same junior team....right Gord Stelleck!!

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Raycroft and toskala

I kid, i kid. im still ticked that nonis didnt addrsss an actual positional issue however.

To be accurate, you're ticked that Nonis didn't address what you see as a positional issue. It seems clear to me based on Nonis' attempts to land a goalie at the deadline that he saw goaltending as a positional issue.

Ace88*

To be accurate, you're ticked that Nonis didn't address what you see as a positional issue. It seems clear to me based on Nonis' attempts to land a goalie at the deadline that he saw goaltending as a positional issue.

if that's the case, then Nonis is even more stubborn than Burke. Reimer did nothing but put up outstanding play down the stretch and in the playoffs.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
if that's the case, then Nonis is even more stubborn than Burke. Reimer did nothing but put up outstanding play down the stretch and in the playoffs.

So did M.A. Fleury when the Pens won the cup and now look what happened to him these playoffs. I know it's not that great a comparison, but an NHL season is 82 games long and Reimer may or may not be able to provide the same high level of play throughout the season and into the playoffs. Having a more sure answer helps the team. And the best part is that either "sure answer" can suddenly get hot and provide a needed burst of consistent quality goaltending.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Reimer has not shown himself to be durable.
In a 82 games schedule you would be foolish to go all in on Reimer and Scrivens.
Nonis must have agreed and we will see if it is better to be safe than sorry.

I like it!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad