Rumor: Reimer’s tenure in CAR could be short

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
They can retain the full amount, and over the lifetime of the contract, it would still save them money compared to what they would have had to pay on a Darling buyout.

And if they can't find a good taker out there, they have a reclamation project for at least a year. If it doesn't pan out, they only need to buy out the last year.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
And if they can't find a good taker out there, they have a reclamation project for at least a year. If it doesn't pan out, they only need to buy out the last year.
he cost less than darling to sit in the ahl

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
They can retain the full amount, and over the lifetime of the contract, it would still save them money compared to what they would have had to pay on a Darling buyout.

See I dont get why Florida didn't do this in the first place. Reimer at $1.8m isnt the worst option for a backup. Montreal, Columbus or Minnesota could all be fits.

Hell, maybe even back to Floirda with retention? Altho that's probably not allowed

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Carolina has 6 picks in the first 3 rounds in the 2020 draft. Could see them dropping one or two of those to get rid of Reimer altogether.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
See I dont get why Florida didn't do this in the first place. Reimer at $1.8m isnt the worst option for a backup. Montreal, Columbus or Minnesota could all be fits.

Hell, maybe even back to Floirda with retention? Altho that's probably not allowed

Probably no one was willing to bite. The trade is a worst version of that strategy. Perhaps GMs did not want to help the Panthers, but I doubt it

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Really don’t get how this trade helped Florida at all. Higher cap, same term, worse goalie coming back

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Really don’t get how this trade helped Florida at all. Higher cap, same term, worse goalie coming back

Cap hit on the buyout is more balanced over the 4 years.
19-20: Darling 1.23M, Reimer 0.958M
20-21: Darling 2.33M, Reimer 3.21M
21-22: Darling 1.18M, Reimer 0.658M
22-23: Darling 1.18M, Reimer 0.658M

20-21 gets an extra $900K against the cap, which could be a big deal when trying to add a couple of big UFA salaries.

Reactions: Leafs87

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Montreal host the draft, have some space and need a backup goalie.
If Montreal strikes out on UFAs, it would be smart to do that. Get an overpaid backup for 2 years where you don't need cap space and collect assets along the way. Get Molson to spend that un-used roster money.

2nd + 3rd round pick in 2020 should be enough. However, Carolina needs someone to play in their net as well, and they have the cap space.

Reactions: Richard88

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
If Montreal strikes out on UFAs, it would be smart to do that. Get an overpaid backup for 2 years where you don't need cap space and collect assets along the way. Get Molson to spend that un-used roster money.

2nd + 3rd round pick in 2020 should be enough. However, Carolina needs someone to play in their net as well, and they have the cap space.

Are you actually suggesting the Canes would need to add a 2nd AND a 3rd to dump Reimer???

Why not just keep him as backup? 2 top 90 picks to dump $3.4M in cap for 2 years, when the team could actually use the player, is just silly to suggest.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Are you actually suggesting the Canes would need to add a 2nd AND a 3rd to dump Reimer???

Why not just keep him as backup? 2 top 90 picks to dump $3.4M in cap for 2 years, when the team could actually use the player, is just silly to suggest.
Yes, I do think moving Reimer contract would cost them something substantial.

Buying out Marleau's contract (3,7 millions in real money I think?) cost the Leafs a late 1st.

A team that wants to buy out Reimer would have to pay 4,9 millions in real money.

Never said they will trade him, if you try to read what I wrote. I know its hard to read until the end.

Reactions: Richard88

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Yes, I do think moving Reimer contract would cost them something substantial.

Buying out Marleau's contract (3,7 millions in real money I think?) cost the Leafs a late 1st.

A team that wants to buy out Reimer would have to pay 4,9 millions in real money.

Never said they will trade him, if you try to read what I wrote. I know its hard to read until the end.

No need to try and justify silliness. That’s the point of it, it’s just silly.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad