Reilly Smith

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Reminds me of Chuck Kobasew...

With the exception that he doesn`t pull a hammy while sneezing;)

Loved Chucky and for me, he and Hamilton have been the two B`s I have been impressed with the most, with Smith being the most pleasant surprise.

I`m seeing Soderberg in the last few games looking like he`s catching up to speed a bit after his ankle injury which is a positive too

theswede2013

Feb 26, 2013
Smith reminds me of a younger bergy playing Wing. solid defensively good hands and creative seems to make the smart plays.

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island

I've been trying to figure this guy out since he made the team out of camp. Where does he fit? What is his upside? What do I expect from him? Would the team look better with him in or out of the lineup?

Well... Here we are. And we have a third line that looks extremely frustrating to play against. Smith with Soderberg and Kelly. That's where he fits (and fits WELL) and I hope these lines are permanent. All three players look like monsters together.

Smith finally looks to me, like a solid addition to this team.

He has surprised everyone (and clearly, the B's coaching staff and FO) right out of the gate... and though it is still early in the season, there has been plenty of time for his game to fall off and prove himself to be a fluke.

But that hasn't happened. Instead, he seems to be getting better... last nights goal (compliments of a great forecheck by Soderberg) will give him the confidence he needs to start shooting it more as he continues to pile up assists.

To me, he's had enough NHL ice time on this Bruins squad for me to comfortably say that:

1. He has solid hockey instincts, good hockey IQ, however you want to say it.

2. He is cool-headed and calm under pressure in high-traffic areas, he doesn't panic and treat the puck like a hot potato. He appears (thus far) to have good hands and that is more important than commonly understood by casual fans.

3. He has good vision and has -- whether they end up becoming assists or not -- made some very creative and/or well-timed passes.

--Sometimes he's even caught teammates off-guard because they weren't expecting the pass... in part because Smith seems to have a knack for these clever little short passes than can catch opposing defenses out of position or just burn them outright.

He has demonstrated in his time here so far that he lacks a polished scoring touch... but with more confidence i think that could be improved upon.

Regardless of that flaw, i watch him play/skate and i see a kid with a winning mentality. A kid who is more mature than his age (only 22 y/o let's remember) might indicate... much different than Seguin in that respect.

Most importantly, i see a player who can not only just fit into a winning team lineup -- but actually be an important cog in a SCF-caliber team's system.

I am looking forward to Reilly building chemistry with Soderberg (another great-value player i am very high on) playing alongside a hardened veteran in Kelly. Our 3rd line has the potential to be a lot better than it was last year... especially in the playoffs.

Perhaps the B's scouts knew what they were getting when Chia pulled the trigger on the Seguin trade. How Smith pans out might end up being a difference-maker for all those people who NEED a designated "winner" of any given trade ;)

Very impressed... and i'll say it one more time to qualify everything i have typed to this point, SO FAR. But like i said, we have a big enough sample by now to have a decent idea what we have. At 22, he can only improve playing on a quality team.

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island
Paille probably not happy he remains on The Black Hole line while Smith plays on top 6 and 9

I feel for Paille. While he is responsible for his own level of play, it is hard to get into a productive groove playing with a 36 y/o "past it" Shawn Thornton and a guy who was nursing a broken leg in the offseason (Campbell, obviously).

The nostalgia for the Merlot line has to go. When Smith and Soderberg come of age in the NHL, there will be a time when Kelly should center [what would be] an improved 4th line, and Ryan Spooner come up from Providence to center the Smith/Yeti 3rd line.

Paille's production would go up playing with Kelly/Campbell as opposed to Thornton/Campbell. Either way, Paille is one of the best 4th line players in the NHL.

Still, i think Smith just has more upside and IMO it is the right move keeping him in the top-9. Paille is a faster skater, but Smith has a wider skill-set... if Paille had better hands (something Smith DOES seem to have) then perhaps it would be a different story.

I think there will be a time in the future where the 3rd line is Soderberg-Spooner-Smith. And while there's the chance it doesn't work out... that line just OOZES of potential.

In the meantime, Spooner can continue to improve in Providence while Soderberg and Smith get used to playing with each other (or in the NHL, for that matter).

Kelly gets some heat (mostly because he is overpaid) but he plays hard and can facilitate some nice offensive drives here and there... i think letting him center the 4th line w/Paille and Soupy will do wonders to making the Bruins' 4th line one of the best in the NHL again.

At the moment, Merlot does not look anything close to what it did in years past. Thornton is holding them back, as is Campbell's rust (although that excuse will only pass for so long).

This sentiment is not motivated by Thorty-hate, i love the guy but IMO his time is up. It is motivated by my wanting an effective 4th line that can make an impact, and the notion that Spooner deserves a closer look at the NHL level.

Stats aren't everything, but 2 games 2 points sounds like it at least warrants a closer look. I have high hopes for Spooner... but alas, his time will come. And Paille will also pick up his game eventually, playing with Thorty or not.

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I feel for Paille. While he is responsible for his own level of play, it is hard to get into a productive groove playing with a 36 y/o "past it" Shawn Thornton and a guy who was nursing a broken leg in the offseason (Campbell, obviously).

The nostalgia for the Merlot line has to go. When Smith and Soderberg come of age in the NHL, there will be a time when Kelly should center [what would be] an improved 4th line, and Ryan Spooner come up from Providence to center the Smith/Yeti 3rd line.

Paille's production would go up playing with Kelly/Campbell as opposed to Thornton/Campbell. Either way, Paille is one of the best 4th line players in the NHL.

Still, i think Smith just has more upside and IMO it is the right move keeping him in the top-9. Paille is a faster skater, but Smith has a wider skill-set... if Paille had better hands (something Smith DOES seem to have) then perhaps it would be a different story.

I think there will be a time in the future where the 3rd line is Soderberg-Spooner-Smith. And while there's the chance it doesn't work out... that line just OOZES of potential.

In the meantime, Spooner can continue to improve in Providence while Soderberg and Smith get used to playing with each other (or in the NHL, for that matter).

Kelly gets some heat (mostly because he is overpaid) but he plays hard and can facilitate some nice offensive drives here and there... i think letting him center the 4th line w/Paille and Soupy will do wonders to making the Bruins' 4th line one of the best in the NHL again.

At the moment, Merlot does not look anything close to what it did in years past. Thornton is holding them back, as is Campbell's rust (although that excuse will only pass for so long).

This sentiment is not motivated by Thorty-hate, i love the guy but IMO his time is up. It is motivated by my wanting an effective 4th line that can make an impact, and the notion that Spooner deserves a closer look at the NHL level.

Stats aren't everything, but 2 games 2 points sounds like it at least warrants a closer look. I have high hopes for Spooner... but alas, his time will come. And Paille will also pick up his game eventually, playing with Thorty or not.

I generally agree with most of what you say but I really can't buy into the thinking that Smith is a better hockey player than Paille.Love the way the kid is playing but I still think Paille is the best player in the bottom 6.No,he isn't offensively gifted but he literally has not been given much of a chance to demonstrate that this year but some of the blame is his as he certainly is underperforming this year.

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island
I generally agree with most of what you say but I really can't buy into the thinking that Smith is a better hockey player than Paille.Love the way the kid is playing but I still think Paille is the best player in the bottom 6. No,he isn't offensively gifted but he literally has not been given much of a chance to demonstrate that this year but some of the blame is his as he certainly is underperforming this year.

I certainly see where you are coming from. This is why i stressed Smith's "upside" and/or potential moving forward when i said Reilly is a top-9 guy (as in, 3rd line).

I even said, if Paille had better hands the choice would be even tougher. But arguments can be made for both players being in the top-9, Paille is a proven veteran and still young. He also played very well in the SC playoffs.

That is also why i said that i felt bad for Paille because a player of his caliber deserves better linemates to maximize his potential. It's tough... but obviously Claude and the rest of the B's coaching staff are pretty high on Smith. Reilly MUST be doing something right in team practices.

In the end it's a wash... you could say the two players are interchangeable. Part of my rationale, aside from Paille's stone-hands (which he makes up for in other departments), is that IMO Smith's playmaking ability would be demolished if he were put on that struggling 4th line.

Even though Merlot has been off to a terrible start, at least Paille has been playing with that same group for awhile now and he knows the various tendencies, the ins and outs of Thorty/Campbell's games. There is a comfort level there, even in the midst of a line-slump, that only Paille could have on the 4th line. OTOH, Smith's progress would be impeded if he were dropped down there.

Even if his linemates are holding him back, Paille still brings his speed and scoring ability to the table to help make the 4th line more of a threat... regardless of the rut they're in right now.

Smith, being [apparently] a much better playmaker/passer than he a goal-scorer and having a pass-first mentality, in my mind makes him a better fit to play alongside higher-skilled players like Soderberg -- and/or Spooner when he gets another call-up -- (or Kelly for that matter) that can make better use of Reilly's vision and passing ability.

It's still a toss-up, and i still feel bad for Danny P... but i have a feeling that putting Smith on the 4th line would hinder the progress he has been making as he transitions into a full-time NHL player with a spot on a quality roster. He certainly wouldn't be racking up assists like he has thus far in the season.

As i implied, Smith being only 22 y/o and still having room -- as well as [ostensibly] the capability -- for improvement just might be the tie-breaker in this comparison. Not just for me, but it seems also for Claude and the rest of his staff. Otherwise Reilly would already be drinking Merlot with Thorty and a not-quite-yet-100% Greg Campbell... no??

Last edited:

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I certainly see where you are coming from. This is why i stressed Smith's "upside" and/or potential moving forward when i said Reilly is a top-9 guy (as in, 3rd line).

I even said, if Paille had better hands the choice would be even tougher. But arguments can be made for both players being in the top-9, Paille is a proven veteran and still young. He also played very well in the SC playoffs.

That is also why i said that i felt bad for Paille because a player of his caliber deserves better linemates to maximize his potential. It's tough... but obviously Claude and the rest of the B's coaching staff are pretty high on Smith. Reilly MUST be doing something right in team practices.

In the end it's a wash... you could say the two players are interchangeable. Part of my rationale, aside from Paille's stone-hands (which he makes up for in other departments), is that IMO Smith's playmaking ability would be demolished if he were put on that struggling 4th line.

Even though Merlot has been off to a terrible start, at least Paille has been playing with that same group for awhile now and he knows the various tendencies, the ins and outs of Thorty/Campbell's games. There is a comfort level there, even in the midst of a line-slump, that only Paille could have on the 4th line. OTOH, Smith's progress would be impeded if he were dropped down there.

Even if his linemates are holding him back, Paille still brings his speed and scoring ability to the table to help make the 4th line more of a threat... regardless of the rut they're in right now.

Smith, being [apparently] a much better playmaker/passer than he a goal-scorer and having a pass-first mentality, in my mind makes him a better fit to play alongside higher-skilled players like Soderberg -- and/or Spooner when he gets another call-up -- (or Kelly for that matter) that can make better use of Reilly's vision and passing ability.

It's still a toss-up, and i still feel bad for Danny P... but i have a feeling that putting Smith on the 4th line would hinder the progress he has been making as he transitions into a full-time NHL player with a spot on a quality roster. He certainly wouldn't be racking up assists like he has thus far in the season.

As i implied, Smith being only 22 y/o and still having room -- as well as [ostensibly] the capability -- for improvement just might be the tie-breaker in this comparison. Not just for me, but it seems also for Claude and the rest of his staff. Otherwise Reilly would already be drinking Merlot with Thorty and a not-quite-yet-100% Greg Campbell... no??

Nice counter,as always but I am not sure Smith is playing above Paille as a result of his more complete game.The Bruins 4th line is obviously an established one and did we really expect to see them split up to start the year? I actually prefer Paille on the 4th line because he is such a beautiful skater that he can almost hold a line together, defensively on his own.Smith is where he should be,for the time being,but since the Bruins are a team that wins by committee with all 4 lines contributing I think we may have to tinker with the bottom 6, the Merlot line isn't where it should be.

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
Well, don't your words already make the argument? Paille is needed on that 4th line to keep it together.

Smith has shown himself to be an extremely good complementary player who just makes his linemates in line 3 better. They are where they belong right now even if we admit that Paille's speed/skills are somewhat wasted on a 4th line.

Also Smith is still a developing young player at age 22 who still has upside to grow into. I think Paille is pretty much a finished product - a guy strong enough to play on most NHL 3rd lines, but who is just a beast as a 4th liner.

I mean that's how the Bruins roll right? The 4 line philosophy, we'll beat you with depth. ;)

I think the only realistic change we might see to the lines in the future is IF Spooner gets called up to center line3 and Kelly gets dropped down to center line4 and Thornton gets kicked out to 13th forward.

Our 2nd line is still a work in progress, but maybe they will develop chemistry down the road, I think that's what Clode is hoping for. If changes still need to be made later, we will make a move at the Trade Deadline.

Nice counter,as always but I am not sure Smith is playing above Paille as a result of his more complete game.The Bruins 4th line is obviously an established one and did we really expect to see them split up to start the year? I actually prefer Paille on the 4th line because he is such a beautiful skater that he can almost hold a line together, defensively on his own.Smith is where he should be,for the time being,but since the Bruins are a team that wins by committee with all 4 lines contributing I think we may have to tinker with the bottom 6, the Merlot line isn't where it should be.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
I'm really torn on whether or not he'll be able to be a contributor come late April/May/June. I'm a little worried that what we see now is the best we'll see of him, and he'll be like Blake Wheeler in the playoffs. But who knows. Could be a mini Horton. And I can't complain about what we've gotten out of him so far. He's definitely surpassed my expectations.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I think I'd like to see them switch around Smith and Eriksson for the forseeable future. They're forcing chemistry between Eriksson and Marchand/Bergeron and it just isn't working. Smith can stretch out the D a bit with his speed like Seguin used to do, and Smith is more adept at doing things at a higher pace and working in the corners, which could come in more handy on that line. I'd like a better finisher on that line, but Eriksson isn't shooting, so might as well try Smith.

Eriksson gets to play with Soderberg. Maybe they can get something going with their more cerebral games. Kelly can do more of the dirty work.

Ceff Jarter

Registered Duster
Aug 6, 2012
Watched Smith for a few years in college. He was a shoot first player who benefited from play-making centers. As he gets more confidence in the NHL he should regain his scoring touch

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Watched Smith for a few years in college. He was a shoot first player who benefited from play-making centers. As he gets more confidence in the NHL he should regain his scoring touch

His playmaking prowess has stood out more than anything. He's made a bunch of ridiculous passes this year.

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I think I'd like to see them switch around Smith and Eriksson for the forseeable future. They're forcing chemistry between Eriksson and Marchand/Bergeron and it just isn't working. Smith can stretch out the D a bit with his speed like Seguin used to do, and Smith is more adept at doing things at a higher pace and working in the corners, which could come in more handy on that line. I'd like a better finisher on that line, but Eriksson isn't shooting, so might as well try Smith.

Eriksson gets to play with Soderberg. Maybe they can get something going with their more cerebral games. Kelly can do more of the dirty work.
I think we should leave the 3rd line alone for a while. As Bergeron and Marchand pick up their games, the line will improve whether or not Eriksson does.The 3rd line as it is now has been a pleasant surprise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->