Regulation and Overtime Wins

nyrtrublue

Oct 14, 2008
Not sure if this is the right prefix but I was just looking at the standings today I noticed that only Bruins and Pens have more Regularion/Overtime wins than us and that 4 of the teams chasing(DET, WASH, NJD and OTT) us have 10+ OTL/SOL. Am I seriously overrating this or does this play a huge factor when we think about the level of success this team would have over a playoff run. We look at how we are clinging on for dear life to clinch a playoff berth and I feel like a lot of us write us off as an early exit team but when you consider that what is helping other teams in the race wouldnt help in the playoffs is it something that we as Ranger fans are overlooking?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Until 11-12 I would agree with you, but in 11-12 the Devils had a ridiculous number of shootout wins and I figured they were screwed in the playoffs. Well they won a bunch of OT games in the playoffs and made the Cup Finals.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I think regulation record is a better indicator of playoff success than ROW. But the OP's point remains.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blueshirt Special

Shady Brey
Feb 28, 2007
NJ
www.linespeedconsulting.com
Wanna watch exciting regular season hockey?

Regulation win should be 3 points.

Regular season games would be much more interesting. Less playing for the tie, more urgency to win.

The current system makes the playoff race artificial.

It's a very simple change and nothing has to be done about what to do in OT/SO Since there will be less of it.

JMHO

phillyb

Jan 21, 2014

great point. manufactured playoff race with the 3-point-game/loser point.

another thing to think of...you look at the top 8 in each division, only three of 16 have more than 8 ties. then you start looking at the bottom of each division and you start seeing much higher tie numbers.
three teams in the east have 13 ties.

SkaaH2X.png
AD758zn.png

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The Rangers might be third (tied with Philly and Montreal), but the gap between them and second is pretty significant.

jskramer83

Nov 11, 2011
This is always an interesting debate, neither is a better indicator then the other. You have no way of telling weather a team constantly blows third period leads or a team constantly comes back from down to tie games to send them to overtime.

I will guarantee by page two the usual sub-debate will start so lets get it over with....

Personally I prefer the NHL switching to awarding teams a 3-2-1 pt system like everywhere else. (just starting the inevitable)

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
Wanna watch exciting regular season hockey?

Regulation win should be 3 points.

Regular season games would be much more interesting. Less playing for the tie, more urgency to win.

It's a very simple change and nothing has to be done about what to do in OT/SO Since there will be less of it.

JMHO

I agree with this. Or, simply award two points for a victory and zero points for a loss regardless how the outcome is determined. MLB teams don't get a consolation prize for taking the game to extra innings.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Only 4 teams in the east (Florida, Buffalo, Carolina and Isles) have more regulation losses than us, so it cuts both ways.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
For me, a better indication of whether a team is set for playoff success is comparing

A) their record vs playoff teams

with

B) their record vs non playoff teams

Blueshirt Special

Shady Brey
Feb 28, 2007
NJ
www.linespeedconsulting.com
The main point of changing to 3 point regulation wins is that it changes ervy teams approach regular season games right out of the gate. You do not want to have a lot of ties come Christmas time or you will be digging yourself a hole.

IMHO it would be akin to the NFL (of course to a lesser degree!), but in the same vein. Every week in the NFL the damn season is practically on the line. It makes the games VERY compelling, EVERY week.

Games would be a lot more fun to attend because there would be more on the line. I'm sure this has something to do with the deadening of the crowds BTW. (not to go OT)

This current point system is like prozac for playoff urgency.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad