Regulated Adjusted Plus/Minus Charts...

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
These are fairly widely used on this site and are often derided.

I try to be open-minded when it comes to different forms of analysis. If my understanding is correct (and I'm not pretending to be an expert on this analysis method), these charts are supposed to isolate individual player impact (both defensively and offensively) by comparing how a given player's team performs on offense and defense when he is on the ice to how his team performs on offense and defense when he is on the bench in five on five situations (I know PP and EN situations are excluded; I assume four on four and three on three situations are as well).

Assuming I am correct, this concept is actually very simple to grasp and it makes sense that people analyzing a sport would want to try to account for an individual player's overall impact.

For whatever reason, it seems a lot of people on this board have decided that these charts are completely meaningless. People make claims along the lines of, "I trust my eyes more than pretty little charts made by some geek who's never played hockey!"

I don't hold the opinion that RAPM is completely meaningless, but I do have a hard time accepting that certain outputs are entirely accurate representations of what they are supposed to measure.

Essentially, in certain cases, that the difference in defensive impact between two players at five on five is as large as it appears to be according to RAPM and there is no way to explain that difference other than, "Player A simply makes a much more beneficial or detrimental impact defensively" makes no intuitive sense to me.

I know these charts are supposed to account for teammate strength, quality of opposition and other context.

If we are talking about a player like, say, Patrice Bergeron, someone who is a well-schooled defensive centreman and is tasked with shutting down the opposition's best lines, I can definitely buy that he makes a much larger impact defensively than a scoring centre who isn't very good or committed defensively (Kuznetsov for example).

However, in certain instances - such as when two scoring line wingers are being compared and one has an RAMP chart that suggests he makes a far more team-friendly impact on defense than another scoring line winger - I am unable to grasp exactly how one player can that skates up down the wing and is primarily responsible for generating offense is supposed to affect his team's defense in a much different way than another winger who skates up and down the wing and has the same basic role.

What exactly are the things that Winger A is doing individually that cause him to have such a superior defensive impact to Winger B's? Is he finishing his checks more often, is he getting caught cheating up the ice less often, is he routinely backchecking harder? Keep in mind that I'm talking about offensive wingers here, not guys like Mark Stone.

Is the average scoring line winger really important enough defensively that he impacts his team's overall defensive game when he is on the ice in a far different manner than another scoring line winger impacts his team's overall defense when he's playing?

Another thing that I am curious about is how a seemingly random bottom six player (in this case, I am thinking specifically of Aston-Reese) made as much of an impact defensively as some claimed he did this past season (I assume his RAMP chart was really good for defense in 2020, but maybe there were different things that made some claim he should be in Selke consideration). For those who watched him play and/or those who believe he should have placed high in Selke voting: What were the particular things he was doing on the ice defensively that you believe he deserves credit for?

I hope my questions can be answered in a non-patronizing manner because these are genuine issues that keep me from embracing things like RAPM fully. If models such as RAMP are legitimate, then maybe we need to re-think the way we evaluate the game and put far more emphasis on details and smaller, more subtle things in hockey.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
You are correct in your assumption that RAPM attempts to isolate a player's impact, but the method is a bit more complicated than just looking at how a player's team performed with and without him. But, the goal of the statistic is to isolate a player's impact, and not necessarily to determine why a player has that impact, so some of these questions can't be answered without watching games.

Defense is just measured as the absence of offense against, so the answers also will vary wildly from player to player. One winger may have excellent defensive metrics because he is an elite forechecker who kills time with ineffective cycles in the offensive zone. Another winger may have excellent defensive metrics because he has better awareness of his pinching teammate defensemen in the offensive zone, and covers for them whenever necessary, while his teammates make no effort to cover for them. A third winger may have excellent defensive metrics because they dominate in board battles and frequently chip the puck out of the zone whenever it comes to their side of the ice.

In the same vein that one forward can score 50 goals and 50 assists, while another can score 20 goals and 80 assists, and both will have 100 points, all 3 of these hypothetical wingers may have a RAPM xGA/60 of -0.15 (good for 20th in the NHL this year), but all of them may go about achieving that result in vastly different ways. Again, there is no one answer that fits all sizes.

There are very few wingers who post consistently elite defensive results, and I'd suggest that the wingers who post consistently terrible defensive results such as Kane, Kessel, and Ovechkin are those who are shy to get involved in board battles in their own zone and do not put in high effort when backchecking or covering the point. There are firms that track microstats such as board battles, and they confirm this regarding Ovechkin. (Check the bottom left corner.)

Top-Defensive-Forwards-Individual.jpg

Since you asked about Zach-Aston Reese, here's an article that attempts to answer some of the questions you've raised about him in particular by using the eye test and stats: Zach Aston-Reese has the Best Defensive Stats in the NHL. How?!

Phil Kessel is one of the poster boys for wingers with terrible defensive analytics. What do you remember about his defensive game from his time with your team? That might be telling.

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
A guy like Kessel isn't going to fill in for a pinching dman, or stay above the puck/man as F3, or get it deep instead of trying to make a pass/shot (Even if it's forced)...not to mention giving a good effort on 1on1 defense or to loose pucks.

The thing about scoring line wingers is they are going to give the puck up and try to force plays more than a Zach Aston Reese which is going to hurt their defensive metrics simply by giving up possession of the puck at the risk of trying to manufacture a goal.

Unlike sports like baseball and football (where different players play offense/defense) what you do offensively has a direct and pretty big impact on what you might do defensively. Run and gun offensive teams are going to give stuff up defensively, obviously.

A guy like Sean Couturier, in addition to not being as talented, is never going to score like Connor McDavid, Nate MacKinnon or Pat Kane because of how he plays the game. A guy like Couturier isn't going to cheat, he's always gonna stay above his man, fill in for his pinching dman, and be the 1st guy on the backcheck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad